Did the FBI drop the ball on Omar Mateen?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did the FBI drop the ball

• Yes

• No

• Not enough is known, abstain from voting

Results are only viewable after voting.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You rarely make sense- that's a given.

Nowhere have I suggested that the American people be disarmed. That's a red herring.

At issue is the notion that armed resistance against tyrannical govt is more than a fantasy in our society & the notion that military style carbines are necessary to serve the bogus ends you claim are valid. What great cause would provoke such an uprising, other than a black usurper in the oval office? So-called Patriots like the Bundy militia intend what, exactly, other than to demonstrate their idiocy?

I'm sure that Mexican cartels view the govt as tyrannical & arm themselves accordingly with 5.56 carbines being their weapon of choice. Conveniently, their Yanqui neighbors make such weapons readily available. Cuz Freedumb, obviously, & cuz range toys are soooo cool until whackjobs use them for mass murder, just another easily dismissed aspect of fear based firearms ownership.
Isn't the proof of tyrannical government one that wants to eliminate the possibility of them being overthrown?

Yeah, those yanquis and their fast and furious.

Nov 8, 2012
That's just it isn't it... if Mateen isn't stopped... who is?
Turns out they do not and cannot protect us.

Quick! Better make some more rules, laws, and enforcement policies to strip us of more rights for another dose of safety illusion! To the bat mobile!

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So we must all be disarmed. That's the only way we can be safe from terrorists and criminals intent on killing us. They obviously won't get weapons said everybody in Paris.

This fbi thing cannot be targeted and prosecuted enough. This level of failure is either prolific ineptitude and negligence, pc dominance, or purpose driven agenda.

What no mention of the NRA's role in keeping gun buy information out of government hands? Don't blame the FBI's ignorance on anything but the NRA.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
What no mention of the NRA's role in keeping gun buy information out of government hands? Don't blame the FBI's ignorance on anything but the NRA.

So you want the FBI notified of all purchases like Mateen's? Hmmm, who took him off the watch list along with 3 other mass murders in the last couple of years, and who exactly maintains the background check database?

Get back to me when you do a Google search, mkay?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Besides the FBI is too busy manufacturing easy target terrorists with their sting operations. Why spend thousands of hours investigating reports to catch one radicle out in the wilds when you can garner accolades for catching a cage raised one.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So you want the FBI notified of all purchases like Mateen's? Hmmm, who took him off the watch list along with 3 other mass murders in the last couple of years, and who exactly maintains the background check database?

Get back to me when you do a Google search, mkay?

Apples and oranges there.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Apples and oranges there.

The NRA doesn't control who's on the list, and The FBI does the background checks.

Welcome to the Fumble Bereau of Investigation, the current exceutive branch bears more responsibility in what they did than the NRA.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Had they arrested him before he did anything:

"Just another guy being picked on! Just profiling! Why aren't they out catching the *real* badguys??! FBI sucks!"

After the fact:

"Why did they drop the ball on this guy??!! Too busy targeting innocent people and profiling! FBI sucks!"

Law enforcement in the age of Fakebook blabbermouth 'justice' is just a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

"Just another guy being picked on! Just profiling! Why aren't they out catching the *real* badguys??! FBI sucks!"

After the fact:

"Why did they drop the ball on this guy??!! Too busy targeting innocent people and profiling! FBI sucks!"

Law enforcement in the age of Fakebook blabbermouth 'justice' is just a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition.

Granted, the failures are rather spectacular, aren't they?

I guess keeping him on the watch list and surveiling him after he bought guns, sold his house, tidied up his insurance, cased Disney World, a gay club and then killed nearly 50 people would have been over the line. Meanwhile, I have to take off my flip flops at the airport, because reasons.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

After the fact:

Supposedly co-worker said he claimed or was part of various conflicting terrorist groups. The FBI investigated this and found it to be untrue.

Now if someone told you a black guy was a drug dealer & gang member on welfare who left his kids, then this turned out untrue, you'd perhaps think that someone is a bigot. Or not as might be the case here.

It turns out the guy was likely mentally unstable which was a major contributor to his actions, which is difficult to predict ahead of time. I mean, there are plenty of armed white folk with animosity towards anyone else, and some appear a bit loony, but it's not necessary fit for the FBI to round them all up in camps or whatnot.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I guess keeping him on the watch list and surveiling him after he bought guns, sold his house, tidied up his insurance, cased Disney World, a gay club and then killed nearly 50 people would have been over the line. Meanwhile, I have to take off my flip flops at the airport, because reasons.

That's actually the point. If we added more BS to the Patriot Act "for our protection", it'd only be used against the general populace while purposefully being blind towards Islamic terrorism.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

If you think the FBI has the kind of resources that the media used after the fact to string all of that together you're out of your mind. It's not like the watch list is a surveillance list. They're not the Stasi.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You don't think a single vote can murder dozens? Lol. A single vote can muder millions.

One man's common sense gun control is another man's inability to defend themselves from a tyrannical government. The founding fathers knew that. It's why they enumerated the states inability to eliminate that right. It is why federalist 28, 29, and 46 spoke of it, repeatedly. Why the courts have upheld it through 240 years.

I always laugh hysterically when I see things like this. If the united states government comes after you, you are going to die (and about 100 innocents for each guilty person). America has slaughtered hundreds of thousands in the Middle East. How much did those countries with their weapons injure the United States military? Not much. And yet you think that a bunch of inbred borderline retard hick fuck twits with their small arms can violently overthrow the government of the most powerful NUCLEAR ARMED SUPER STATE to ever exist. The level of delusion in that kind of thinking is on a scale that is beyond comprehension.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Awesome post.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Awesome in employing 20/20 hindsight. Other than that, it's bullshit.

He was on the watch list for a while, they got part of it right. Keeping him on the list would have alerted them to the gun purchases, which could have been delayed, while they had time to interview him.

The proposal that people on the watch list be denied gun purchases wouldn't have stopped him, as he was removed from the watch list.

This kind of stuff is the perfect storm, I have to admit, pitting one right against another, and then the whole due process issue of the watch list in general is disconcerting to me on multiple levels. I wish I had all the answers, and I'm glad I don't have to fall asleep at night feeling badly because it was me that took him off the watch list, and have all those dead and injured on my conscience.

And truth be told I'd be sort of messed up if the FBI interviewed me, throw in an unstable personality, and I'm not 100% sure the system/process didn't help push him over the edge.

Last edited:

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
And truth be told I'd be sort of messed up if the FBI interviewed me, throw in an unstable personality, and I'm not 100% sure the system/process didn't help push him over the edge.
But do you have brown skin or muslim sounding name? If not, what do you have to worry?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Memory. That's something that never suffers from confirmation bias.

Not memory, part of his school record

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando...-early-school-records-note-he-lacked-remorse/

Ah, I was wrong, it was his 5th grade teacher

In Mateen's 5th grade school record, a teacher at Mariposa Elementary School writes of Mateen's inability to stay focused, his "lack of remorse," and his opposition.

It doesn't say specifically, but classmates say one of his suspensions was for celebrating the 9-11 attack.

Last edited: