Did your Folding at Home Break 8/1? Here is the fix

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Friday 7/31, F@H implemented a feature that blacklists hosts with more than one opencl install. Depending on how you installed (if you were like me trying to install everything to get it to work..) you may have ended up with more than 1 openCL install.

Forum thread at the F@H forum:

Symptom:
GPU slots are in READY state. Log shows:
Assigned to work server 192.0.2.1
WorkServer connection failed on port 8080 trying 80
Exception: Failed to connect to 192.0.2.1:80: Connection timed out

Resolution (Fedora):
sudo dnf remove mesa-libOpenCL
sudo dnf install ocl-icd-opencl-dev
cd /usr/lib64
ln -s libOpenCL.so.1.0.0 libOpenCL.so"
reboot

Resolution for other distros should be similar, but different commands, such as using apt-get in debian.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
This looks good for a system which has got only one type of OpenCL devices. (Personally, I'd call it a workaround, not a fix, because MESA's OpenCL implementation may be present on the system for a good reason.)

I browsed the foldingforum thread which you linked in the weekly stats thread, and from what I understand, folding is now no longer possible on systems with
  • OpenCL devices from different vendors (e.g., in 2017, I folded on Win 7 with AMD W7000 + Nvidia GTX 1070, no Intel IGP though),
  • 32bit and 64bit versions of OpenCL libraries installed alongside.
Is my understanding correct? What about all the systems with iGPU + dGPU?

Edit, on the other hand, they introduced another change which assigns a GPU slot to the iGPU on systems on which previously the GPU slot(s) automatically used dGPU(s) only: foldingforum thread. I am confused. (This change was made in late July, apparently.)

All in all, the rollout of changes like these is handled — how shall I say it — less than professionally by the F@H developers/ admins.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wait, so this blacklisting of hosts with multiple OpenCL drivers, applies to Windows platforms too, not just Linux? WTF is their point? How am I supposed to fold on this box with an RX 5700 as primary, and a GTX 1660ti 'Gaming X' as secondary? It used to work pretty-much fine.

Yes, F@H needs better software devs, apparently.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Yes, this applies to windows as well. I’ll edit the first post with the link to the F@H forums.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I believe the Fedora mesa-libOpenCL package only supports AMD GPUs. @Endgame124 , did you ever have an AMD GPU on that rig?

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I believe the Fedora mesa-libOpenCL package only supports AMD GPUs. @Endgame124 , did you ever have an AMD GPU on that rig?
Nope. When F@H wouldn’t run, I installed every openCl package I could find until it would run. Highly likely I found Mesa when running dnf list | grep -i openCl and installed it just to see if the box would fold.

Reactions: biodoc