Ding Dong the Apex is dead!(i think)

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
well, the 72.00 apex i bought last summer finally STB.I always hated the remote to it anyways.
Rented Old School the other night,popped it in player says "No Disc" tried cleaning the DVD,same deal,tried another....

no luck.tried a reg Audio CD and nothing.

hmm..this apex case. might actually be enough to house a sff pc :Q

any suggestions?
additionally, what is a good sub $100 NON apex dvd player with component out?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii
Panasonic DVD-S35

Theres a $10 rebate at Best Buy as well as a $10 gift card. Might be a pretty sweet deal...

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
While I love my Apex 1200 series DVD player, it does have a "cheap" feel to it. Based on what I have heard, I expect it stop working any day now, and I have only had it a few months.

If that does happen, I'll probably just go out and buy another Apex model -- the damn things will read everything I throw at it!

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
What apex is it, might be able to sell at for sale forums at nerd-out.

I just bought the KLH 1220 from best buy (supposedly rebadged apex 1225) for reg.price of $49.95 it's got component outs (not progressive scan though). Decent remote and quiet unit (no vibration noises like the apex 1201 I tried). I also had tried a Memorex unit from Cir.City that was nice but the remote sucked (very awful layout). I hate the all-in-one remotes so I didn't want to go that route.

The KLH 1220 plays VCD/SVCD but not raw mpeg. It's got a Zoran chipset which isn't hackable (if that's your thing). There's one target sells, mintek 1600 supposed to be pretty good, plays everything just about, also not hackable from what i've read. The cyberhome 505 is supposed to be pretty good if you like the firmware stuff, not sure who sells that one.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I bought my Apex DVD player last summer. I noticed that if I leave the power on with a disc in it, the disc will never stop spinning, so I'm fairly vigilant about shutting it off when I'm not using it. It hasn't shown any signs of giving up yet.

I bought the Apex for the simple reason that I had an old TV, and I wanted to use the line-ins on my VCR. That requires the anti-macro-vision hack, and the hacks for Apex are very easy to find.

kuk

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2000
My Apex remote control shares the same code as my LG TV ... it's chaos!