Dinosaurs return to life

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Watched the show 'Dinosaurs return to life' last night on discovery.

They stumbled on a way to get cells from a 60 million old fossil.

They have managed to find out how to re-enable the genes on chickens to make them grow some dinosaur parts .

They made a chicken with teeth, like those in a crocodile, tails like a dinosaur.
They also said that if they did create a living dinosaur now that it would have a bigger brain and probably be smarter .

Great thats just what we need, dinosaur chickens that are smart :)

I'm glad they showed the clip from Jurassic Park where they ask "Its not can we do this, but SHOULD WE" ?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks

They have managed to find out how to re-enable the genes on chickens to make them grow some dinosaur parts .

They made a chicken with teeth, like those in a crocodile, tails like a dinosaur.
They also said that if they did create a living dinosaur now that it would have a bigger brain and probably be smarter .

I'm glad they showed the clip from Jurassic Park where they ask "Its not can we do this, but SHOULD WE" ?
not quite.

according to this: http://www.discoverychannel.ca.../article.aspx?aid=6962

it seems that scientists are altering the genes of birds to rewind the clock.

scientists have failed to find any intact dna in dinosaurs, just pieces of proteins.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhill
I want to bbq a 50lb dinasour leg on July 4th.

Hurry up technology.
Yeah, we could start raising big herbivores, for everyone who wants bulk meat.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jhill
I want to bbq a 50lb dinasour leg on July 4th.

Hurry up technology.
I want one order of Brontosaurus ribs when I go to a drive-in.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

not quite.

scientists have failed to find any intact dna in dinosaurs, just pieces of proteins.

Watch the show.
They aren't trying to bring back dinosaurs from dna, they are talking about re-creating the dinosaur based on re-enabling dormant genes. Much easier than trying to bring back a dead species, instead alter a living one.

Several of the researchers said they expect to be able to re-create a t-rex like dinosaur in the next 50-100 years.

Thats the scary part.
You don't get an exact copy of the old dinosaur, you get a current living species with the dinosaurs attributes.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

not quite.

Watch the show.
They aren't trying to bring back dinosaurs from dna, they are talking about re-creating the dinosaur based on re-enabling dormant genes. Much easier than trying to bring back a dead species, instead alter a living one.

Several of the researchers said they expect to be able to re-create a t-rex like dinosaur in the next 50-100 years.

Great so in 2058 we'll be raiding countries because there were unconfirmed reports they had Dinosaurs of Mass Destruction...

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

not quite.

Watch the show.

Thats the scary part.
You don't get an exact copy of the old dinosaur, you get a current living species with the dinosaurs attributes.
I know this.

but you posted this:

actually they never did. You implied that's how they will recreate dinosaurs.

sorry if I missunderstood.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Can they mix it with pig genes? Think of the baby back ribs!
I think Japan is the only logical place to try it. They are already used to this sort of thing going wrong.