Question Did I kill my Motherboard?

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Today I added a temperature sensor to my system. It was powered by the 4 pin molex strait from the PSU. The pass-through went to a case fan. The system ran fine for maybe 15 seconds then shut down. Now it wont start. The motherboard LEDs work and the USB keyboard light up. I swapped the PSU and the results were the same. I put a motherboard bypass plug on the PSU and the PSU fan and water pump started running.

I'm running out of things to test and I'm guessing the problem is the motherboard. I'm not sure how the sensor could have shorted the MB when it was only connected to the PSU molex but I suppose it's possible. The Motherboard is a ASROCK X370 Killer SLI/ac with 2600X.

If I need to replace the motherboard I can get a MSI B450 Tomahawk tomorrow.

UsandThem

Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
What was the sensor you used?

Maybe it was just a coincidence that something happened after 15 minutes?

UsandThem

Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Sorry, I knew you said 15 seconds, but it was late and my fingers were ready for bed. :p

If it was the sensor that caused the problem, my only guess would be that caused some sort of short / loop through the PSU. You likely would only be able to see this if you were good at electrical stuff, and opened up the unit to see how it was built / tested its voltages with a multimeter to inspect it.

Outside of that, you can unplug the PC from power, clear its CMOS to see if maybe it had some type of surge protection, and see if it will boot. Other than that, there's always the possibility it was an odd coincidence.

On a side note, that item you linked to has no reviews. The only seller has it for $5.70, only has 10 ratings, with a 70% rating. One of the bad reviews calls whatever they bought "junk", while another person bought an item that they want a replacement for a very "unique" item, and to make sure "current is going to the metal points". It sounds like they do not sell quality items, so it could be what you bought was junk, and sometimes it can be dangerous / destructive. :eek:

5.jpg

Last edited:

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Well I ended up making so many changes that I can't know for certain if it was the motherboard but it most likely was. I also lost a Seagate SSD. Now I just need to ignore the idiot voice in my head that's telling me to plug the sensor in again to see what happens.

UsandThem

Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Well I ended up making so many changes that I can't know for certain if it was the motherboard but it most likely was. I also lost a Seagate SSD. Now I just need to ignore the idiot voice in my head that's telling me to plug the sensor in again to see what happens.
I wouldn't personally connect anything to my PC sold by a seller who also sells.........questionable quality electric "male appendage" rings. :p

Seriously, click on that seller and click to see what items they also sell. Let me tell you that they sell way more than just the previously mentioned ring. :eek:

I guess if you do decide to connect it to the PC again, just make sure you are OK with potentially damaging / destroying what is connected.

ASK THE COMMUNITY