Digital converter box from last decade finds channels from TV antennae that my new 55" can't

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have an old 24" crt from last century.
I don't have cable and use an amplified antenna with a digital converter box.

I just bought a Hisense 55 inch TV, model u6g.

I use the same amplified antenna on The 55" but it can't find channel 7 (Abc) while my digital converter can.
The converter box says the signal is strong.

I watch many shows on ABC!

Any help?

Last edited:

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I have an old 24" crt from last century.
I don't have cable and use an amplified antenna with a digital converter box.

I just bought a Hisense 55 inch TV, model u6g.

I use the same amplified antenna on The 55" but it can't find channel 7 (Abc) while my digital converter can.
The converter box says the signal is strong.

I watch many shows on ABC!

Any help?

Why not just keep using the converter box with the new TV? It apparently has a more sensitive front end than the hisense, so if there is no problems with noise, selectivity, or other problems, let it keep working for you. Just because it's old doesn't mean you can't use it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Why not just keep using the converter box with the new TV? It apparently has a more sensitive front end than the hisense, so if there is no problems with noise, selectivity, or other problems, let it keep working for you. Just because it's old doesn't mean you can't use it.
how do i use the converter box with the tv?

i cant get the hisense to goto chan 3, which the converter box needs.
(instead, the hisense tv goes to the nearest channel with signal)

edit:
hisense full manual (online) is not that helpful and, in the case of Favorites, is wrong.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've been worried about this myself. Rechargeable batteris show how many milliamp hours they have on the package, but TV's don't have a sensitivity rating for the tuner. I wish they did, so you could judge how well a particular set would pull in a distant station.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I've been worried about this myself. Rechargeable batteris show how many milliamp hours they have on the package, but TV's don't have a sensitivity rating for the tuner. I wish they did, so you could judge how well a particular set would pull in a distant station.

Just about everything has no detailed specs published these days. But unless they are honest, it still wouldn't help. For example, take your batteries ... Lots of battery specs are bold, outrageous lies, especially the cheaper brands.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Even then you'd need comparative reviews/testing to quantify it. Integrated tuners can vary a lot but tend to be implemented cheaply as a line item feature so your best bet is a dedicated tuner box where how well it does this, is its only purpose so tends to be where the focus is on performance.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Just about everything has no detailed specs published these days. But unless they are honest, it still wouldn't help. For example, take your batteries ... Lots of battery specs are bold, outrageous lies, especially the cheaper brands.

The ones I just bought were the original eneloops, made in Japan, and said Minimum 1950 mah, average 2000 mah.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
The ones I just bought were the original eneloops, made in Japan, and said Minimum 1950 mah, average 2000 mah.

Those are probably fairly accurate. But beware of anything with fire in the name like "UltraFire" or "TrustFire" for example. Lot's of cheap off brand chinese li-ion batteries boast more than twice the real capacity on their labels. I've seen some that claimed 4000 mah but delivered less than 1000. Pure junk.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Just don't post about fake battery specs on Amazon... I got perma-banned there doing either that or similar comments about LED flashlights.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I wish I could find some sort of tiny electric motor odometer sort of thing, with a mechanical counter. I'd love to test batteries using something like that to see how far various batteries would make it go, then post the chart for people to peruse.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Many of the better battery chargers on the market will do charge and discharge testing, showing you realtime voltage, amount of charge the battery took to top off, amount of charge it provided in a constant current discharge test, internal resistance which reflects aging and current capacity (and initial quality of same type/size cell construction), quantified with numbers so you just press a button combination rather than having to do it all manually.

Electric motors are far trickier to use, especially when most DC motors reduce in RPM with a reduction in voltage. Here's a lot of charger reviews:

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hey, thanks for that. I hadn't realized that costs had come down like that for smart chargers with reporting capabilities for discharge, charge, etc.