DID YOU VOTE?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I voted, but it seems this thread is directed at people against the war who didn't vote. Given the premise i would think to be fair you would also have to tell all the people who didn't vote and are for the war to keep their opnions to themselves.

....and what about people who voted for Bush but are against the war.

,,,,and what if Bush wanted to pass a law killing every child under 5. Would the people who didn't vote have to keep their mouths shut about that deal too?

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hell yeah - I vote every chance I get, be it at the National, State, or Local level! :)

And here's a call to all of the folks that didn't vote for President last time around and don't like the current situation: You better get yourselves involved next time, 'cuz I'm actively involved with the Republican Party. I'm doing the bumper stickers, the signage, donating money, making the calls and being active in my community, so heads up - you need to do everything you can to counteract my efforts regardless of whatever other party you purport to belong to. ;)

arcitech2

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by: flavio
I voted, but it seems this thread is directed at people against the war who didn't vote. Given the premise i would think to be fair you would also have to tell all the people who didn't vote and are for the war to keep their opnions to themselves.

,,,,and what if Bush wanted to pass a law killing every child under 5. Would the people who didn't vote have to keep their mouths shut about that deal too?

Tell us, that's why I posted, I want your input, I want everyones' input. I want to put a fire under your butts and get you out into the real world, and out of these forums(once in a while, at least). Be a part of something bigger, and make your voice count.

...and what if everyone treated everyone the way they would like to be treated?

...and what if you didn't have to worry about going to the top of a skyscraper?

Gotta go, work is calling!

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I have voted in every election since L.B. Johnson's Election.
Shame on those who do not take their responsibility seriously.

Too many times the outcome is defered to the well organized minority.
In the last election less than 1/2 of the registered voters recorded their choice -
and Bush's victory was accomplished by only 12 % of all elligible voters.
That is organization - If the none voters had voted would the results have been the same ?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: arcitech2
To all who didn't vote:

You should not be allowed to voice a political view, but be thankful that you are in the good ol' USofA. We still give you that right. So go ahead sit there and bitch, don't become active in your local/state/national government, don't join the military and defend the Constitution that provide for your way of life. Just SIT there, invisible, anonymous electronic friend. Soon your seed will dry up, and the world won't have to worry about you reproducing more couch potato's!
Blow me. There's too many of us non-voters for our seed to dry up but maybe yours will seeing as you're in the minority. When you put up a candidate worth my vote let me know.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
I have voted in every election since L.B. Johnson's Election.
Shame on those who do not take their responsibility seriously.
Some of us do take our responsibility seriously. That's why we don't vote. I've seen voter turnout in my lifetime less than 35%. Doesn't that say anything to you mindless sheep about the disgust the general voting population feels towards the system? If we actually felt a candidate might loosen the grip of the Federal government and all the wannabe nanny-staters we might vote for that candidate. The political system is a two party system and its always a choice between the lesser of two evils. Well, thanks very much but I'll keep my vote to myself until someone worthwhile comes along, but having known too many Pols in my lifetime I find it highly unlikely that any will get my vote.

It's funny but most people I know that don't vote are reasonably intelligent and I can't say the same for most people I know that do vote.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
There an old saying that if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
If you feel that there are no candidates worth voting for, other than the evil of the two lessors,
you need to involve youself and take action youself - even lowering youself to becoming a candidate
so you can offer some option to the 'Two-Party System'. There have been sucessfull runs by independants,
but standing on the sidelines and letting others decide your destiny is unacceptable.

Strangely enough, the U.S. which has the most freedoms and democratic processes is the one
country that is totaly apathetical about being responsible for their internal politics.

Responsible pepole study the issues, understand the consequences, and vote accordingly.
There seems to be a very small amount of voters that understand this in our country.
Probably a result of a mild form of television brainwashing by the perpetuators.
All you need to know about this candidate is what you see in a 10 second sound byte -
or on an irrelavent character attack over some 'Hot-Button' issue.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
There an old saying that if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
If you feel that there are no candidates worth voting for, other than the evil of the two lessors,
you need to involve youself and take action youself - even lowering youself to becoming a candidate
so you can offer some option to the 'Two-Party System'. There have been sucessfull runs by independants,
but standing on the sidelines and letting others decide your destiny is unacceptable.

Strangely enough, the U.S. which has the most freedoms and democratic processes is the one
country that is totaly apathetical about being responsible for their internal politics.

Responsible pepole study the issues, understand the consequences, and vote accordingly.
There seems to be a very small amount of voters that understand this in our country.
Probably a result of a mild form of television brainwashing by the perpetuators.
All you need to know about this candidate is what you see in a 10 second sound byte -
or on an irrelavent character attack over some 'Hot-Button' issue.

Us non-voters are part of the solution; it's just that you voters keep contributing to the problem.
Please tell me a successful campaign run by an independent. The last and only president to be elected that could be considered independent was John Quincy Adams in 1824 and he was just another big government Pol.

What you consider apathy, those of us that consciously refrain from voting call disgust.

Edit: I'd like to ask you something. What do you think would happen if everyone refused to vote, excepting of course those diehards (political affiliates) immersed in the system. What would happen if voter turn out was 2 or 3 percent instead of the robustly anemic 35 to 40 percent? I myself do not know but I'd sure like to find out.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thing GWB has wanted this war for since his dad did not finish the job in '91
I see this FUD all over the net. Usually spouted by people who have no damn clue about what went on back in '91.
The mandate from the UN and the Congress of the United States was to remove Iraq from Kuwait, not regime change in Baghdad.

Mrpilot007

Jan 5, 2003
I voted for Bush in 2000 and will vote for him again in 2004.
I have been in the Army Reserves for 10 years playing my part.
I laugh at all of the Bush bashers because they do it simply because they are mad because the Republicans are taking over! Bush is a moral man that stands up for what he believes. If we had Gore in office I know we would just sit here and continue to have America Terrorized to rubble as we sit back and try to negotiate with people who simply do not negotiate.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: jjones
Us non-voters are part of the solution; it's just that you voters keep contributing to the problem.

What you consider apathy, those of us that consciously refrain from voting call disgust.
That's a complete scapegoat. The system will never change due to people sitting at home on their ass being mad at it. You're not contributing jack crap to the system by doing that. Hell, just rally around a good candidate or an independent party and get him his needed 5% of the vote so his party gets more funding in the future.

Of course the 2 party system isn't representative of the US population; but that isn't going to change unless you get out there and actually try to change it by voting. Look at the percentage of American citizens that actually use their right to vote. Rally the people like yourself who are too lazy to go out there and you'd destroy any potential competition.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007
I voted for Bush in 2000 and will vote for him again in 2004.
I have been in the Army Reserves for 10 years playing my part.
I laugh at all of the Bush bashers because they do it simply because they are mad because the Republicans are taking over! Bush is a moral man that stands up for what he believes. If we had Gore in office I know we would just sit here and continue to have America Terrorized to rubble as we sit back and try to negotiate with people who simply do not negotiate.
Oh, not more of this moral crap. Make me believe Bush is any more moral of a person then say Gore, and do it without mentioning Clinton.

And how the hell do you know what Gore would have done in this situation? You flat out don't. At least Gore had foreign policy experience, 8 years experience as VP, and actually wasn't AWOL during Vietnam. This Bush is the best we could have hoped for crap is so played out.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DanJ

That's a complete scapegoat. The system will never change due to people sitting at home on their ass being mad at it. You're not contributing jack crap to the system by doing that. Hell, just rally around a good candidate or an independent party and get him his needed 5% of the vote so his party gets more funding in the future.

Of course the 2 party system isn't representative of the US population; but that isn't going to change unless you get out there and actually try to change it by voting. Look at the percentage of American citizens that actually use their right to vote. Rally the people like yourself who are too lazy to go out there and you'd destroy any potential competition.
You just don't get it. I'm not here to contribute jack crap to the system; that's the whole point. When there's nothing on the voting block to change the system, when there's so little to quantify a difference between political parties, how will a vote help? I don't sit on my ass and I'm not mad about it, although it seems you are. I choose not to vote and I encourage others to do likewise. We're not lazy, it's just that most of you voters are too lazy and opt to be spoonfed by the system. It makes me laugh that so many of you upstanding citizens actually think you are doing something by casting your vote; that this suddenly qualifies you as having made a difference and puts you above non-voters.

Look, I'll make it simple for you. I don't vote because I choose not to vote and I support others who also desire not to vote. I don't wish to participate in a system that is comprised of a foregone conclusion. If you feel your vote makes a difference, that's great, it works for you.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
You just don't get it. I'm not here to contribute jack crap to the system; that's the whole point. When there's nothing on the voting block to change the system, when there's so little to quantify a difference between political parties, how will a vote help? I don't sit on my ass and I'm not mad about it, although it seems you are. I choose not to vote and I encourage others to do likewise. We're not lazy, it's just that most of you voters are too lazy and opt to be spoonfed by the system. It makes me laugh that so many of you upstanding citizens actually think you are doing something by casting your vote; that this suddenly qualifies you as having made a difference and puts you above non-voters.

Look, I'll make it simple for you. I don't vote because I choose not to vote and I support others who also desire not to vote. I don't wish to participate in a system that is comprised of a foregone conclusion. If you feel your vote makes a difference, that's great, it works for you.
It isn't a foregone conclusion. Less then half of this nation votes in the elections. There are a ton of candidates and hell anyone can be one if they're supported enough. Take that half of the nation that doesn't vote and have them vote for your candidate and you win.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
What does this thread have to do with "the war and the middle east"?

I believe it sprung out of the seemingly endless rhetoric that Bush was not elected but rather, 'selected'. There are few people who seem unable to differentiate between truth and fantasy. And these same people show a huge bias against this war simply due to the fact they're upset Gore lost.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
I believe it sprung out of the seemingly endless rhetoric that Bush was not elected but rather, 'selected'. There are few people who seem unable to differentiate between truth and fantasy. And these same people show a huge bias against this war simply due to the fact they're upset Gore lost.
Nice to see you continuing the rhetoric.

But no, its basis was I believe to see if the majority of people who were for/against this war actually exercised their most important right as a U.S. citizen; voting.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I'm not. It's fact. Bush was elected. Deal with it.

But no, its basis was I believe to see if the majority of people who were for/against this war actually exercised their most important right as a U.S. citizen; voting.
[/quote]
Would be a better basis.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
You're turning for or against war into a partisan thing. I'm hoping we can agree that there's greater depth then that.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
You're turning for or against war into a partisan thing. I'm hoping we can agree that there's greater depth then that.

No, I'm not. I'm trying to KEEP that from happening. It is others in this forum that continue to dredge up the 2000 election and their hatred of Bush as reasons to be against this war in Iraq.

Personally, I feel Gore would have acted similarly. I'm not sure he would have had the guts to do as much as Bush has done but I feel he would have headed down a similar path. Esp. considering the attitude of the Clinton administration against Saddam back in 1998 (even Kerry was behind use of force).

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: arcitech2
Originally posted by: flavio

Tell us, that's why I posted, I want your input, I want everyones' input. I want to put a fire under your butts and get you out into the real world, and out of these forums(once in a while, at least). Be a part of something bigger, and make your voice count.

...and what if everyone treated everyone the way they would like to be treated?

...and what if you didn't have to worry about going to the top of a skyscraper?

Gotta go, work is calling!

You've really got nothing to say of your own do you? What the hell does what you typed have to do with my post at all?