Dingo vs. Possum

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
My dog was begging me to go outside, so I go out with him. I'm assuming he just needs to pee, but he takes off across the yard. I give him a couple of minutes before I go looking for him. And apparently he had this possum playing dead. I then watched him bite it, and hear bone crunching. I yank him off of it, so he didn't catch anything. I then grabbed the cam and ran back out. The rest can be seen in the pics.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Well, did your dog kill it or is the face off still going on?

Originally posted by: compuwiz1
poor possum

did ya eat it?

And that's nasty Steve. Couldn't even imagine eating a rodent.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Update:

It's been downgraded from a confirmed kill to a severe mauling as it's gotten away. It can't be in good shape, as when the dog bit it, I heard bone crunching.

The search in on!

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: judasmachine
Update:

It's been downgraded from a confirmed kill to a severe mauling as it's gotten away. It can't be in good shape, as when the dog bit it, I heard bone crunching.

The search in on!

LOL. This could be fun!!

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Well, did your dog kill it or is the face off still going on?

poor possum

did ya eat it?

And that's nasty Steve. Couldn't even imagine eating a rodent.

I've had a few relatives that in response to what's for dinner got, "Possum."

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Update

Sorry to be anti-climatic, but we can't find him anywhere. He's probably under the house or something... :disgust:

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Update

Sorry to be anti-climatic, but we can't find him anywhere. He's probably under the house or something... :disgust:

He's probably meeting his lawyer over a nice "We're gonna be rich business dinner"...watch out for the mail man ;)

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: DarkThinker
Update

He's probably meeting his lawyer over a nice "We're gonna be rich business dinner"...watch out for the mail man ;)

Oh crap...

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
poor possum

No, definitely not poor possum. Possums are everywhere and they are pests. Now if they were endangered and don't carry rabies then it would be a different story.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah possums like lots of other little weird mammals are a nuisance and usually ill-tempered little maggots. I had to put the hurt on a woodchuck while walking down the road once.

And maybe if you can put this critter in the morgue you can mount the head on a plaque and display it outside your house. Then it will deter other pests and command respect of your badassery from the neighbors.

Your dog is cool too.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
not a dingo...I'd work on getting your dog to stay when asked. Win or lose with a possum is usually lose for the dog in someway.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Lots of misinformation about possums.
I read up on them after one night I was watching my cat eat when I noticed he had a friend eating with him . It was a possum.

The cat seemed fine with it , happily acting like they were friends, but I ran it off anyway.
Things I found out.

http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/

They do not hang from their tail.

Opossums are marsupials, or pouched mammals. Marsupials carry young in a pouch on the abdomen of the female. Relatives include the koala and kangaroo. The opossum holds the distinction of being North America?s only marsupial!

Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum?s low body temperature (94-97º F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum?s body.

Opossums are beneficial: eating the harmful, unwanted pests around your home such as snails, slugs, spiders, cockroaches, rats, mice and snakes. Think of the opossum as your free gardener. The opossum is known as ?Nature?s Little Sanitation Engineer? for a good reason!

Opossums are very opportunistic animals. If food is available, they will eat. We receive numerous pictures of opossums sharing a bowl of cat food with an outdoor cat. Adult cats and opossums seem to tolerate each other. Feeding wildlife is not recommended.

It is more likely that a dog will injure or kill an opossum. A cat may attack and kill young rat-sized opossums. Adult opossums and cats seem to have a mutual respect and leave each other alone. In general, opossums are docile, non-aggressive animals and will not attack your pets. They prefer to escape and avoid confrontations, if possible. If not, the threatened opossum may ?play ?possum?, show its teeth, or bite in self-defense, as any animal would.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: onlyCOpunk
that dog is hardly a dingo, and possums are nasty little effers.

He is a Carolina Dog, which are also called Dixie Dingos. They are semi-wild dogs found throughout the southeast.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Update

Hopefully he diddn't crawl into a hard to reach spot in your house to die.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Lots of misinformation about possums.

Yep. Don't know why there is so much hate for 'em. My husky would find one in the yard but just play with it as it played dead. We had one as a pet of sorts for a few weeks once. Named it Polly. :)

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
That possum is one ugly critter. To bad your dog didn't kill it, it may be the redneck in me but I always encourage my dog to kill the critters(we have chickens so we worry about small mammals because cougars and bears are too lazy to get in the cages and literally walk ten feet from them on our paths through the woods... lazy bastards). At least it ran off and won't bother you any more. My old dog use to always get into fights with anamals like these until we got our outdoor cat (9lbs) who manages to fight off or kill 20lb lynxs. One time he was running around our backyard trying to get a squirrel or a chipmunk(can't remember which, I was like 7 at the time) and the thing bit his nose and he started running around the outside of our house yelping trying to shake it off. Would have been funnier if it wasn't so painful