Digital Photography Resource Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Found an awesome in-depth overview of flash photography with a Canon EOS body. The site explains the different terminology TTL vs A-TTL vs E-TTL vs E-TTL II.

PhotoNotes

Oct 19, 2000
Yikes, the amount of info is already getting a bit unwieldy. I may have to try and further subcategorize this weekend, or at the least rearrange. I feel a couple of things aren't necessarily in the right place, so I'll go through it this weekend and fix anything.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Oh, and don't forget The GIMP as a free Photoshopesque program.

And, if you want, you can include Dell as a retailer. Their prices are normally pretty bad, but if you stack coupons you can get some great deals. I originally bought my Rebel XT from Dell two years ago for a price that BH, Adorama, and Beach couldn't even match.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Yikes, the amount of info is already getting a bit unwieldy. I may have to try and further subcategorize this weekend, or at the least rearrange. I feel a couple of things aren't necessarily in the right place, so I'll go through it this weekend and fix anything.

Hey man, just wanted to say thank-you! WHat you are doing will go a long way towards making this forum successful and I and many others here appreciate the work.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Hey man, just wanted to say thank-you! WHat you are doing will go a long way towards making this forum successful and I and many others here appreciate the work.
Thanks, although I've only contributed about 3% of what's up there :D.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Under Picture Hosting: how about a mini "do-it-yourself" picture hosting guide? As far as buying a domain, getting a webhost, and FTP'ing your photos?

I think many, many people use their own domains to host photos...and nothing else. It would be nice to have a little guide in your OP to help people develope this process. I currently have my own website, but there isn't an actual "site." I use the space and domain primarily for transfering photos, or hosting photos for various reasons.

Just a thought :)

Great thread BTW!! :thumbsup:

Oct 19, 2000
I just added links to some photo book printing sites. I'm thinking about trying one of these out pretty soon.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
I wonder if this thread can be made sticky by the mods... it's got a lot of great links.

Oct 19, 2000
I'm thinking of adding a FAQ to the top post soon. If you guys have any suggestions, I'll be more than happy to take them.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
A few more resources:

Site for finding models:
OneModelPlace

Lens rental:
RentGlass (haven't used them yet)

Free web album internet applications
(i.e. web albums that you set up if you have your own website)
SimpleViewer
ZenPhoto

For those who don't have their own website but want a good site to host their photos, I'd recommend Smugmug, Zenfolio, Pbase- these are the ones most used at DPReview. I can personally vouch for Smugmug as being very good. They also offer a coupon for $5 off their subscription if you use referral codes - PM me if you're interested in trying out Smugmug and I'll give you the coupon code.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I would add Badger Graphic Sales to the trusted list of sources for equipment. I have ordered a few things from there including my 24-105 f/4 IS when it was brand new - they had a special on it like $200 less than B&H.

I think it's run by just one guy, but he's awesome. I've talked to him on the phone when I was in a crunch and needed some equipment fast for a wedding the coming weekend. No hassle and he went above and beyond to get me what I needed on time.

www.badgergraphic.com

They don't have a lot of RR reviews, but all of them are 100%:

http://www.resellerratings.com...e/Badger_Graphic_Sales

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: rml
How about adding a section for carrying bag:

Something likes LowesPRO 200AW 200AW,

PAQ Slingshot BP-04003 PAQ BP-04003,

KATA T-212 T-212

Canon BP200EGCanon BP200EG

Do you have any links that point to webpages that discuss carrying packs in particular? I don't want to start listing individual links for all the bags and packs out there, that would defeat the purpose of this thread.