Did you work while in HS?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I was thinking about something earlier today and was wondering if you guys felt the same way or had the same thoughts.

I got my 1st job at 15 while going to high school. I was also working there while going to a tech school. i worked there for 4 years. I had another job lined up before I quit that job. I worked there for 4 years also. I went to computer training.com for 6 months while working full time also.

I'm just wondering if I missed out on a lot of stuff because I was always working. Do you think you did or did you think working that soon helped you out for later in life?

edit: poll deleted - I was going to make a poll then decided not to, then forgot to remove what I already had.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
lol nice 1 option poll.

and yes, i worked all of junior and senior year.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I worked at Mickey D's from 15-18. Worked some of the time through college. My parents thought in HS it would be a good way to have responsibility, pay my own way, etc. In reality, it led to me hanging out with a bunch of shady people, being exposed to shit they had no idea about, and a gf they grew to hate more than anything in the world. It was good times.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
I began working 2 days after I turned 14 and held a job continuously until college. I do not feel that I missed out on anything, but then again I was only working 6 hours a week. It prevented me from becoming a spoiled brat like my younger brother, who makes my mom pay for everything of his (friend's birthday presents, movies, going out).

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I worked from 14-18 in high school, and every semester in college except my last. Started my current job 2 days after graduating.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I worked at Burger King during my junior year, but had to stop during my senior year... as part of graduation, we were required to do a big community service project over the summer between junior and senior year (I went to Appalachia with my church for a month to do volunteer work... doing yard work for the elderly, delivering meals, etc) and an extended community service project during the school year (worked at a soup kitchen once a week and a food bank once a month), so I just plain didn't have time to work.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Started working my first real job (one with a W2) at 12. Started working full time as soon as I turned 16. Didn't go to high school.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Yep, I had a weekend job during the school year, which expanded to some weekdays for summer. It was a good experience.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Starting when I was 14. Only worked saturdays during the school year and a few days a week during the summer until I got my license (partway through my senior year... so I didn't really work full time until after I graduated)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I started working (newspaper delivery) when I was...eleven, I think?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I started delivering newspapers after school when I was 10. I walked becuase the route was steep hills. Took me 30 min to walk home after I was done with the route.

Delivered newspapers until I was 15. I also shoveled snow and mowed grass any chance I had. I put up hay, de-tassle corn, picked beans. I cant remember a time in my life that I turn down any chance to make money.

At age 8 I collected pop bottles on construction sites and turned them in for the deposit. I can still remember the feeling of finding a quart bottle(.25 cents yah)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I worked for my dad in HS and College. Mainly during breaks and summer but also some on weekends during HS. That's where I learned the trade and the business. I owe all my current success to him.

Oct 25, 2006
I'm in junior year and I've been trying to find a job that doesn't involve fast food... So far, no luck.. Any ideas?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
not really, i did things and got paied but non that i woudl call a "Job"

didnt have my first real job till after my freshmen year of college

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
I'm in junior year and I've been trying to find a job that doesn't involve fast food... So far, no luck.. Any ideas?

retail?

Looks like I'll have to go that way. But after reading horro stories on this site

*shudder

Maybe I'll go best buy and see how many lulz I can get out of it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: videogames101

retail?

Looks like I'll have to go that way. But after reading horro stories on this site

*shudder

Maybe I'll go best buy and see how many lulz I can get out of it.

see if you can work in a department store, still bad but better then BB

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I worked during the summer when I wasn't travelling, fun jobs like Dickey's BBQ, movie theater, etc. Also there was one semester where I worked during the school year at Smoothie King and ran the scoreboard for little kids basketball games. But since I did sports there wasn't much time other semesters. In college I also worked during breaks only (photo lab two summers, then internships after that), unless you are counting my current job as a TA in grad school. I don't really feel my work interfered with anything..

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Yes.
Mowed lawns, Hauled hay, Cut firewood, Fixed fences. I did not work the corner like most people believe.