[Digitimes] TSMC 7 nm update

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20171020PD205.html

I don't think this is new news exactly, but TSMC confirmed it is planning on entering mass production for their 7 nm node in 1H 2018, with risk production for 7+ (with EUV in some layers) later in the year. Given all the problems that Intel is having, might we see a decent volume product with TSMC 7 before Intel's 10? Apple I'm sure will be using it for the 2018 iPhone, maybe Qualcomm can get product out too in 2018.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20171020PD205.html

I don't think this is new news exactly, but TSMC confirmed it is planning on entering mass production for their 7 nm node in 1H 2018, with risk production for 7+ (with EUV in some layers) later in the year. Given all the problems that Intel is having, might we see a decent volume product with TSMC 7 before Intel's 10? Apple I'm sure will be using it for the 2018 iPhone, maybe Qualcomm can get product out too in 2018.
Given Intel's 10nm problems its obvious that TSMC will ship more 7nm wafers than Intel will ship 10nm wafers in 2018. A12 iPhone chip volume will dwarf Cannonlake volume next year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I still wonder why people continue to buy new phones. I would expect it to flatten out soon.
Then Intel can catch up again because the funds from mobile is obviously out of this world and have been for a handfull of years.
We probably have only seen the start of this ketchup effect. Both 3 and 5nm is in the pipeline for tsmc.

Reactions: ZGR

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I still wonder why people continue to buy new phones. I would expect it to flatten out soon.
Then Intel can catch up again because the funds from mobile is obviously out of this world and have been for a handfull of years.
We probably have only seen the start of this ketchup effect. Both 3 and 5nm is in the pipeline for tsmc.

Phones continually get better and the smartphone market keeps growing each year. Apple in the past has only had premium phones on the market with premium prices. I think apple is in a position to see big growth now that they are offering phones from $349-1k. Apple is also allowing trade-ins of the iphone5'or better and reselling them India which is a very smart business move.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Have to presume that there's also some non trivial chance of a giant machine learning GPU from NV. Smallish volume that of course.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Phones continually get better and the smartphone market keeps growing each year. Apple in the past has only had premium phones on the market with premium prices. I think apple is in a position to see big growth now that they are offering phones from $349-1k. Apple is also allowing trade-ins of the iphone5'or better and reselling them India which is a very smart business move.
Yeaa. What the heck i buy this stuff myself and use hrs a day on a phone. To this day i think the cpu in the 5s is plenty but hey it seemed apple had a solution for that...
Lets see perhaps some new comes up.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I don't know if that's different at your place but people being on phone contracts that allows them to pick a new mobile as part of it every one to two years are insanely common here.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I don't know if that's different at your place but people being on phone contracts that allows them to pick a new mobile as part of it every one to two years are insanely common here.

One step further: I'm on a special program at T mobile that allows me to trade in for a new phone up to 3 times in a rolling year for no fee. I could literally jump from one major phone release to another without keeping a phone more than a few months.

It's potentially incredibly wasteful, but keeps the phone market rolling.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Its not that common any more. Btw i would call it a loan with extra interest tax for the stupid. But thats just the economist in me.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Its not that common any more. Btw i would call it a loan with extra interest tax for the stupid. But thats just the economist in me.
Yea it's not common in the US any more at least. Both T-Mobile and Verizon Have done away with it that I know of.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Depends where you are, I guess. The largest carrier where I am just started offering BYOD discounts, but they're still only $10/month on a 2 year term. Prior to that you'd pay the same price for a plan whether you took the free phone or not.

If I bought an iPhone 8 from Sasktel with a two year term it'd cost me CDN$430 upfront. If I bought my own iPhone 8, it'd cost me $930, and I'd save $240 over the course of the term with the BYOD discount.