Difference between Intel P965 and G965 chipsets?

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I was looking into P965 to OC an E4300, but I need uATX. It looks like the G965 is the same but with onboard video, is that correct? Can it be expected to be just as overclockable?

I'd like to push an E4300 to 3GHz or more if possible.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by: StopSign
I hear the 965G sucks.

Could you be any less specific?

Seriously.. what do you mean? Everyone knows the integrated graphics are nothing to write home about, but I doubt any of that matters for people who visit this forum as most people here have separate video cards anyway.

So what about G965 sucks, aside from the integrated video?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Looks like the P965 is the only option from what I'm reading on Newegg, is that correct?
If you are looking to overclock, yes.

The G965 does not overclock anywhere near as well as the P965. Many people get burned this way thinking "what difference does integrated video make"... it makes a huge difference if you want to overclock. Almost no difference if you don't plan to overclock though.

Get the P965. I have a Gigabyte DS3 and am quite happy with it. Asus makes a good P965 board too.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I concur with what Beachboy said. Last motherboard review I saw comparing the same board with the only noticeable difference being integrated graphics, the one with integrated wouldn't overclock more than a couple of MHz.

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: zsdersw
I hear the 965G sucks.

Could you be any less specific?

Seriously.. what do you mean? Everyone knows the integrated graphics are nothing to write home about, but I doubt any of that matters for people who visit this forum as most people here have separate video cards anyway.

So what about G965 sucks, aside from the integrated video?
The thread is about overclocking so I meant "sucks" as in "it sucks for overclocking." It has absolutely nothing to do with the graphics. Please, try to find the relevance in my comment before calling me out like that.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The thread is about overclocking so I meant "sucks" as in "it sucks for overclocking." It has absolutely nothing to do with the graphics. Please, try to find the relevance in my comment before calling me out like that.

As is often the case in these threads, people mention things that have no relevance to whatever the original poster was talking about.

Don't be such a chump.. I'll call you out on something if I want to.