Helene Dokter

Dec 20, 2017
Hello,

i really want to digitalize some vhs tapes for my family for christmas and I have all the stuff necessary to do so. Thing is: I don't get an image. I can hear the sound but i am just getting a black screen.
I have a Sony SLV-SE800D1 and I bought a USB2.0 Video Grabber from LogiLink. I tried digitalizing the tapes on a Windows 8 Asus DM6730-DE004S Desktop PC. As I mentioned earlier, I was able to get sound working, but I received no image. I didn't even get a "no signal" screen. The vhs tapes, the player and the cables are still intact and I bought the video grabber new, so I honestly don't know what the problem could be. My only concern is that I don't have the S-Video plug connected to something. But that shouldn't be a problem because I plugged in the yellow cable, right?

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Is the yellow cable plugged into video out on the VCR? I've copied tapes in the past with Honestech 5, but am not familiar with this one.

Helene Dokter

Dec 20, 2017
IMG_20171220_130629.jpg

this was the only way to be able to hear the sound without any noise. I tried plugging every possibilty of plugging in everything but it didn't work.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
The VCR works fine through a TV, right?

yeah, make sure you can output to a tv first

there was something about "press t TV/VIDEO to display the VIDEO"

also https://www.manualslib.com/manual/163594/Sony-Slv-Se600a.html?page=15#manual

Press RF CHANNEL on the VCR lightly.
The factory-preset RF channel appears in the display window
Press PROGRAM +/– to set the RF channel to OFF, and press RF CHANNEL again.

basically you want to turn OFF RF output

the other thing i wonder about is if the there's some PAL/NTSC compatibility issue

Helene Dokter

Dec 20, 2017
yeah, make sure you can output to a tv first

there was something about "press t TV/VIDEO to display the VIDEO"

also https://www.manualslib.com/manual/163594/Sony-Slv-Se600a.html?page=15#manual

basically you want to turn OFF RF output

the other thing i wonder about is if the there's some PAL/NTSC compatibility issue

I honestly don't know what the issue could be, it says on the package that it supports both video formats
And everything is set up so I had an image on the tv.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
DI-GI-TI-ZE

The thingy you put into the scart to get the cable output comes in two flavors, input or output, you might have the wrong one,some of them have a switch on them to turn them from in to output.

Also make sure to try both scart sockets.

Helene Dokter

Dec 20, 2017
DI-GI-TI-ZE

The thingy you put into the scart to get the cable output comes in two flavors, input or output, you might have the wrong one,some of them have a switch on them to turn them from in to output.

Also make sure to try both scart sockets.
I just figured I could take one that my wii uses, is that a wrong one?
Also I tried using both sockets, the bottom one is the primary one.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
IMG_20171220_130629.jpg

this was the only way to be able to hear the sound without any noise. I tried plugging every possibilty of plugging in everything but it didn't work.
What are the labels for the two plugs on the left? Usually two plugs means it's a monaural VCR, not stereo.

Also, what the heck is that dongle on the right?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I just figured I could take one that my wii uses, is that a wrong one?
Also I tried using both sockets, the bottom one is the primary one.
If your wii outputs to TV with this than it's the right one,but if you only get audio from the connections on the left then your VCR is not set up correctly.

Did you connect it to the TV via scart?Sometimes you have to tell your vcr that it should play through your scart ports otherwise it will only output to RF.