Question Did something just for fun.

Winterschlager

May 18, 2017
so slow.png

Since most people here are talking about fast CPU's and such. I downclocked my already slow CPU along with my GPU (RX 560D) to the lowest speed it can, which is at 800Mhz (it was 4.2GHz before)

Speaking of performance, it's really slow despite using all 4 "cores". It feels like I'm using my old Celeron M laptop from 2006 while running Windows 7 with it. The mouse cursor laughably teleports when I move the mouse too fast if something is happening (like loading a webpage and such).

CPU-Z benchmark shown a single threaded score of 16.2 and a multithreaded score of 66.4. I believe my Atom Z3735G has better scores that this.

Gonna try running games with it. IF it would run, and not crawl.

JTaylor2005

Nov 27, 2018
I am wondering if you could get it lower than that by changing the FSB frequency down as well? At the moment have you only done the multiplier?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, I'd be interested in seeing if it would even be usable with a 166 FSB or lower.

To be fair though, even the "fast" Vishera chips weren't really that great. I had a few and was never that impressed when compared to Intel's offerings of the time. I still ended up keeping an FX chip in my main computer for awhile ...longer than I probably should have.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Winterschlager

May 18, 2017
I am wondering if you could get it lower than that by changing the FSB frequency down as well? At the moment have you only done the multiplier?

I tried it. Sadly my board (GB 970 DS3) doesn't allow any changes below 200MHz, so it's stuck at 800MHz (I only changed the CPU multiplier before, which is at 4).

Also tried putting both HT link and RAM speeds to the lowest, but resulted in the BIOS returning an error message after restarting.

As for games, I tried Warthunder on the highest settings (Movie). FPS was on the 5-30 range on Air battles. Also tried Half-Life 2, which ran just fine with a lot of framedrops to 10fps, especially when a lot of physics suddenly happens (it triggers a pause, then the ragdolls moves).

CPU temps, according to the on-screen stats, is at 17°C.

Winterschlager

May 18, 2017
What? So you game/live in a room colder than 17°C?

With this thing's normal heat, you can fuse Hydrogen to make Helium with it lmao.

Jokes aside, I live near the equator with no air conditioning unit in my room whatsoever. So it's probably that my cooler (a GAMMAXX 400, kinda a cheaper version of CM hyper 212.) is making it waaay to cool at these very low frequencies. That, or it's detecting the wrong numbers.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
With this thing's normal heat, you can fuse Hydrogen to make Helium with it lmao.

Jokes aside, I live near the equator with no air conditioning unit in my room whatsoever. So it's probably that my cooler (a GAMMAXX 400, kinda a cheaper version of CM hyper 212.) is making it waaay to cool at these very low frequencies. That, or it's detecting the wrong numbers.

An air cooler can't get your CPU colder than the air you blow through it; that's just thermodynamics. You need an active heat pump like a Peltier cooler to get below room temperature.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It's been a long time since I played with them, but I'm pretty sure that the Piledriver temperature sensors give bad readings once they are below like 30 C or something like that. Once above that temperature, the readings are fine, but below the readings can be way off. Just a quirk of the CPUs.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In order to get my previous Phenom II X6 960T running as quietly as possible, I undervolted and forced it to run at its lowest C-stepping, being I think about 800MHz. This was probably around 2012 I guess. The only times when I felt the extra speed was necessary was browsing and gaming. I gave up on doing it in the end because going into Control Panel > Power was a faff and attempting to script the power profile alterations didn't consistently result in the clock speed management going back to the standard balanced setting.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Since most people here are talking about fast CPU's and such. I downclocked my already slow CPU along with my GPU (RX 560D) to the lowest speed it can, which is at 800Mhz (it was 4.2GHz before)
Is the voltage in the screenshot real? If so, you're still missing a lot of power savings, or more importantly running the CPU @ 1600Mhz with the proper voltage would likely use the same power as it's using now.

Winterschlager

May 18, 2017
An air cooler can't get your CPU colder than the air you blow through it; that's just thermodynamics. You need an active heat pump like a Peltier cooler to get below room temperature.

Oh, I'm comparing the current low temperature to the heat that the CPU produces in its normal speed, and not the room air temperature. Just pretty bad english sidewinding again.

Is the voltage in the screenshot real? If so, you're still missing a lot of power savings, or more importantly running the CPU @ 1600Mhz with the proper voltage would likely use the same power as it's using now.

Yes, the voltage was left on auto, since I didn't want to touch it (I had a problem before where my PC keeps crashing only on Metro Last Light if I change the voltage in any way, which made me afraid of changing it.).

Reactions: NTMBK