Did people forget gas stations are no smoking?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Never underestimate dumb. That is how Bush Jr got into office.

Fixed for you.

And due to boredom I filled a gas can about 1/3rd of the way full without a top on it and put it out in the So Cal sun. In a few hours I'll go throw a lit cigarette in it then I'll be back to report that jack shit happened.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Fixed for you.

And due to boredom I filled a gas can about 1/3rd of the way full without a top on it and put it out in the So Cal sun. In a few hours I'll go throw a lit cigarette in it then I'll be back to report that jack shit happened.

You might not want to wait a few hours, by then the gas might have completely evaporated. 10-20 minutes should be long enough to get a good concentration of gas vapors.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Have you ever worked in explosion proof environments? This is where the thinking comes from. EVERY device is enclosed in a heavy steel case so there is no chance of sparks contacting the air. Cell phones and any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited. Hell, even regular phones are encased in steel.

The fact of the matter is cell phones in the proximity of gas vapors can cause explosions.

Bullshit. Every story of a cell phone causing a gas station fire turns out to be caused by something else. The person just happened to be using a cell phone. Usually it's a static electricity spark from getting into/out of the car.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
What? Then why do they put those cigarette holes so conveniently placed by the gas cap?