Differences between major video card manufacturers and recommendations

Ylurien

Jul 26, 2007
This is not something that is easy to find on the web (I'm assuming because nobody wants to officially come out and say that one company is "better" than another on their website). But I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on the relative strengths and weaknesses of various video card manufacturers like ASUStek, BFG, EVGA, Innovision, MSI, XFX, Zotac etc.

The criteria that I think would be worth noting are:

1. Fan quality
2. Warranty length and step-up plan, etc.
3. Price
4. Availability
5. Customer service
6. Included extras (adapters, software, etc.)
7. Anything else

I would be particurly interested to hear if anyone has any experience with Innovision (Inno3d) products as I'm considering picking up a GTX295 from that company because it's about $50 cheaper than the competition.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
In recent memory I have had ATI cards from Asus, Powercolor, Sapphire, Diamon & ATI (FireGL). Nvida cards from XFX, BFG, EVGA & MSI & PNY.

1. no noticeable difference

2. XFX has that double life-time deal SWEET. I think step-up is a joke, you end up paying retail for the bleeding edge, no thanks.

3. You see them all over the map on price. I watch for the sales and have had really good luck with all video card rebates

4. I dunno, I don't buy on opening day anymore - by the time I am willing to stomach the prices you can pretty much get what you need

5 EVGA has some great customer service, never had to deal with anyone else.

6. Varies on a day to day basis, or so it seems

7. To tell you the truth the only thing that really stands out in my mind is that my Powercolor cards have always seemed to clock a bit better than the others. Asus and MSI have HUGE friggen boxes..

If I were willing to spend $500 for a GTX295 I woudn't be too worried about saving $50...

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
EVGA has awesome customer service. Very friendly/knowledgeable tech support. XFX has good support too, albeit I found them to be a little slow when I requested them to send a replacement cooling fan for my 8800GT. It had been shipped with one that didn't have fan speed control so the fan was at 100% always, way too loud.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
[ BFG employee hat ]

1. Higher end products often have "reference" fans, so they're all the same. For other products, some may be offered with "better" coolers such as the BFG ThermoIntelligence series. Otherwise fansinks are generally the cheapest that will still keep the card from frying.

2. BFG has the best trade-up program at 100 days, plus has a lifetime warranty on ALL graphics cards, unlike some other brands that are "known" for lifetime warranties. For instance any EVGA card where the part number ends in Lx or Tx (with x being some character) has only a 1+1 year warranty. At Newegg only 19 out of 54 EVGA cards have a lifetime warranty.
Product registration is required for BFG's lifetime warranty, just like EVGA and XFX.

3. Pricing can vary day-by-day depending on on-going promotions and rebates. Heck, at Newegg pricing can vary hour-by-hour! One brand isn't going to always have the best prices on all products. With that being said, generally speaking if you are looking for the absolute best deals, you may have to give up on long warranties. I've noticed that the cheapest cards are usually not the cards with lifetime warranty.

4. Availability will vary. Some vendors do not carry all brands or all products. Also, really popular products may become sold-out. For instance, BITD when the 8800 GT first came out, they became sold out just about everywhere due to overwhelming demand.

5. BFG's toll-free (in USA) tech support line is answered 24 hours/day, 365 days/year (and we may even answer on 2/29 if we feel like it). I'm not sure that our competitors answer their support phones during major holidays. BFG also doesn't charge an extra fee for "priority" service like some companies do (EVGA) or charge a handling fee for RMAs (I think Sapphire does).

6. BFG includes plenty of useful extras. For instance, out of the "big three" (BFG, EVGA, XFX) BFG is the only company to include an HDMI cable with the GTX 295. Actually, just a quick peek on Newegg... XFX includes a component video adaptor with their GTX 295. Too bad the card doesn't have component video output. FAIL! :laugh:

7. Zap works for BFG. I hear he's one swell dude!

[ / BFG employee hat ]

Whew, back to being a computer and gaming enthusiast.

Disclaimer: Normally I don't shill (and my posting history backs me up). This post was to answer the OP's questions.

Originally posted by: sgrinavi
I think step-up is a joke, you end up paying retail for the bleeding edge, no thanks.

YMMV depending on when you bought your card, NVIDIA price moves and new product releases.

For instance, one person in another forum just posted asking for details about trade-up. He is interested in a GTX 295 and had purchased a BFG GTX 280 OC2 model for $500. Guess what? He can trade up to a GTX 295 for the cost of shipping! :thumbsup:

Alternately, someone that bought a GTX 280 four months ago are outta luck.

Originally posted by: sgrinavi
5 EVGA has some great customer service, never had to deal with anyone else.

Translation: You've only had EVGA cards die on you. :p J/K

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Nvidia users are simply spoiled. EVGA, BFG and even XFX are head and shoulders above ATI board partners in therms of quality, customer service and support. You can't go wrong with either of those 3.

With ATI partners you get to experience the joy of a $15 RMA processing fee (Sapphire), 1 year warranties for most (Visiontek being the one standout) and no support for third party cooling or overclocking. Which is completely reasonable -- except the NV guys have it better.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: v8envy
Nvidia users are simply spoiled. EVGA, BFG and even XFX are head and shoulders above ATI board partners in therms of quality, customer service and support. You can't go wrong with either of those 3.

With ATI partners you get to experience the joy of a $15 RMA processing fee (Sapphire), 1 year warranties for most (Visiontek being the one standout) and no support for third party cooling or overclocking. Which is completely reasonable -- except the NV guys have it better.

XFX are an ATI board partner.