[DigitalFoundry] Hitman PC Beta GTX 970 vs R9 390 Frame-Rate Test

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Huge performance difference that seems to be consistent. The GameGPU benches don't give the kind of information these videos do. I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6GyUzyuJQ - Hitman

This is hitman without the async compute dx12 in there.

I think they are using more resources on polygons than flashy effects in the dx11 version. Good object detail, decent textures. Maybe dx12 will bring more post processing.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I would wait for the game to launch and game ready drivers to be available from both camps before we can judge the cards. Anyway Hitman is a Gaming Evolved title. So AMD cards better perform well or it would be embarassing.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
I would wait for the game to launch and game ready drivers to be available from both camps before we can judge the cards. Anyway Hitman is a Gaming Evolved title. So AMD cards better perform well or it would be embarassing.

Someone should tell nvidia that. they keep putting out drivers for these betas.

http://www.maximumpc.com/nvidia-releases-game-ready-36191-driver-for-street-fighter-v-hitman-beta/

Anyway I do think we should wait and see, but its pretty close to release for these games.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Good looking game, I enjoyed the last Hitman. Feels like early 2010's again with a new Hitman and Deus Ex coming out

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Edit: just noticed Azix's link to the article citing version 361.91 drivers address this Hitman performance. Wonder if DF was testing with them since this video is around 10 days after that driver relase?

--

Hmm yet another modern game with a clear performance advantage for the 390 even though it's beta. Wonder if Nvidia will prep drivers to close this gap.

Last edited:

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
It only became a Gaming Evolved title after the DX11 version was completed.

Hitman joined the Gaming Evolved marketing campaign not that long ago: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2309-amd-hitman-dx12-ace-workload-management

Feb, 10, 2016.
AMD just announced a partnership with IO Interactive for inclusion of its forthcoming “Hitman” title in the “Gaming Evolved” program. The involvement boasts “top-flight effects and performance optimizations for PC gamers,” further underscoring a focus on DirectX 12 workload management for increased overall quality.

Hitman aims to utilize the ACEs on AMD GPUs (Asynchronous Compute Engines) to better manage intense workloads. Asynchronous workload processing reduces overall frame render time and allows for increased quality, a unique feature to DirectX 12. The game will still support DirectX 11 (which is good – since Dx12 requires Windows 10), but it'd be a worthwhile consideration to upgrade in the near future; the Dx12 switch-over is slowly happening.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

It's not unusual for nVidia to perform on par or even better with GE titles. I see it as the opposite of an embarrassment. This is why I love it when people try to claim that AMD buys off devs to hurt nVidia performance.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's not unusual for nVidia to perform on par or even better with GE titles. I see it as the opposite of an embarrassment. This is why I love it when people try to claim that AMD buys off devs to hurt nVidia performance.

It is performing more then garbage on both side. Fury X is getting 60fps on 1080p and 2013 graphics were better then this. Heck even The Division is performance miles better on both camp and with much better grahpics. However, you defend this game because it is AMD.

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014

Hint: They should definitely do it cause AMD isn't going to last another year if Zen doesn't pan out the way they want it to ...

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Hint: They should definitely do it cause AMD isn't going to last another year if Zen doesn't pan out the way they want it to ...

They can buy off all of the devs they want to, it won't help them if Zen fails. We'll see RTG a spinoff company because AMD can't afford for their CPU business to go on as it is, period.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
They can buy off all of the devs they want to, it won't help them if Zen fails. We'll see RTG a spinoff company because AMD can't afford for their CPU business to go on as it is, period.

They buy developers to cover 80% of sales or they can only make GPU and CPU ,however, they can only do one thing due to shortage of money.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
In the dirty game of "buying developers", NV simply has more cash to do it.

These kinds of actions were frowned upon, back in the good old days, but because NV has been getting away with it for many years, it's become fashionable.

Look at how tech journalists used to grill these companies when they do dirty stunts that's so common today!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38053246&postcount=804

yes it is good that AMD doing. However, AMD really do not want to make nvidia angry like they did with Tomb Raider, Sleeping dog and Hitman 2012. Gameworks trend started from there and nvidia has 80% of market and really AMD do not want to go single digit market and getting 2 fps in every upcoming AAA game.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
yes it is good that AMD doing. However, AMD really do not want to make nvidia angry like they did with Tomb Raider, Sleeping dog and Hitman 2012. Gameworks trend started from there and nvidia has 80% of market and really AMD do not want to go single digit market and getting 2 fps in every upcoming AAA game.

What are you talking about?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/market_watch/

Q4 2015
AMD’s Desktop discrete GPUs increased 6.69% from last quarter

Nvidia’s desktop discrete GPU shipments were down -7.56% from last quarter

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
What are you talking about?

In 2012 Hitman and Sleeping Dogs which are the AMD gaming evloved performed very bad on nvidia heck even 7870 was beating GTX 680 due to lack source code. Later 2013 Tomb Raider had same problem 7870 beating GTX 680 due focus on AMD cards. After that nvidia launch gameworks to reply.

Feb 19, 2009
In 2012 Hitman and Sleeping Dogs which are the AMD gaming evloved performed very bad on nvidia heck even 7870 was beating GTX 680 due to lack source code. Later 2013 Tomb Raider had same problem 7870 beating GTX 680 due focus on AMD cards. After that nvidia launch gameworks to reply.

It was never lack of source code, don't lie please, it's not nice to revise history.

AMD GE has always been open source, freely available on their website for ANYONE to download.

The problem for NV back then, is the DX11 DirectCompute Global Illumination in those games, and TressFX based on DX11 DirectCompute. They did optimize Tomb Raider a week after release, because they had full access to source code. I went over this many times, you are free to read the original Tomb Raider review from [H], dated a week after launch and compare TressFX performance.

Would you agree that this is different to GameWorks where AMD is not allowed to see source code? The actual libraries are encrypted, so even most developers have no idea.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
It was never lack of source code, don't lie please, it's not nice to revise history.

AMD GE has always been open source, freely available on their website for ANYONE to download.

The problem for NV back then, is the DX11 DirectCompute Global Illumination in those games, and TressFX based on DX11 DirectCompute. They did optimize Tomb Raider a week after release, because they had full access to source code. I went over this many times, you are free to read the original Tomb Raider review from [H], dated a week after launch and compare TressFX performance.

Would you agree that this is different to GameWorks where AMD is not allowed to see source code? The actual libraries are encrypted, so even most developers have no idea.
AMD Gaming Evolved titles usually perform just as good on NVIDIA hardware and some times even better.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013

It is same as gameworks though. Crippling other camp performance by improving it self performance. The best thing is that AMD is the one who started it.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
AMD Gaming Evolved titles usually perform just as good on NVIDIA hardware and some times even better.

In 2012 and 2013 AMD had pretty good share for DGPU. In 2014 and 2015 developers would not really wanted to be pro AMD due to lack of games sales.

Compare the sales.

The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Dying light, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 4, Killing Floor 2, GTA V and The Division.

Compare with pro AMD games like

Star Wars, Dirt Rally and upcoming Hitman. I grantee that Hitman will be total flop in sales on PC. That is why most of developers end with nvidia because of sales power.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
It is same as gameworks though. Crippling other camp performance by improving it self performance. The best thing is that AMD is the one who started it.

No they are completely different.

Gameworks is unoptimized, and hurts their older cards and AMD up front so they can sell more cards when reviews are never updated.

AMD's Open Sourced effects are well.. Open Source so anyone can modify them as needed and they optimize for both themselves AND Nvidia.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/tressfx-hair-cross-platform-and-v20

Nvidia doesn't optimize for AMD or their older cards, thats why it takes developer patches and reducing tessellation for zero IQ difference in drivers to make the game work right with the effects on.

Nvidia made gameworks to sell more cards. AMD spends their time trying to make better games for everyone. You can unfortunately see by marketshare which people preferred because, Marketing is powerful, especially when you can lie about card specs and just say "Ooops" and no one cares.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013

Gameworks is unoptimized, and hurts their older cards and AMD up front so they can sell more cards when reviews are never updated.

AMD's Open Sourced effects are well.. Open Source so anyone can modify them as needed and they optimize for both themselves AND Nvidia.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/tressfx-hair-cross-platform-and-v20

Nvidia doesn't optimize for AMD or their older cards, thats why it takes developer patches and reducing tessellation for zero IQ difference in drivers to make the game work right with the effects on.

Nvidia made gameworks to sell more cards. AMD spends their time trying to make better games for everyone. You can unfortunately see by marketshare which people preferred because, Marketing is powerful, especially when you can lie about card specs and just say "Ooops" and no one cares.
Right they are doing it because they only remain with 20% DGPU market. If they had even 40% of DGPU market then they would have more extreme with Hitman 2016.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013

Right they are doing it because they have only have 20% DGPU market. If they had even had 40% of DGPU market then they would have more extreme with Hitman 2016.