Question Did my PSU kill my graphics cards?

Amanoo

Apr 20, 2021
So I've had two cards die on me in short succession. 3 of you count that I had one repaired.

My first card was a GTX780, reference design. It started showing artifacts (coloured triangles, and patterned dots), so I got a GTX1080. This one started showing the same artifacts after two weeks. I had it repaired (a reball), but it died again after another 2 weeks. I had it repaired again, and this time used different RAM, CPU, and motherboard. It died again. The only common factor was the PSU. I didn't have a spare unit to test with. Others have confirmed that it's the GTX1080 that's acting up. It's not only behaving this way in my system. The cards are definitely broken.

My PC has a 7700K, MSI Z270I Pro Carbon AC, some Ballistix RAM, and the PSU is a Corsair SF600 Platinum 600W that's not even a year old. It's not part of the recall SKU. I already checked. No third party cables or extensions. Didn't see any scorch marks on the motherboard or bulging capacitors.

So yeah, cards keep dying in my system. I'm becoming paranoid. The real question is then, am I just extremely unlucky to have graphics cards die on my so often? Or is my computer actually killing them? How would I even know?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
To be fair to your Corsair PSU, I've heard that those "GPU re-ball" attempts don't last very long either, so honestly, it could probably go either way, in my eyes.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try another PSU, a new/tested one, and then if your GPU dies again, then you basically know it's the GPU.

Reactions: legcramp

Amanoo

Apr 20, 2021
To be fair to your Corsair PSU, I've heard that those "GPU re-ball" attempts don't last very long either, so honestly, it could probably go either way, in my eyes.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try another PSU, a new/tested one, and then if your GPU dies again, then you basically know it's the GPU.
I don't have another PSU though. Not one with enough wattage or that I can trust. And I can't really afford a second PSU.

I've also gotten rid of my GTX1080. Someone wanted to buy it to see if he could do anything useful with it, and I just wanted to be done with it. All that's left is to get a third one, but I'd rather know that my PSU won't destroy that one as well.

Last edited: