Digital SLR Help

servcarpenter

Aug 11, 2004
So, I'm a 16 year old kid. I've been buying, fixing and reselling laptops for probably 3 years now. (Check my for sale thread below) Anyway, my girlfriend is a photographer. I would absolutly love to buy her a digital SLR. The problem is I know almost nothing. For me a lot of money to spend on a laptop is anywhere over $200. So for a Digital SLR $200 would be my ABSOLUTE max. I am planning on getting it used, cause that's the way I am. Anyway, I would love to buy it for a lot less, but I know nothing about Camera's or prices. Anywone want to help? Yes I know I probably sound like a naive 16 year old trying to buy his girlfriend a gift to make her happy, and she will probably dump him in a month anyway, but yah know what.. that's my deal. Anway, thanks for the help in advance.

So what am I asking?
1. To help me out on basic specs and what price range things are in
2. Tell me about what some good deals are (maybe eBay or Craigslist, or Anandtech links)
3. Let me know if you have a Digital SLR for Cheap. (That belongs in the WTB/T but oh well)
4. let me know what this means......18-55MM F3.5-5.6 AND 50-200MM F4-5.6........ I'm lost
THANKS in advance!

Dec 10, 2005
1. Can't really help here
2. Same as 1
3. I have a cheap, decent lens (but no camera for it) for sale for Canon SLR/dSLR: http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=45&threadid=2062523
4. 18-55mm and 50-200mm are the focal length. Those numbers hold for 35mm sized sensors/film. Most dSLRs are "crop-body", so the sensor is smaller than 35mm. To find the true focal length on a crop-body dSLR, you multiply the actual focal length by 1.6, so that 18-55mm on a dSLR would be equivalent to a 28-88mm on a 35mm sized sensor/film. F/3.5-5.6 and F/4-5.6 are the maximum aperture size. The smaller the number, the larger the maximum aperture. A larger aperture makes it easier to take pictures in low-light as the lens can be opened up more to let in more light. F/3.5-5.6 is considered to be "slow" because of the small, maximum aperture. Of course, larger aperture lens tend to cost more money.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Sadly to find a DSLR for 200 or less is going to be real tough, especially with a lens. You might be able to find a Pentax K110D body for around that price used if youre lucky. But id say Craigslist or the local paper are your best bet.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Like others have said, it's going to be quite difficult to find a dSLR for the $ you're looking to spend. Even finding the old school 2mp 1st gen dSLRs for that price will be difficult. Good luck.

As for learning about aperture, focal length, etc, you'd probably earn points asking your girlfried for help. I mean, she is a photographer plus, she'd probably be happy that you're taking an interest in her hobby by asking her to teach you more about it. Just a thought.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Yeah sorry man. $200 just isn't enough (unless you're really lucky). Even $200 for just a body would be really hard. Factoring a lens just makes it tougher.

As for your last question regarding 18-55MM F3.5-5.6 AND 50-200MM F4-5.6.
(Forgive me if you know this already). Those are examples lenses, separate from the body. One of the biggest advantages to having an SLR over a point and shoot is that you can interchange lenses.

I tried typing up an explanation as to what everything meant, but it was getting too long and I'm in a hurry. 18-55mm refer to focal length (which you can sort of think of as "zoom"). F3.5-5.6 refer to aperture (which refers to how much light is let into the camera). It's easy enough to find explanations for what they mean online.