Did Godfather II killed my 8800GTS ?

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
Hi all ,

I was watching Godfather II this morning , suddenly the colors on my screen went all fuzzy and it was stuck , after rebooting I found that colors were 4-bit/8-bit and my resolution was restricted to 640x480 coupled with permanent artificats. I tried reinstalling the drivers but no use . I think my graphics card has died i guess . Any ideas , suggestions around this ?

Thanks in advance

P.S : This is my first post in 3-4 years :)

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Hi all ,

I was watching Godfather II this morning , suddenly the colors on my screen went all fuzzy and it was stuck , after rebooting I found that colors were 4-bit/8-bit and my resolution was restricted to 640x480 coupled with permanent artificats. I tried reinstalling the drivers but no use . I think my graphics card has died i guess . Any ideas , suggestions around this ?

Thanks in advance

Unless your GPU was infringing on the Corleone families ability to conduct illegal gambling in Las Vegas, I don't think Michael placed a hit on your GPU.

It does sound like something bad happened though. I'm surprised its displaying anything at all. In my experience when a GPU goes bad theres no video at all.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
sounds more like corrupted drivers. reinstall the video drivers. And pray that nobody in the "family" really has it out for your gpu...

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for your replies :) I think the families are mistaken , its a case of mistaken identity .

I tried reinstalling the drivers . Uninstalled them completely , but still the display showed the same artifacts . Installed them again , same issue unfortunately .

Any systematic approach to see whats wrong here and what can be done ?

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
Some of artifacts even show up when the booting screen (A starfighter , I have a MSI P6N-SLI Platinum) shows up .

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Thanks for your replies :) I think the families are mistaken , its a case of mistaken identity .

I tried reinstalling the drivers . Uninstalled them completely , but still the display showed the same artifacts . Installed them again , same issue unfortunately .

Any systematic approach to see whats wrong here and what can be done ?

The 8800's are prone to failure. I'd read up on sticking it in a conventional oven for about eight to ten minutes as a fix, I hear it works for a lot of people who have trouble with that card, but if that does not work RMA or replace it.

bleucharm28

Sep 27, 2008
Looks like the Godfather wanted to make you an offer that you can't (shouldn't)refuse. :D

I give my condolences to your 8800GTS.

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
The 8800's are prone to failure. I'd read up on sticking it in a conventional oven for about eight to ten minutes as a fix, I hear it works for a lot of people who have trouble with that card, but if that does not work RMA or replace it.

You must be kidding me ! In an oven ?

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
I ran GPU-Z on my computer and it reports 0 frequency for all three clocks and the temperature was 70c .
Apart from it once or twice when I rebooted the system I found the colors and resolution were back to normal but the frequencies were 0 again and temperature was around 50c , after while the screen would get stuck and it was back to all 8-bit again!

Starcrosser

Mar 27, 2011
I baked a 8800 GTX back to life. Baked a GTX 280, too. Still have to rebake the 280, but the initial low-heat bake was successful, so I'm pretty certain the high-heat bake will permanently fix it.

Basically, you can stick your card in the oven at like 120 degrees C for 10 minutes, let it cool, and then see if it'll work in your computer. If it does, then you can remove the cover, the grease, etc., and bake the card at 185 C for 5 minutes. Nvidia cards are plagued by solder problems that are remedied like this.

Here is a thread regarding the procedure, read it carefully, so that you understand the risks and what may happen if you mess up. A low-heat bake expands the solder to get it to work for a while, but won't melt it, so it may only work temporarily. It is less risky, as 120 C isn't enough heat to melt the materials typically used in the heatsink or fan. A low-heat bake may not work at all, while a high-heat bake will work; however, both cards that I've baked worked for a short time after the low-heat bake letting me know that a high-heat bake would be an intelligent way to permanently fix the solder.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CLOSELY AND THINK INTELLIGENTLY BEFORE BAKING, PLEASE. You take a chance of capacitors coming off, melting plastic, melting LEDs, etc. It has however worked for a lot of people. :)

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
There is no permanent fix for it, but "baking" often reflows the solder so it works for a while. If it does work, start planning/saving for a new card ASAP. It's only a temporary fix. It doesn't replace the poorly spec'd materials that were used in the first place.

Starcrosser

Mar 27, 2011
People have had cards work for quite a while, I believe, and I was using permanent as a relative term to the 4 hours that the card lasts when you simply expand the solder. Hell, if you think about it, even atoms decay. Can always re-bake, too.

Last edited:

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
Well that's what I have heard too , that Nvidia is bad with PCB soldering and is the culprit behind this .

I would agree with 3DVagabond that I should start looking for a new card.

Thanks for the suggestions and links Starcrosser , this means i should give it a try on weekend , in the mean time I would really like to know less-risky options :)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
People have had cards work for quite a while, I believe, and I was using permanent as a relative term to the 4 hours that the card lasts when you simply expand the solder. Hell, if you think about it, even atoms decay. Can always re-bake, too.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I knew you didn't mean "forever". FWIU though, it's typically a couple of weeks to a couple of months that the fix lasts. That's why I was saying not "permanent".

Definitely worth trying though. I'd try a second or third too. :)

velis

Jul 28, 2005
This is exactly the way I saw two 8800GTSs die before. See your nearest retailer for remedy.
I'm serious even if I didn't write it so...

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
So there is no POST ? Try it on a different machine.

BTW was your room hot when you were watching GF2.

If you can go to safe mode, u can uninsatll the drivers, reboot then install latest WHQL ... let us know...

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Definitely sounds like a hardware failure. I'd look up the baking method as mentioned and give it a shot. If it doesn't, you'll need to get a new video card. Should probably look for a replacement anyway.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Hi all ,

Thanks in advance

Your video card sleeps with the fishes....

Have you checked the card itself - I had a fan on a 6800 break and the card died on me mid-game; a victim of overheating.

Quick inspection of the card revealed two of the fan blades had broken off, jamming the fan....

Your description matches what happened to me - so imagine years later when I'm playing Batman:AA and that certain level appears.

My first thought - oh shit, not again!;)