Did Memtest and Windows Mem Diagnostic, no errors, but still getting....

ViRaLRuSh

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2002
Errors such as Memory could not be "read", which is a critical error. I get this with such programs as MyIE2 and flashpeak slimbrowser. My regular IE works just fine. Anyone know what can be causing this or how i can fix it without reformatting my HD?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
What speed are you running your FSB and memory at? What CAS setting are you using for the ram, and what is the ram rated for?

Are you overclocking at all?

It could be any number of things...possibly, a reformat is in order. Sometimes after months of adding/deleting programs, the .dll situation gets out of hand and there's no other choice.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
What speed are you running your FSB and memory at? What CAS setting are you using for the ram, and what is the ram rated for?

Are you overclocking at all?

It could be any number of things...possibly, a reformat is in order. Sometimes after months of adding/deleting programs, the .dll situation gets out of hand and there's no other choice.

a) memtest runs fine ? for how long ?

b) if memtest checks out ok, next step is...run prime95 in torture mode.
If this runs for a while (hour or so) without a hitch and memtest runs fine....then i MIGHT strongly suggest it's a software error...

Although...there are weird combinations where you know the hardware is fine (prime95 no errors, memtest no errors)...but it could be a bios setting which does not work with *certain* programs. Eg. if i tweak my memory all up in the bios (lowest values, 1T, 1CMD etc.) everything runs fine incl memtest and prime, but SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth test always crashes my machine....UNTIL i set the memory CMD rate in bios from 1T to 2T (2CMD)....

You might test with similiar settings in your bios, eg. CAS latency etc...start on the safe site...

If problems still persist...consider re-install of Windows. However, this would be the last ressort in my opinion. Also, check that you have the latest drivers, service packs, bios etc. for your sys

StraightPipe

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2003
does it give a mem address to? the comps at work get the same thing all the time, when trying to access the database on the network. i dont think it really means that the RAM has a problem.

ViRaLRuSh

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2002
It gives a mem address too yes, all the time.

I have never once messed with the settings of the RAM, it runs at 266 like it should. It ran fine up until maybe 3 weeks ago when I kept installing different video cards and was deleting driver after driver. So perhaps i may have to reformat I take it?