Did anyone see that Iranian woman on PrimeTime who said that...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Vespasian
most Iranians want the U.S. to do in Iran what they did in Afghanistan? My mouth hit the floor when she said that. She's one brave woman. I hope she wasn't arrested.

She said what most Iranians think. But it's kind of hard to rally against the leaders who control armies now isn't it? If we were to do something in Iran though, all the other Middle Eastern countries would be sh!tting bricks. The citizens of their repressive regimes will get to see up close and personal how crappy their own lives are and they too might want a change...

we started the last social revolution in iran, maybe its time for another one?

If you mean stick our noses into the internal affairs of the country, too late -- we have and are actively doing that already. Any government change in Iran needs to come from the Iranian peoples. The US can't go around and systematically determine every government structure.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
Iran is an interesting place. The people are actually quite friendly and open. They don't hate the West, Western ideals, or Americans for that matter in general. You can see that by how friendly most Iranians are towards western tourists of which there are some, the loud rap music blasting out of riced out Hyundais, Hondas, and BMW's in Tehran, etc. etc. This is not to say that there are not people there who hate us. You have to realize that the Islamic Revolution in Iran came about due to a series of events beginning with the Shah of Iran coming to power in a coup supported by the US. The Shah then went about consolidating his power with American money and weapons and assistance from the Israeli Mossad in training his feared secret police the Savak. People would dissappear be tortured, killed, and otherwise brutally repressed on a regular basis.

The Taliban were horrific in thier forcing of religion on the populace, but the Shah tried to focibly srtip away the peoples religion and customs. You could be arrested and tortured for wearing Islamic dress in the Shah's Iran. I don't find that to be any different from the current government where people are hauled in and spend the night in jail for wearing makeup. The Shah was also working on raiding the country's treasury and skimming profits from the oil trade while doing little for his people. The US supported him in this as we saw him as a bulwark against Nasser, Assad, etc. who were in tight with the Soviets. Eventually the people had had enough and they had the revolution which we are all familiar with. They did have good reason to hate us, we helped impose a dictatorship on them. A lot of people think that the people of Iran one day just woke up and decided to hate us, because we are free or Western or some crap like that. THAT IS TOTAL BS. There is a lot of complicated history at work here which we should all try and remember.

I think that the time is coming for another revolution in Iran. Iran has a very very young restless population who are clamoring for more, freedoms, opportunities and change in general. The elected government of Khatami is in a struggle for power with the Religious leaders who hold power over the courts, military, and security services. The reformers had the upper hand until the whole Axis of Evil speech which seriously undermined their credibility. The United States should take actions designed to strengthen the reformers. I don't think a military soultion is in order as it was in Afghanistan, but rather a full court diplomatic, political, economic, and cultural effort to encourage the second revolution in Iran.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't see her, but I always had a thing for persian girls. There's an area they hang out at @ UCLA (between Kerckhoff and Moore) damn dude! Hot girls, and they were always dressed really nice.

True that, I think I saw more hot girls in one day in Tehran than I've seen in a year in Seattle. Not only were they hot, but they were dressed like models....grrrrrour

BTW check out pictures of my trip in the portfolio link below

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by: novon
I didn't see her, but I always had a thing for persian girls. There's an area they hang out at @ UCLA (between Kerckhoff and Moore) damn dude! Hot girls, and they were always dressed really nice.

True that, I think I saw more hot girls in one day in Tehran than I've seen in a year in Seattle. Not only were they hot, but they were dressed like models....grrrrrour

BTW check out pictures of my trip in the portfolio link below

Those are great pictures. You have a real talent.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
very nicely said justint.

I also read that Iraq was a very open and advanced society (one of the more open nations in the Middle East) before Saddam took over.