Did you get $600 from the government?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
ah you're right, there is a phaseout starting at those points:

I thought our AGI was lower last year, but it was calculated correctly. Someone keeps filing my kids on their taxes because their SSNs were hacked in that Paychex company data breach 2 years ago. It made me wonder if that caused some issues, but it appears not.

Don't do business with Paychex, btw....their security must be crap. 😃

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Looks at sig...need, no.

Edit: Delete the part where AJay whines about stupid problems :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
ah you're right, there is a phaseout starting at those points:

Wow I would actually qualify lol. When they have these things in Canada it's usually for low income earners only. Though CERB has a bunch of requirements to it and not just a minimum income. Most people who applied don't actually qualify and will have to pay it back at tax time.

These one time amounts are not really enough for the people who do need it though. People who lost their jobs still have reoccuring bills to pay, a one time amount is not enough.

Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 8, 2012
Protip: If you made substantially more money in 2020 than in 2019 like I did delay the shit out of filing your 2020 tax return as much as possible. More stimulus checks will be coming, and you will definetly want to make sure your income is low as possible.

But anyhow for the 2nd stimulus check I got around 1200 since I'm in the middle of the phase out with wife + 2 kids.

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I know we can’t pick which specific programs our own tax dollars fund but I like to think that my $600 came directly from Spidey.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I got my paper check straight from the money printer go brrrr factory.

I'm on the fence as getting the money is nice but I don't really need it. Took me a decade to clear up my credit card debt early in life and becoming a frugal saver and it concern me to see so much money being thrown around indiscriminately as the debt pile get bigger and bigger. Couples making $150k must be pulling in $200k before deduction and 401k etc. A lot of middle class people I know got richer during this pandemic not losing their job, got more money saved since can't take fancy vacations, and put more into stocks that reaped huge. Just anecdotal but still.

Reactions: highland145

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I'm on the fence as getting the money is nice but I don't really need it. Took me a decade to clear up my credit card debt early in life and becoming a frugal saver and it concern me to see so much money being thrown around indiscriminately as the debt pile get bigger and bigger. Couples making $150k must be pulling in $200k before deduction and 401k etc. A lot of middle class people I know got richer during this pandemic not losing their job, got more money saved since can't take fancy vacations, and put more into stocks that reaped huge. Just anecdotal but still.

Im in a similar anecdotal situation. I spent the last stimulus, but I wish they'd just help the people who are going under with it. I also feel like since I'm not spending money at places like unusually would, then I'll spend the stimulus on things I would like to get, but don't pony up for. This time around, I'm going to upgrade the fridge and I go thru a small local vendor for it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
A lot of middle class people I know got richer during this pandemic not losing their job, got more money saved since can't take fancy vacations, and put more into stocks that reaped huge.

That description fits us (if you change fancy vacations into ANY vacations and huge stock reapings into stock gains.) We were lucky and I am grateful for that.

Our $1200 was deposited in our checking acct Jan 1.

Nov 8, 2012

Theres plenty of people that make as much as you do that are "struggling"

Given - the majority of Americans (regardless of if they are poor or make $70k+) are consumer-spending whores. Especially the middle-class. They always feel the need to buy shit and keep up with the Jones' all the time as they spend every month paying off a home, a credit card or 2, tons of monthly expenses, 2 new vehicles, etc.. etc.. All the while, they can't fit their vehicles in the garage because it's filled with crap.

I guess my point is, as much as people may SEEM like they make decent bank from their job - it doesn't mean they aren't struggling financially from piss poor decisions. Because the majority simply are.

Reactions: Johnny Ringo

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
We keep getting the full amount for five people, $3k on this last go. While we did not need any of it I certainly wasn't going to turn it away. We are going into 2021 debt free and with a huge, for us, summer vacation already booked. All thanks to by far the best financial year of my life and the gov continuing to spit out free money. I do realize that we are very lucky to be in this position.