Did Obama need bulletproof glass at his acceptance speech?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse
I believe that any president or president-elect would require bullet-proof glass at large public appearances -- especially those that are so difficult for the Secret Service to control and contain (ie. 125k people in a public park). McCain's event was a much more controlled event where the crowd was much smaller, and the angles of attack were very limited.

That said, the threats on Obama's life by the inbred retarded racist rednecks in this country are real, so I hope the agents play their A-game for the next 4-8 years.

PS: if you paid very close attention to this aspect of Obama's venue, as I always do, then you'll notice that there were no sheets of glass directly in front of the podium. Why? Because the pavilion housing the large band and chorus blocked that angle of attack...

It's all about the venue people...

And IIRC the media was in front and center as well, which were all but strip-searched.

Originally posted by: Canterwood
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Okay, so why didn't McCain have it setup for his speech? Once again this was setup before the outcome was known, so how come McCain didn't have anything like this setup?
Because the only assassin McCain has to worry about is the Grim Reaper, and bullet proof glass aint no use against him tbh.

Okay I'll admit I :laugh:ed at that. :)

I know McCain didn't have the level of threats that Obama had, but my point of the OP was more of "what does it say about our country?" and "will the president be in a glass box for the next 4/8 years?"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
This assasination business sounds like a far left fantasy. Probably to validate their opinions on far righties.
If by far left, you mean the 2 skinheads they caught, that had that fantasy, then I agree. ;)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Would you be making this thread if someone fired a couple of rounds at him last night? Better safe than sorry I say.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Would you be making this thread if someone fired a couple of rounds at him last night? Better safe than sorry I say.

No, but I would most likely be making a thread saying "why didn't they put up bulletproof glass screens last night?"

Yes I realize that is just looking at situations after the fact, but I would like to believe that this country has come past that point where we would kill somebody because of their race. I don't want a president that has to be in a glass box for 4/8 years. I like it when they come out and can "mingle" with citizens. I would rather be safe than sorry as well, but I would rather it not be required at all. I know that isn't the case, but I just wonder if that is going to be what the first "black" president will have to deal with for his term.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
I think given the potential for any attempt on his life to cause massive civil unrest by the black community, he should be afforded a higher level of protection than past presidents, if that's even possible. White supremacists, or any other anti American nut jobs out there, now have the opportunity to set race relations back 50yrs in this country, and that cant just be dismissed.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think any sane American (and really, ANY American who isn't a Klansman or white supremacist) would agree that an Obama assassination would be a catastrophe of epic proportions, and the resulting events would make the Rodney King riots look like a Boy Scout Jamboree.

Ofcourse it would be a catastrophe - just like the assassination of any president would be. The after affects might be viewed as worse for a variety of reasons though as you suggest.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
This assasination business sounds like a far left fantasy. Probably to validate their opinions on far righties.

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure the Secret Service takes action based on "far left fantasies" :roll:

I am not speaking about the secret service. But the constant flow of assasination talk from the left about Obama. And it is always some gun toting 3 tooth hillbilly who carries it out in their fantasy. IMO Obama isnt in any more danger than any other president.

Obviously a professional opinion based on a throrough analysis of credible threats received, compared to past presidents.

Personally, i'd trust the secret service to determine if there are heightened threats or not. Based on the bulletproof glass, I think we have an answer.

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
Obama should recruit a bunch of elites to go in at night and take out the KKK. =P THose ppl serve no purpose in a 21st century society except to fan the flames of discrimination.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
He probably got personal force field around him the naked eye can't see. If CNN can do hologram interview and 3D models, I don't see why the secret service hasn't come up w/ a personal force field already.

marketsons1985

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse
I believe that any president or president-elect would require bullet-proof glass at large public appearances -- especially those that are so difficult for the Secret Service to control and contain (ie. 125k people in a public park). McCain's event was a much more controlled event where the crowd was much smaller, and the angles of attack were very limited.

That said, the threats on Obama's life by the inbred retarded racist rednecks in this country are real, so I hope the agents play their A-game for the next 4-8 years.

PS: if you paid very close attention to this aspect of Obama's venue, as I always do, then you'll notice that there were no sheets of glass directly in front of the podium. Why? Because the pavilion housing the large band and chorus blocked that angle of attack...

It's all about the venue people...

This. Grant Park is much less secure than whatever hotel ballroom McCain was in.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: Did Obama need bulletproof glass at his acceptance speech?
Topic Summary: Or is everything being blown out of proportion?

Yes I know it's a blog, but I couldn't find any non-blog and this was from a real news source (the telegraph).

Was this something that was really needed? Obviously McCain didn't have it, so that means it is just for Obama. Should we expect this to be the norm for his presidency?

Oh come on.

Dead MLK, Kennedy's, McKinley, Lincoln etc. Dumb to even make the OP. :roll:

Okay, so why didn't McCain have it setup for his speech? Once again this was setup before the outcome was known, so how come McCain didn't have anything like this setup?

McCain's was an invite only private event. Obama's was public and open to anyone.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
I think given the potential for any attempt on his life to cause massive civil unrest by the black community, he should be afforded a higher level of protection than past presidents, if that's even possible. White supremacists, or any other anti American nut jobs out there, now have the opportunity to set race relations back 50yrs in this country, and that cant just be dismissed.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think any sane American (and really, ANY American who isn't a Klansman or white supremacist) would agree that an Obama assassination would be a catastrophe of epic proportions, and the resulting events would make the Rodney King riots look like a Boy Scout Jamboree.

Yup.

Make the Summer of '67 look like a backyard BBQ.

And not to be picky, but from the look of those panels I'd say they were bomb-proof in addition to bullet-proof. I caught a side view and they looked to be 75-100mm thick.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
LOL @ all the people assuming blacks will riot if something happens to the president.

What are they, some unintelligent powder-keg that is ready to riot at a moments notice? The only thought process is "MY PRESIDENT OF SAME SKIN IS DEAD, MUST KILL WHITEY!?"

Give me a break.

filetitan

Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Canterwood
Because the only assassin McCain has to worry about is the Grim Reaper, and bullet proof glass aint no use against him tbh.

LOL yeah no kidding.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
LOL @ all the people assuming blacks will riot if something happens to the president.

What are they, some unintelligent powder-keg that is ready to riot at a moments notice? The only thought process is "MY PRESIDENT OF SAME SKIN IS DEAD, MUST KILL WHITEY!?"

Give me a break.

Nobody said anything about 'Killing Whitey'

Dolt.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
If someone wanted any of them dead that glass wasnt going to stop a damn thing.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
It was simply because of the venue that it took place. There are way to many buildings overlooking Grant Park so theres no way that they could control them all. This is the reason that it was only on his sides, hence the part where they talk about using lasers, they had to cover all possible angles from far buildings.

Typically a President isn't wide out in the open with a ton of buildings. If it's a speech actually in front of a building, there are only a handful of buildings with line of site on the podium Relax guys, this has nothing to do with one candidate over the other.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure the Secret Service takes action based on "far left fantasies" :roll:

I am not speaking about the secret service. But the constant flow of assasination talk from the left about Obama. And it is always some gun toting 3 tooth hillbilly who carries it out in their fantasy. IMO Obama isnt in any more danger than any other president.

Man, you just won't give it a rest. There is nothing wrong with precaution. Get a life.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

No, but I would most likely be making a thread saying "why didn't they put up bulletproof glass screens last night?"

Yes I realize that is just looking at situations after the fact, but I would like to believe that this country has come past that point where we would kill somebody because of their race. I don't want a president that has to be in a glass box for 4/8 years. I like it when they come out and can "mingle" with citizens. I would rather be safe than sorry as well, but I would rather it not be required at all. I know that isn't the case, but I just wonder if that is going to be what the first "black" president will have to deal with for his term.

JFK wasn't precautious, and look what happened to him. he wasn't black.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

So Obama will always have a screen between him and the "unsafe" public?

JFK has done what many presidents have done. Unfortunately he was killed for political reasons most likely.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

So Obama will always have a screen between him and the "unsafe" public?

JFK has done what many presidents have done. Unfortunately he was killed for political reasons most likely.

Dont post again until you realize the world is filled with idiots.......it only takes one.

Sounds like you want him to stand naked with no protection.......thats basically what you keep repeating. Why does it bother you so much that he is taking precautions against the racists that dont want him around. There are more important things you should be focusing on.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: Did Obama need bulletproof glass at his acceptance speech?
Topic Summary: Or is everything being blown out of proportion?

Yes I know it's a blog, but I couldn't find any non-blog and this was from a real news source (the telegraph).

Was this something that was really needed? Obviously McCain didn't have it, so that means it is just for Obama. Should we expect this to be the norm for his presidency?

Oh come on.

Dead MLK, Kennedy's, McKinley, Lincoln etc. Dumb to even make the OP. :roll:

WTFC.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Drakkon
150K+ people on a grassy knoll?
if i was president (elect) being called the next JFK i wouldn't wanna take any chances either.....

Damn straight.

Protecting the President is the proper thing to do, how is this even a topic?

Desturel

Nov 25, 2001

People on the left wouldn't want to kill McCain even if he did win. That would leave Palin as Pres which would scare the bejebus out of them.

LS8

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2008
There are a lot of guns in Chicago ya know, despite them being illegal there. I see that gun ban is working well to keep criminals from getting their hands on a firearm.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Desturel

People on the left wouldn't want to kill McCain even if he did win. That would leave Palin as Pres which would scare the bejebus out of them.

And anyone with a brain knows that Biden is waaaaaay out to the left of Obama.

The devil you know.....