Did Obama need bulletproof glass at his acceptance speech?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

Yes I know it's a blog, but I couldn't find any non-blog and this was from a real news source (the telegraph).

Was this something that was really needed? Obviously McCain didn't have it, so that means it is just for Obama. Should we expect this to be the norm for his presidency?

Well, McCain addressed a smaller crowd by a few orders of magnitude. Wasn't it something like 200,000 people at that acceptance speech?

And then considering the emotionally charged atmosphere of these campaigns, much less the whole "first black president" thing....I'd say extra precautions were called for.

Feb 19, 2001
Have you guys seen the Taiwan election in March this year? President Elect Ma was speaking right behind this thick glass plate. And if you know Taiwanese politics, you know it's about 100x as emotional as American politics with food fights in congress and what not. I'm not surprised they gave Obama some protection like this.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
If he gets anything less than the full pope-mobile, that proves the SS is racist and wants him gone.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Ofcourse it would be a catastrophe - just like the assassination of any president would be. The after affects might be viewed as worse for a variety of reasons though as you suggest.

IMO the atmospherics of this particular President would arguably make it a bigger deal in terms of our nation's progress than any prior presidential assassination. We could see 150 years of progress in race relations undone in the blink of an eye, and see civil unrest of a magnitude that is essentially unprecedented. Obviously that is only one possible reaction, but I don't think it's really a fanciful one.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Yeah, it isn't like there has been two plots against his life already or anything... oooooooooooooh wait.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
If he gets anything less than the full pope-mobile w/ 22 spinnas, that proves the SS is racist and wants him gone.

Fixed.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Would you be making this thread if someone fired a couple of rounds at him last night? Better safe than sorry I say.

No, but I would most likely be making a thread saying "why didn't they put up bulletproof glass screens last night?"

Yes I realize that is just looking at situations after the fact, but I would like to believe that this country has come past that point where we would kill somebody because of their race. I don't want a president that has to be in a glass box for 4/8 years. I like it when they come out and can "mingle" with citizens. I would rather be safe than sorry as well, but I would rather it not be required at all. I know that isn't the case, but I just wonder if that is going to be what the first "black" president will have to deal with for his term.

I wish you were right, but we are not sadly. Most of us are but there are some that are not. :(

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
I think given the potential for any attempt on his life to cause massive civil unrest by the black community, he should be afforded a higher level of protection than past presidents, if that's even possible. White supremacists, or any other anti American nut jobs out there, now have the opportunity to set race relations back 50yrs in this country, and that cant just be dismissed.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think any sane American (and really, ANY American who isn't a Klansman or white supremacist) would agree that an Obama assassination would be a catastrophe of epic proportions, and the resulting events would make the Rodney King riots look like a Boy Scout Jamboree.

you apparently have never been to a boy scout jamboree.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
This assasination business sounds like a far left fantasy. Probably to validate their opinions on far righties.

God damn.. wow

Tell us the horrible abuses and hatred towards Senior Citizens and the Elderly is on par WITH the abuses lynching?s/dragging deaths/twisted murders of Negroes by white knuckle dragging lumps of shit in this country

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
LOL @ all the people assuming blacks will riot if something happens to the president.

What are they, some unintelligent powder-keg that is ready to riot at a moments notice? The only thought process is "MY PRESIDENT OF SAME SKIN IS DEAD, MUST KILL WHITEY!?"

Give me a break.

Yep because it isn't like they rioted when some crackhead nobody was beaten up by police. I do not think it would be a riot of color. I actually think if Obama is taken out there might be a class war in this country. He is a savior to many poor working class city people (regardless of color). If he is assassinated it will not be pretty.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yes I know it's a blog, but I couldn't find any non-blog and this was from a real news source (the telegraph).

Was this something that was really needed? Obviously McCain didn't have it, so that means it is just for Obama. Should we expect this to be the norm for his presidency?

Heh, no need for a news source. They were pretty visible last night during his acceptance speech. Someone posted a HDTV rip of it online and I downloaded it to take a peek. I clearly saw the huge panes to his left and right a couple times when they weren't focused on him.

I also noticed that he didn't smile much at the end when he was waving. *shrug*

Also, I'm pretty sure they just consider it a necessary precaution. Obama's speech was delivered outside where as McCain's was delivered inside. The article you posted mentioned a lot about making sure the panes protected from the distant high rises and such (so it seems the outside aspect really pushed for it).