Did I damage my PC?

kim jake

Oct 26, 2012
Today after walking on carpet i received a static shock from the right panel of my computer case (outside case) The spark happened when i touched the side panel of my Case(to open the case) and Im a bit uneasy. Everything is working fine but can i damage my pc if i get a shock from the Case(Not inside the case)?
What are some symptoms of static on the case? Im worried the most about my motherboard

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If the third lug of the AC wall connector is connected, the metal case should ground the static charge.

The third lug isn't grounded in some buildings, especially older buildings that also have old two lug recepticals, but even so, you may still be OK.

Any damage done should show up immediately, whether it's the motherboard, the vid card, the PSU, and if something is fried, it's fried so the best way to find out is to boot up, and check out the usual things you do with it. If everything appears to be working, it probably is.

The only other possible damage could be to your drives, or just some data on them so you might want to run CHKDSK on your mechanical drives. I don't know how shockproof SSD's are.

kim jake

Oct 26, 2012
My new problem is that my annoying cousin likes to play in my room. She's 10. The prob is that she get really close to my pc and sometimes accidentally touch or kick while not being grounded. I'm afraid that she will damage it someday. Can anything wrong happen? My pc is a new built and I want to use it for a long time. I worry about my mobo

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
they sale tower cover static free.put that over for your annoying cousin.or put the annoying cousin in the closet.

AraB.

Nov 22, 2012
www.balian.org
I'm sure that nothing happens to the computer, cause the excess current passed through your body and not through the pc...

Wear shoes next time, and don't stay bare-footed. :p

Hope my comment helped!! ;)

-Ara

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Wear shoes next time, and don't stay bare-footed. :p

That's not going to make a bit of difference... static electricity is static electricity if you have shoes on or not. Unless, of course, you have a high concentrate of Carbon embedded in the soles of your shoes and you have a static dissipative floor which is grounded to the earth somehow...