Did people forget gas stations are no smoking?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I swear more and more I see butts around the pumps and people just puffing away.

WTF?

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
Well maybe we'll get lucky and one of them will blow you up and rid the world of your stupidity.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Smoking doesn't really cause that bad of a problem compared to what I'm seeing more and more which is much more dangerous. People using cell phones and getting in and out of their vehicle when pumping.

The throwing a cigarette in gas blow up only works in the movies.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Smoking doesn't really cause that bad of a problem compared to what I'm seeing more and more which is much more dangerous. People using cell phones and getting in and out of their vehicle when pumping.

Yeah right.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

Gas vapors are flammable and you have to be brain dead to test the odds by smoking in it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Dude, gas is conbustable, majorly when in a container.

Diesel won't blow up though like they show old warships doing sometimes when they get hit in the tanks.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

Lit cigarettes are much more of a hazard than cell phones. Cell phones only have a very remote chance of igniting gas fumes (radio waves don't ignite anything). However, an open flame around gas fumes DOES pose a hazard. As does getting in and out of the car, yes, because that can generate some static electricity, which can make a spark, which can ignite gas fumes.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
A burning cigarette isn't hot enough to light gas on fire. I've thrown a lit cigarette in a container of gas before and it just went out. I always smoke by the pump. Now if you see someone lighting a cigarette while pumping. Thats a problem.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
A burning cigarette isn't hot enough to light gas on fire. I've thrown a lit cigarette in a container of gas before and it just went out. I always smoke by the pump. Now if you see someone lighting a cigarette while pumping. Thats a problem.

Exactly. A lit cigarette isn't going to cause an explosion or ignite gas or gas vapor. A spark from an electronic device or static however is more than enough to ignite the gas vapor and cause explosion. Is there a glow plug in your gas motor? No, there is a SPARK plug.

I would be pretty confident in saying static electricity causes most all gas station explosions or fires.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

OK I completely hear you out on the whole "not grounding yourself" thing, that can obviously cause sparks, but the cell phone issue? You're running the very same risk of causing a fire by just carrying the phone with you. When your phone is on, but not on a call, it's still transmitting and receiving data. Position updates, texts, and more if you have a smart phone. People think that just because you don't have an active call, it's safe, but there's not much difference in terms of electronic activity if you really think that's a cause for concern. If you believe a cell phone is going to light you up at a gas station, leave it in your car, not your pocket.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Exactly. A lit cigarette isn't going to cause an explosion or ignite gas or gas vapor. A spark from an electronic device or static however is more than enough to ignite the gas vapor and cause explosion. Is there a glow plug in your gas motor? No, there is a SPARK plug.

I would be pretty confident in saying static electricity causes most all gas station explosions or fires.

won't ignite the gas directly, the vapor on the other hand is a different matter, but at a standard gas station scenario enough vapor shouldn't be present to matter.

Apr 12, 2010
Was at a gas station a few weeks ago and one of the workers was just smoking out front. If you work there, go smoke behind the building. Dur.

Sa7aN

Aug 16, 2010
a cigarette doesnt burn hot enough to ignite gas or gas vapor, you can put a cigarette or cigar out in gasoline, now the match or lighter they use to light said cigarette is another story

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Lit cigarettes are much more of a hazard than cell phones. Cell phones only have a very remote chance of igniting gas fumes (radio waves don't ignite anything). However, an open flame around gas fumes DOES pose a hazard. As does getting in and out of the car, yes, because that can generate some static electricity, which can make a spark, which can ignite gas fumes.

i saw a guy ontop a diesel truck blow up from answering his cellphone while filling it up (was filling tanker)

I have thrown 5+ lit ciggs into bucket of gas and nothing happened.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
i saw a guy ontop a diesel truck blow up from answering his cellphone while filling it up (was filling tanker)

Where? it must have made the news. I have never heard of such an occurrence.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Gasoline (petrol)
Flash point: -43 °C (-45 °F)
Autoignition temperature: 246 °C (495 °F)

Cigarettes certainly burn hot enough to ignite gasoline vapors. The bucket of gasoline trick works because air/vapor mixture is too rich on the surface of the gasoline. Hold a lit cigarette up a few inches off the surface and see if you get the same effect.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

You are completely full of shit. A cigarette is not going to ignite diesel. I use diesel all the time for starting fires. Burns nice and hot, and not too quickly, allowing green wood enough time to get a good fire going. Alternatively, I use used motor oil mixed with gasoline, but that's a little too smoky. The firemen around here use diesel when starting controlled burns. Reason: Diesel doesn't "blow up." Gasoline blows up when in the right air/fuel ratio. A cell phone is NOT going to ignite diesel fumes, nor is it going to ignite gasoline fumes. A lit cigarette poses a minimal risk (10's if not 100's of thousands, or even millions of people fuel up each day while smoking, yet fires cause by the lit cigarette (as opposed to lighting it) are quite rare) *Lighting* a cigarette where there's an open flame poses a far greater risk, else a static spark right by the gas nozzle where vapors are more likely to be in the correct ratio with air to ignite. Most of the air surrounding the gas station has zero risk of ignition. You could walk around with a giant lit torch and not ignite anything, so long as you stayed a foot or so away from the nozzles.

The argument about vapors being too concentrated near the surface of the gasoline - uhh, how did the cigarette get there? Teleportation? It would ahve to go through an area where the concentration poses an ignition hazard.

edit: You can get diesel to "blow up", but it requires a pressure through a small orifice to create a very fine spray.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Is it so hard to refrain from smoking for 10 minutes while your pumping gas though?

The pumps are usually clearly marked, no smoking, no electronics, no getting into/out of your vehicle while smoking, etc.