[Digital Trends] Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Cards Are Dying in Alarming Numbers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There are somewhat higher failure rates but it isn't a broad systematic issues requiring a recall.

Do we really know that, though? The entire situation could be overblown (hence nVidia's "aww shucks a few units got out of testing, oops" response) or it could be a massive underlying problem with all Turing products that people simply don't yet understand. If 3rd party reviewers could get to the bottom of the issue and explain why the cards are failing, then at least consumers could make an informed choice about whether or not to buy the cards. And of course NV could do the work themselves but as with the 970, they won't.

If we look back at the GTX 970 memory situation it may play out like that. Hearsay, acknowledgement, eventually negligible impact for most people.

The 970 situation was different because reviewers could (and did) figure out the problem on their own. They figured out that memory performance dropped like a rock beyond a certain amount of memory usage, effectively reducing the usable memory of every 970 card. Whether or not the average consumer would know or care about the problem, NV did actually advertise the cards incorrectly, since there was no way to realistically have full use of VRAM. Consumers could examine the data for themselves and make an informed choice accordingly. Sadly it took 3rd party reviewers to uncover the problem.

With RTX cards, we just don't know what's going on, nor do we have usable failure rate data that realistically only retailers and/or NV could provide to us.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Do we really know that, though? The entire situation could be overblown (hence nVidia's "aww shucks a few units got out of testing, oops" response) or it could be a massive underlying problem with all Turing products that people simply don't yet understand. If 3rd party reviewers could get to the bottom of the issue and explain why the cards are failing, then at least consumers could make an informed choice about whether or not to buy the cards. And of course NV could do the work themselves but as with the 970, they won't.

The 970 situation was different because reviewers could (and did) figure out the problem on their own. They figured out that memory performance dropped like a rock beyond a certain amount of memory usage, effectively reducing the usable memory of every 970 card. Whether or not the average consumer would know or care about the problem, NV did actually advertise the cards incorrectly, since there was no way to realistically have full use of VRAM. Consumers could examine the data for themselves and make an informed choice accordingly. Sadly it took 3rd party reviewers to uncover the problem.

With RTX cards, we just don't know what's going on, nor do we have usable failure rate data that realistically only retailers and/or NV could provide to us.

Like I said I don't know the situation like anyone else. But judging from the information out there so far it hasn't reached the level of a concrete issue and systematic defect like the G84/86. If such an issue exists it'll eventually come out is all I'm saying. Even if no one on the media digs anything through industry contacts if the failure number is that large it'll show up in financials like G84/86.

Someone like Charlie D. is almost certainly (or has) digged into to this and you know he would take the chance to cream Nvidia over this if he could.

My mention of GTX 970 is just my speculation on what I think the end worst extent of the issue is. At the end it sucked for some people but most were still fine. Just like these failures are gonna suck for some people but at the moment most seem fine. I'm guessing it's a manufacturing issue for certain batches. The worst case scenario of a systematic defect at the chip level doesn't seem likely at the moment.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'd love to pickup a 2080TI, even at the ridiculous pricing because it would be nice to put my 144hz 1440p monitor to use, but with these reports, in addition to the pricing, yeah, I'll just wait for the 3000 series.

That's exactly what I did too. I had the microcenter one on reserve for a week but didn't pick it up. I use a 120hz 3440x1440 driven by a GTX1080. The only thing I hate about the alienware monitor is it doesn't have multiple DP 1.2 inputs. I would love to use my work laptop with 120hz.

My coworker earlier this year told me the acronym, YAGNI. You Ain't Gonna Need It. Since then, I didn't buy a single thing that I wanted (but not needed). The AW monitor I convinced myself could be a need (boost productivity for work with dual ultra wides) - lol. That's the only way I can get myself to "waste" money nowadays.

To imagine people are paying $1600 for a graphics card. I remember the 3DFX cards were expensive at $250. Such inflation.

Reactions: Thor86

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000
I bought a Asus Turbo 2080 Ti this past Saturday and it crashes everytime a game launches... Sent it in for RMA today. No one has any 2080 Tis in stock and I'm wondering if a regular 2080 will serve my needs instead

Reactions: 007ELmO and Thor86

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I bought a Asus Turbo 2080 Ti this past Saturday and it crashes everytime a game launches... Sent it in for RMA today. No one has any 2080 Tis in stock and I'm wondering if a regular 2080 will serve my needs instead

I've been running an EVGA 2080 Ultra XC since launch with zero problems. I purchased it with the intention to sell it to my brother once some of the nicer 2080 TI cards became available but looks like I'll use it until the 3000 series since I don't want to risk selling a good card for an iffy 2080 TI.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
When debating between EVGA or some other 20 series brand card;

vm3td5m.gif

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
So far all the affected FE's are from 323 & 324 batches. No other batches exist (AFAIK). If Nvidia can get out a new batch with no issues, only then would I think they've fixed the issue. As it stands, the entire RTX line is suspect (2070s also affected, few 2080s though). Even if they reduce prices to more reasonable levels, wont touch an RTX. Only after Nvidia addresses the issues, whether explicitly or silently with new trouble-free batches, its a skip gen wait for my next GPU.

Reactions: 007ELmO

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
So far all the affected FE's are from 323 & 324 batches. No other batches exist (AFAIK). If Nvidia can get out a new batch with no issues, only then would I think they've fixed the issue. As it stands, the entire RTX line is suspect (2070s also affected, few 2080s though). Even if they reduce prices to more reasonable levels, wont touch an RTX. Only after Nvidia addresses the issues, whether explicitly or silently with new trouble-free batches, its a skip gen wait for my next GPU.

Unless I'm reading the serial # wrong, my eVGA 2080 Ti Black Edition is from batch 322. It uses a reference PCB just like the FE. It's also a TU102-300 non-A chip, however.

Currently hammering the card for science:
2080Ti minimum PPD.png

PRCG 14124 is the worst performer by far, so ignore the low PPD. Still a 50% higher PPD versus my ROG Strix 1080 Ti despite throttling to 1800MHz boost.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Unless I'm reading the serial # wrong, my eVGA 2080 Ti Black Edition is from batch 322. It uses a reference PCB just like the FE. It's also a TU102-300 non-A chip, however.

Currently hammering the card for science:
View attachment 2154

PRCG 14124 is the worst performer by far, so ignore the low PPD. Still a 50% higher PPD versus my ROG Strix 1080 Ti despite throttling to 1800MHz boost.
I was going by this, a RMA tracking record of 2080ti FE owners at Nvidia Geforce forum.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tHgGDGrG-3Vf7_b82KX_lZ4-9M/edit#gid=216338597

I realize it wont be accurate, since those with issues are more likely to visit Nvidia forum for support.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
I just got a 2080 Ti Strix from Amazon, worked perfectly the first day and started showing space invaders artifacts in Crysis 3 & Witcher 3 the next day.

Also the card has Micron memory and is a non-A chip (going by the device ID). I don't think I'll try another, might just go back to my Vega 64 and sit this round of GPUs out.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Good move. Nvidia doesn't need any encouragement to push out substandard cards.