Did you work while in HS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I worked since I was 14 all through college at the same grocery store. I put 8 years into that place. I actually got my job because I wanted to buy N64 and needed $$ to get it.

But to this date I still get pretty much free groceries because I'm good friends with the managers :D

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Yup, at Panera Bread. Full time during summers and my entire senior year since I got out of school at 1PM everyday.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
started working summer of 8th grade. I was substitute pipe organist for the area churches during the summer time, made quite a bit of money doing this ($150 per service, 2-3 services per week). I did this every summer until I started college.

Summer of 10th grade, I started working for the air force research laboratory, learned how to code in jhdl. Did that every summer for various projects until I got a better job after freshman year of college.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I had a paper route my freshman year.

Then I worked at a local Mexican restaurant; "Don Juan". Free verde burritos, ftw!

After that I worked for Shell, dispensing gasoline. Loved this job. I worked one or two 8 hours shifts during the week and always had either Friday or Saturday night off to get effed up. A six pack of beer and a pint of whiskey!

Left that job to work at KFC. Did not stay long. Horrible fast food job.

Moved to a new part of town and without a car I applied at Safeway to work produce. Loved that job as well. Sat & Sun I worked 7-4, preparing the produce for sale. I also worked a couple shifts after school during the week.

Finally got a job in April of my senior year slinging pizza at the mall food court. Stayed there for 20 months until I broke my wrist in a car crash.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I had a paper route my freshman year.

Then I worked at a local Mexican restaurant; "Don Juan". Free verde burritos, ftw!

After that I worked for Shell, dispensing gasoline. Loved this job. I worked one or two 8 hours shifts during the week and always had either Friday or Saturday night off to get effed up. A six pack of beer and a pint of whiskey!

Left that job to work at KFC. Did not stay long. Horrible fast food job.

Moved to a new part of town and without a car I applied at Safeway to work produce. Loved that job as well. Sat & Sun I worked 7-4, preparing the produce for sale. I also worked a couple shifts after school during the week.

Finally got a job in April of my senior year slinging pizza at the mall food court. Stayed there for 20 months until I broke my wrist in a car crash.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I worked at a Wendy's during high school. Looking back on it, I wished I hadnt worked then. I missed out on so much fun, all the Friday and Saturday nights I could have been hanging out with friends were spent dealing with tards. If I could travel back in time I would just enjoy high school to the fullest and not go through that bullshit.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Started at 15 @ DQ (had paper route, though from like 9-12 yrs old). Worked ever since with only a break in HS during sports season, in which I worked weekends. My senior year I decided to forego sports to work and pay for a car. When I went to trade school, I worked a 40+ hour work week and went to school. I'd literally change into my work shirt while driving to work. I got out of school at 3 and was supposed to be to work at 3. I was usually there by 3:10.

So, I see both sides. Yes, I did miss out on a lot of things. I wish I'd played football and gone out for track my senior year, but oh well. On the flipside, I believe those work experiences prepared me and molded my work ethic that I have now... If I had to give advice to someone in HS, I'd advise them not to work except in the summer.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I worked at food lion for maybe 4 months my sophomore year. I left when I didn't feel like dealing with their shit for $6.00/hr. That was the only job I had.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I started working at 15 and worked both summers and during school (though not too much - around 12-15hrs a week). I didn't really have a choice since my family was not well off so I had to buy lots of things myself.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I worked at two part time jobs in High School. I think it helped me to become a hard worker and appreciate things more...

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
WHAt the... no poll?!?!??
No :camera:'s geez,

< leaves thread and gently closes the door

> pokes head back in to say I did indeed work. 1. friend's dad Mea market 2. McD's 3. Life Guard / Swim Instructor
< leaves again.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
My first high school job was awful. I worked at the local telemarketing business, and I hated talking on the phone before that. Had to quit after 4 months because I kept having panic attacks (I used to be super sensitive to any form of criticism, or in this case, getting yelled at by customers).

Then I scored a sweet job at a flower and gift shop for my last 2 years of high school. The only retail job I would take again if they weren't in podunk ND (and still open). Of course, it was only on weekends and on the busy holidays and wedding or funeral days, but it worked perfectly with my school schedule. I think that job is why I've hated every place I've worked since. I got really spoiled in those two years.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Nah, you didn't miss out on much. I started working at the age of 15. First job was at Dunkin Donuts. Then I started working at the Gap my junior year of high school and I stayed there until I graduated.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I cleaned a couple houses for friends of my parents. It paid better than anything else I could get, only took a few hours a week so I didn't miss out on socializing, I listened to the radio or left the TV on while doing it, and all the adults were away working (I cleaned directly after school) so I didn't have any supervision/micromanaging to deal with - not too hard to figure out how to clean a house anyway. Being a maid was a good gig.

WombRaider

Banned
Jun 21, 2007
worked at mcdizzle for a year during my junior year. didn't really work my senior year though. i got a couple temporary jobs during the summer of freshman year of college. now i work at a gas station (sophmore college).

i'm a pretty asocial person so i don't like hanging out with people. i didn't go to dances or to prom in high school

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
yep, i started working full time at 16....had to, father was in and out of jail...mother was poor..... if i didnt work i didnt eat.