Didn't realize accountants charged so much to do tax prep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Sounds right. You took it to the wrong place. That type of firm prob typical does high net worth clients. But they will still bill you at same rate because you are taking their time. Kind of sucks though they didn't refer you to H&R Block if indeed your return only took 30 minutes.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Sounds right. You took it to the wrong place. That type of firm prob typical does high net worth clients. But they will still bill you at same rate because you are taking their time. Kind of sucks though they didn't refer you to H&R Block if indeed your return only took 30 minutes.

H&R would've charged the same. If it was THAT easy you may be better served using turbotax or similar.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004

Agreed. If it was really that easy they should have referred you to H&R Block, Liberty or Jackson Hewitt.

H&R Block certified tax preparers make $12/hr last I checked. All they do is fill in your data to turbo-tax like software and ask very few questions.

While I'm an auditor, I can do a standard 1040EZ in about 15-minutes by hand. Tax forms and tax law is pretty simple for 80%+ of the population. Its the 5% of high net worth individuals who are excercising stock options, taking business losses and investment losses to offset their gains that need the expertise of a true $300/hr CPA.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I do the taxes for the guys I used to work with for $20 (if qualifying for free filing) as long as they have all their ducks in a row and give me all the info I need. It takes about 25 minutes each in Turbotax, and if they qualify, they efile for free (Oklahoma is a free file state). I figure if they make over the limit for free filing they can afford it. :)
They don't have any complicated situations, so it's no big deal for me, and it helps them out.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
I do the taxes for the guys I used to work with for $20 (if qualifying for free filing) as long as they have all their ducks in a row and give me all the info I need. It takes about 25 minutes each in Turbotax, and if they qualify, they efile for free (Oklahoma is a free file state). I figure if they make over the limit for free filing they can afford it. :)
They don't have any complicated situations, so it's no big deal for me, and it helps them out.

do you sign their returns as the tax preparer?

Dec 10, 2005
Why didn't you just use TurboTax or a similar program?

My dad is a CPA and uses TurboTax to do all the tax returns of the immediate family.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Katanand45
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: Katanand45
All the more reason for doing away for replacing income and FICA with a national sales tax.
No need to spend money to make sure you paid the government their fair share.

yeah that would never work. not to mention nothing an accountant can do will ever effect fica.

It'll never work because the ignorant masses insist on staying ignorant. All you need to know is basic high school mathamatics to figure out that you'll have more spending power under a national consumption tax than you do under the current corrupt system.

All the same people who think their tax refund is a yearly "gift" from the government.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: Soundmanred

do you sign their returns as the tax preparer?

No, I sit with them and have them enter all of their own information. I'd rather teach them how to do it so they can do it themselves in the future.
I simply guide them through the necessary sections and finalization of filing.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Fmr12B

Agreed. If it was really that easy they should have referred you to H&R Block, Liberty or Jackson Hewitt.

H&R Block certified tax preparers make $12/hr last I checked. All they do is fill in your data to turbo-tax like software and ask very few questions.

While I'm an auditor, I can do a standard 1040EZ in about 15-minutes by hand. Tax forms and tax law is pretty simple for 80%+ of the population. Its the 5% of high net worth individuals who are excercising stock options, taking business losses and investment losses to offset their gains that need the expertise of a true $300/hr CPA.

Agreed. I bill, as an associate, at $275 per hour. But I work exclusively with large corporations.

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
You got ripped off. My gf works at a big 4 accounting firm doing corporate taxes and her charge rate is 490/hour.

nstar612

Banned
Mar 13, 2008
Efile is the way to go if you want faster turn around. It also saves you a trip to post office.

If you are eligible, you can go through IRS's Free File website to file your federal tax return for free.

For a list of state free file programs, check out State Free File.

-------------------------------------
Site Pimping is not allowed - Link changed

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
They only got work for 2 months a year, they got to eat for the other 10 months.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
At our firm, every employee level has a different billable rate, from entry level associate to partner. I believe it's this way at most public accounting firms.

The billable rate is around $120 per hour for an entry level associate. But you also have senior associates, senior managers, and partners reviewing all engagements; you can imagine what the final bill would be.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
That's why it's so good to be an accountant. You can make a killing during tax season filling out 1040EZ and take the rest of the year off chillin' and going on vacations.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Baked
That's why it's so good to be an accountant. You can make a killing during tax season filling out 1040EZ and take the rest of the year off chillin' and going on vacations.

Hah! If you're an accountant, everyone thinks you love to do taxes. When tax season comes around, friends, family, and neighbors all start asking you to do their taxes for them. It puts you in an awkward situation when you have to break their hearts. Funny thing is that I'm not even in tax, I work in audit. But to them, tax/audit, it's all the same.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Epic Fail
They only got work for 2 months a year, they got to eat for the other 10 months.

:laugh: Accounting is a year round job. Judging by your username, you must be like 13 or 14.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked

That's such bullsh!t I don't even know where to begin. If you're with a small shop that may be the case, but if you're with a medium sized firm or larger you're working year round. You may get 4 or 5 weeks of PTO but good luck finding time to use it.