Did Windows Update slow down my gaming performance?

Cyber Akuma

Dec 19, 2012
I am building a new gaming system, considering that the screen is only 1920x1080 resolution, from most benchmarks I have seen, the i7 and GTX670 I put in it shoul be enough to handle any current game at highest settings at a playable framerate.

So I put in a temporary junk HDD and installed Windows 7 (64bit professional) just to test it out and try different configurations on it before I install it for real on the actual system drive.

After downloading the demos to known hardware-straining games like Crysis and Metro 2033 I was pretty satisfied with the performance.

Evetually, I ran windows update and installed all recommended and optional (except for Bing Desktop) updates. After several reboots and re-updates to make sure everything was installed I shut it down.

The next day I start it up again and notice that it was taking two to three times as long to boot up..... fair enough, I did just install many updates. But now I noticed that performance had taken a total nosedive as well. For some reason it took several minutes after the desktop had loaded for any program to actually start up. The Crysis demo (even with vsync turned on from the console) had massive tearing where there wasn't any before, and the Metro 2033 demo had slowdowns, especially when turning!

I suspect its MSE thats causing it (I am going to install NOD32 as my real antivirus anyway) but is there any way I can test what could be causing this lag in case it isn't MSE? I can't just not run Windows Update after all, that would be beyond stupid, especially on a fresh install. Pretty much the only thing that changed between the last time I ran those demos and now was installing updates.

Any good way to see what might be bottlenecking it's gaming performance?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Your HDD is fragmented. Run a defrag on the drive and try again.

Heavy games load a lot of info from the HDD and if the data is fragmented(which happens when you install a bunch of stuff on the drive), the access time is longer than a fresh drive.

If you upgrade to an SSD you will see a huge increase in performance, especially start up time.

Cyber Akuma

Dec 19, 2012
If you upgrade to an SSD you will see a huge increase in performance, especially start up time.

I am going to use a RAID0 SSD when its finished actually, atm I am using a laptop SATA drive I had lying around just as a test drive. Thing is, while I am aware laptop HDDs are pretty slow, these games were running fine before windows update.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
degrag it and try again. It might help quite a bit. Fragmentation is one of the most overlooked causes of slow performance.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
You may have inadvertently installed a different set of video card drivers when you did the Windows updates as well. Check to make sure you're not using an older driver version..

Aug 11, 2008
Not sure what is causing the slowdown, but I doubt it is MSE unless there is some weird conflict with some software you are using. I and several friends run MSE on a variety of computers and have never had any problems with it causing slowdowns.

Cyber Akuma

Dec 19, 2012
I checked the drivers and the latest versions are still installed.

Installed defraggler to do an analysis of my drive and HOLY **** 70% FRAGMENTED!

How is this even possible? This install is barely a week old and I have mostly just been installing, not uninstalling.

I can understand how this can cause a slow system, although, how would this cause tearing and slowdowns in videogames when the data is already loaded? Especially in Metro when I was turning around?

prateik.aj

Sep 13, 2012
jst install important and security updates.. ( uninstall .NET Framework older version through windows update and other junk )
defag system weekly twice... (for defragment i suggest Native defragmenter or defraggler)
remove/disable startup programe..
dont update ur video card driver through windows update its install older version (always update latest version)

prateik.aj

Sep 13, 2012
jst install the security updates.. ( unisntall .NET Framework older versions and other junk from windows updates)
defrag system twice a weekly ( for defrag i suggest native defragmenter or defraggler )
dont update ur video drivers through windows update its a older version of driver (and always update the latest driver version for GFX card)
disable/remove unwanted startup programe
repair/remove corrupted registry through Ccleaner or tune-up utility - this might be little helpfull