Did anyone take advantage of Canon's liquidation sale on DSLRs?

Nov 20, 2009
Earlier in the year Canon announced it was going strictly mirrorless. With that said, most of the big name DSLR suppliers sold the Canon 5dMkIV at hald the cost and ran out of stock quickly. I managed to score a 5dS-R for $1500 from B&H but I would much rather of had the MkIV. I see Canon's own shop still has inventory of the MkIV but they are asking way too much for it, IMO.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Didn't know they were going strictly mirrorless. I bought a refurbed EOS R after the holiday sales but I think I still got a decent price. It's a bit of a learning curve coming from an 80d. I'm still using EF/S lenses, can't afford an R lens right now, but looking at trying to get the 70-200L soon.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
canon isn't going to develop any more SLR lenses, but i doubt they've developed their last SLR. there's still several layers of rebel that the new 32 mpix sensor can filter down to.

depending on what nikon's D7 does canon might get back into the SLR game. a D7 with a hybrid viewfinder would be something canon might have to take a hard look at.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Pretty sure their older formats have way more lenses overall but from what I gather on DPR their newer lenses for their new mirrorless mount are typically higher quality. Same for Nikon from what I've read their new Z mount lenses are fantastic. They all have adapters to use their older lenses too which work pretty well from what I've heard. I haven't tried any myself as the cameras I have (fuji and oly) didn't have a backlog of compatible lenses for their mirrorless line as far as I know, adapters seem to make more sense if you already have a lot of old lenses and don't want to replace them yet.

Nov 20, 2009
When I bought my Sigma 28-105 Art lens, nothing by Canon or Nikon could touch it in quality. I think it was compared to the equivalent Otis product which cost 10x as much. When that Sigma Art lens got released, there was a run on the market for it. I remember Amazon having to go buy it from a 3rd party to meet their own customer demands (thanks, Amazon!). So, this was the first time I had experienced such an unreal state of things in that there was at least one entity out there doing better work than the natives and for a comparable if not less price. You keep your stink Canon L and I'll smile down at you from my Sigma Art. Okay, that was a bit elitest, wasn't it? :p

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
My local dealer tells me the 1DX series prices are actually going to go higher once the R3 hits the shelves in a couple of weeks because the X's are only going to be built on a per demand basis with a wait period involved. While I'm debating holding out for the R1 to be released to see what happens with the X and R3 model prices, I may even consider getting the latest 5D as a backup if the price point drops enough.

Going to be interesting to see what happens to the EF lens prices when the RF series gets more popular.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Going to be interesting to see what happens to the EF lens prices when the RF series gets more popular.

I've been keeping an eye on EF prices and they really haven't budged too much. I'm still looking for a canon 70-200 ef and can't justify the cost (to my wife lol) and the RF L's are just crazy out of my reach. Been looking at used lately, and also thinking about going with the Sigma Sports lens instead.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i want that refurb EF 70-300 v3 but it's never in stock on canon's site

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
i want that refurb EF 70-300 v3 but it's never in stock on canon's site

Been wanting one myself but decided to pull the trigger on a 100L Macro IS that I've been craving for since like forever. The 70-300 will have to wait until the wifey gives me the all clear downrange. I will get it as it's next on the wish list, although the R3 I've already been OK'd to splurge on and have managed to save up for since I first heard about it a long....make that an excruciatingly long time ago cut in line ahead of the 70-300.