Diesel Watch for $4 Shipped This Weekend!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003

blamus

Nov 12, 2009
search diesel time watch on google for images, click on any one that says diesel time on it as the brand, and its obvious that its a replica and not made by fossil.

an example:

http://www.lelong.com.my/beautiful-diesel-time-watch-cool-51822717-2010-01-Std-P.htm

it actually says its a replica, and you can see all the ones on google images that says diesel time on it have very similar designs, with those holes and fat band etc. and they all cost like 5 bugs.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
search diesel time watch on google for images, click on any one that says diesel time on it as the brand, and its obvious that its a replica and not made by fossil.

an example:

http://www.lelong.com.my/beautiful-diesel-time-watch-cool-51822717-2010-01-Std-P.htm

it actually says its a replica, and you can see all the ones on google images that says diesel time on it have very similar designs, with those holes and fat band etc. and they all cost like 5 bugs.

You'd think that if you went to all this trouble to threadcrap you'd at least have your basic facts straight.

You don't.

Open your eyes. Both of them. Of course, this won't help unless you have a functioning brain behind those baby blues.

You don't appear to.

There are so many differences between the replica you posted and the actual watch that f-oclaprice was selling this weekend that you'd have to be an clueless idiot not to notice them.

You might just be.

The watch that was on sale at f-oclapoint:

YW938B.JPG

The replica watch straight from your post:

watch2u@29.jpg

Christ, man, how could you not notice:

The different bezel.

The different numbering.

The different sweep second hand.

The different stitching.

The different strap itself.

The different band hole size.

The different facing on all three secondary dials.

The lack of a number under the brand on your crap entry.

Your sorry ass being handed to you by you in epic, epic fail.

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003
Man I just can't catch a break
Respectable Customers,

* www.fo-calprice.com is processing system upgrade. Limited access to our website may be caused during these days. Please try to login and shop later. Sorry for the inconvenience we have caused for you.

Your Foca-lprice.com

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
You'd think that if you went to all this trouble to threadcrap you'd at least have your basic facts straight.

Your sorry ass being handed to you by you in epic, epic fail.[/B]

wow is this guy really the forum director?
how mature.. D:

We gave you a chance to edit the post. You flat out refused.

You're now gone for a week.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
These things are cheap all over the net.

Knock-offs are, but . . . it appears to me that this (and the previous Swatch) are originals off the same assembly line and therefore can be assumed to be of at least somewhat higher build quality/quality control which the contracting BIG COMPANY -- Fossil, Swatch -- would demand simply because they have a world wide brand name to protect.

Can't prove this, of course, but the known facts strongly lead me to this assumption. The Swatch I got from the previous deal has an admirable basic quality to its build that you can see in the details once you have the actual article in your hand.

Knock-offs have no reputation to protect.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
wow is this guy really the forum director?
how mature.. D:

You act like this is his full time career and is expected to hold an incredibly professional management demeanor at all times. If the mods/admins/etc were 100% serious all the time AT would be a very lonely place.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I am curious, the 'Swatch" watch - battery powered? If so, does it have the swatch battery (essentially sticks out a little with a slot in it for a flat head screw driver)? Does the band connect with the special "swatch" connector? Swatch does that to force you to buy replacement bands from them. Sort of has notches in it.

I was in a swatch store in Hong Kong yesterday and I double checked, 100% of all their battery powered watches was as I mentioned.

Michael

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
You act like this is his full time career and is expected to hold an incredibly professional management demeanor at all times. If the mods/admins/etc were 100% serious all the time AT would be a very lonely place.

Hmm I agree. however the problem is the two "styles" they are pushing for.
If it was all friendly/joking but just making sure everyone is civil then I am 100% for that.

but on one hand they want to be an "overlord". For example giving me a "chance" to edit my post.

I won't go further as this isnt a place for it (and another notification? heh), but I am just disappointed.

Maybe im just too old.

Yep, you know the rules as I pointed them out to you. You refused to edit the post still.

You were then given the week off. If you actually have a stance to make or a statement to make about the mods, we have a discussion forum for that.
http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Airing out your grievances in the manner is against the rules.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

bkg1906

Feb 9, 2011
So about the OP and him being a Mod. I think it's awesome that he is a real person and doesn't have to read from a script when replying to things. There is nothing wrong with getting an honest reply from someone with some emotion.

In regards to the watch however, google images is a bit easier to track down results for this watch and comparing it. The poster which was thread crapping didn't exactly do a great job of this, however:

http://www.budgetgadgets.com/diesel-time-square-wide-leather-band-wrist-watch-9330-p-7997.html

Has said watch for an amazing price. Mind you the faceplate is a different color, but watch manufactures and knock off's all do the same in that regard(keep the frame, change the color). After reading reviews on multiple sites I'd gather this is probably a knock off. A good knock off and of decent quality, but a knock off none the less.

Lets be brutally honest though, in an average day you probably walk past 50% of folk carrying/wearing knock offs but never stop to call them on it, so do you really think someone is going to look at your new "precious" and say some shit? And past that, have you seen Marc Jacobs watches? They all look like knock offs!

lppenguin

Mar 18, 2010
I don't post often but this topic motivated me.

A little explanation about china and copyrights might help here. I receive emails from focal price often after I bought some screaming slingshot monkeys for my grand kids. A good deal and lots of fun. Bought some solar powered roaches for cheap recently. Very diverse inventory. But they also have lots of inexpensive items that look very much like an expensive item if real. But there are always small differences.

I do business in China and have spent some time there. Although so much of the very expensive designer stuff is made there it is all exported and and then must be imported so it is much more expensive in China if real. Counterfeit stuff is disgustingly common and even though it is illegal it seems to be excepted by authorities, but counterfeit products are difficult to export.

So they copy the good stuff and change the name and sometimes logo slightly. The change is often nothing more than to add or change a letter in the name.Then there is no copyright violation and they can export the products. This "Diesel Time" watch is probably a copy of a Diesel design, of course the real one does not have "time" in the name.

All over China you will see clothes and jewelry that look so much like our goods but such slight differences. Or the counterfeits that sometimes you cannot tell if they are not the real thing. But usually the quality is far inferior. USA and other country products are so expensive there, it is an easy choice for the Chinese to buy the poor quality replica even though they desire USA goods. Sometimes the products may be ok, often though they are crap. Chinese auto manufactors have even copied cars.

I could and would like to go off on Chinese trade policies but I do not think this is the place. Bottom line, Focal Price does not sell the real thing, they are always a copy of a big name design with a similar but different name.

And I reread the post and cannot see how Fossil got mixed up in this, maybe a typo by OP?

The deal now is $4.62 with free shipping. Hard to lose on this deal regardless.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I am curious, the 'Swatch" watch - battery powered? If so, does it have the swatch battery (essentially sticks out a little with a slot in it for a flat head screw driver)? Does the band connect with the special "swatch" connector? Swatch does that to force you to buy replacement bands from them. Sort of has notches in it.

I was in a swatch store in Hong Kong yesterday and I double checked, 100% of all their battery powered watches was as I mentioned.

Michael

Ahhh, ok, this is serious proof that the f-price watch is a knockoff after all, because:

Yes, it's battery powered and,

No, it does not have the proprietary Swatch battery/slot/connector.

However, re: lppenguin's extremely thoughtful post just above:

So they copy the good stuff and change the name and sometimes logo slightly. The change is often nothing more than to add or change a letter in the name.
The name on the "Swatch" watch is "Swatch" in what looks to me like the exact same style real Swatch watches use and it does have what looks like an exact replica of the Swatch Swiss flag on it that they also use.

For these reasons, as well as it's relatively high build quality, I surmised that it could well indeed be basically genuine -- perhaps a discontinued model made on the same assembly line and with the same quality components after that factory's contract with Swatch to make this watch had expired.

And I reread the post and cannot see how Fossil got mixed up in this, maybe a typo by OP?
Nah, no typo, not that I'm not prone to them.

Wish I now had a screen shot of the original listing, but the watch was explicitly described in their copy as a Fossil brand watch. Lots of confusion, even by me in the way I presented this deal here, between the Fossil designation in the listing and the "Diesel Time" mark on the watch itself. Sorry for all that.

The deal now is $4.62 with free shipping. Hard to lose on this deal regardless.
Bottom line, this is the way I felt. :thumbsup:

Additionally and again, I can say this since I now have one . . . the "Swatch" watch, knockoff or no, is of admirably decent build quality that both looks and feels good, which augurs well for the year or so of non-embarrassing beater duty I'll get out of it.

I'll say it one last time: the "Swatch" watch was a great, great deal imho.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Swatch watches are all swiss made (that means at least the movement is Swiss, there is wiggle room as to where it is assembled).

I wrote that post from Hong Kong and I am in China 4-5 times a year and have been for decades. I am quite aware of what the knock-offs are like (for all the complaints about China, Korea actually makes the best quality counterfeit bags).

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying - Do you think these watches are originals? I seriously doubt it. If the Swatch doesn't have the special battery or band, it isn't. Swatch also doesn't have a "flag" on it. The branding is "Swatch" with "Swiss" written under it.

I fully agree, if you're buying something for $5 shipped that is just supposed to look OK and be a "beater", these are good values.

I don't think Anandtech wants links to known counterfeits. If these are links to cheap watches that look decent, then Hot deals is as good as any place.

Michael

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I just got my watch. Very nice for a $5 watch.
I have no doubt in my mind it is NOT an original Diesel watch(not that I thought it would be), as the band is very very cheap in quality & material, but like I said, very nice for a 5 dolla' watch.
Thanks op!