Different switch brands, how big is the difference?

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
We all have known companies like Cisco and HP making various types of managed switches for businesses, data centers etc...professional segment for many years, but in recent times I noticed that companies like netgear, tp-link, d-link and similar are now manufacturing their own series of managed switches as well. How does that compare to Cisco's switches? I mean they are much cheaper, but are they really better? How's the configuration, security and reliability? I don't plan to buy any of the above I'm just curious about the subject and maybe some network professionals might have better insight into things.

Thanks for info

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Been my experience when you go with these low end switches it can work depending on the scenario. But if you are putting load on the network they tend to crumble due to slower processors, less cache\memory, less robust operating system ect. In the end you get what you pay for. And each build out needs to take this into account. For a small business with 20 employees? These switches will be more than fine. Trying to run an enterprise with hundreds or thousands of clients? Get ready to get on a job site if you go through with it.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for clarification, I still would be interested to know/see how these lower performing switches dysfunction when overloaded, does the connection breaks? Is the speed lower, latency higher? Or something like websites might work but streaming HD content might not?