Digital Photography Resource Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 19, 2000
The post has been updated, all bad links removed and some new ones added.

On a side note, the Adorama and Beach Camera links keep getting a referral slapped on them when I save my edits. Does anybody know how to stop this? I've had to just type in the address and let the forum classify it as a link rather than using the URL tags.

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
The post has been updated, all bad links removed and some new ones added.

On a side note, the Adorama and Beach Camera links keep getting a referral slapped on them when I save my edits. Does anybody know how to stop this? I've had to just type in the address and let the forum classify it as a link rather than using the URL tags.

thanks for the update. just got a Nikon D5000 as a hand me down and was looking for some info. Nice list we have here.

Oct 19, 2000
Added a couple of links with lots of infographics as well as Stanford's full online, free, photography course.

IrmaCDunn

Jul 6, 2015
omnix.sa
Wow, what an awesome list of resources already. As of right now, the OP is updated with all the info I thought credible to what we were doing here. Thanks a lot guys, and I'll update as needed.

Oct 19, 2000
Purged some dead links and added a new section for video training, both fee-based and free YouTube channels.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Has anybody used Affinity Photo for post processing? It's way cheaper than Lightroom ($49.99 lifetime vs CS6 $150 lifetime or $120/yr CC) and about the same price as Corel AfterShot Pro ($47.99).

Note that I like doing post on my Surface 3 because I can do it anywhere vs doing it on my desktop. Lightroom is pretty high performance on it, and Affinity Photo works pretty well. Darktable and Rawtherapee both suck on the Atom CPU - completely unusable, so the free solutions are right out.

imported_Irse

Feb 6, 2008
Two other retailers that are legit and good are Roberts and Samy's. I have also used Cameta. They sell a lot of refurbished items. For used, KEH is good and fair. You can sell some of your stuff there but won't get a good a price as ebay but at least you know you won't get cheated.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I had to use some photo editing stuff recently and was reminded how much of a hassle downloading and installing modern software is.
I purchased Corel Photo Paint 8 back in 98 or 99. I still have the discs somewhere and the codes are in a file on my hard drive. Still works. Works pretty well actually it just doesn't have all the advanced features of modern apps which aren't even really necessary.
BUT, I decided to purchase Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 a few years ago anyway, I forget why. They are not very good about supporting anything more than 12 months old. They just want you to buy stuff over and over again every year. So I cant recommend anything Corel these days even for amateurs. This includes any type of AfterShot. I cant find my codes anywhere in my email and they won't send me the codes I purchases years ago.

As sad as it is, the monthly subscriptions from Adobe seem like kind of a good idea, assuming you dont mind logging in all the time to download stuff and get support. And paying out the wazoo. Also because so many more people prefer Adobe software, even amateurs, you are more likely to get help from forums and other groups.

and if you dont wanna spend 120 bucks a year, I guess try to learn GIMP.
The OP hasnt been updated in several years. Anyone know of free or cheap software thats not a pain to install and easier than GIMP?