Digital Photography Resource Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I came across this quick tutorial on SmugMug today and didn't see anything like it in the other instructional links in the original post. It's a simple trick but seems to be a very easy way for an amateur like me to balance lighting in digital photos that are too dark. I tried it on a couple of my darker shots in GIMP and it definitely gave me a much more acceptable brightness level (to me).

The color calibration card linked in the article also showed me that I had the brightness on my monitor set WAY too high. My tired old eyes like it that way, but it was making me think that some of my photos were bright enough (or too bright in the case of shots that should be dark) when they really weren't balanced properly.

Fixing prints that are too dark.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I think Corel Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements should be listed in the retail software section. They make a decent and affordable bridge for serious amateurs.

And...shameless plug for my Hot Deals thread: Paint Shop Pro X2 discounted + other free software included with purchase.

Oct 19, 2000
It's been a while since I've updated this, so I'm going to see if anything needs to be updated soon. Thanks for all the links guys.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Anyone have any recommendations for a good beginners tutorial to post-processing photos? I'm a complete noob when it comes to that :( Thanks!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just got done browsing Amazon and because of my purchases they recommended a gold diffuser for my SB-600 flash.

Why would someone want a gold diffuser on their flash?

LongTimePCUser

Jul 1, 2000
This thread has not been updated in a long time.
OP, shouldn't you be recommending Photoshop CS5 and not CS3?
Are there other recommendations that should be updated?

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Was Darktable around when this thread was made? OP has not updated in quite some time. Granted, technology hasnt advanced a heck of a lot, but still.
Last edited by blurredvision; 03-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Yes it was around so as Corel Aftershot Pro, Gimp, RawTherapee, UFRaw, and others.

Corel Aftershot Pro is damn good, and Darktable as well as Gimp and RawTherapee are not far behind.

Oct 19, 2000
You failed to mention the free Darktable photo editing software.

I've added Darktable.

Seriously guys, shoot me a PM if I need to add/change anything. I've been out of the photography hobby for a while but I'm still wasting away time on this forum and will see your PM fairly quickly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont wanna spend 140 bucks on Capture NX.
Whats a decent RAW program that lets me do basic exposure and WB correction as well as simple noise reduction? I dont need advanced sharpening tools or anything, but batch processing that preserves EXIF data would be nice.

Would be using this with the D3200.

Oct 19, 2000
My plan is to update this post a bit, provide some new links and remove what's no longer valid. If you guys have anything that needs to be added, please let me know.