Did anyone not watch the inauguration today?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Some of us had to work to pay for all the shit this asshat is promising everyone.

Too bad you missed it; he was calling for sacrifice and national unity.
Last time I calculated, 63% of my income ends up in a tax coffer of one type or another. Isn't that enough?
:roll:
I'd like to see that calculation.
Federal income tax + Retirement tax + medicaid tax + State income tax + city income tax + personal property tax + fuel tax + sales tax + federal excise tax + all the other little taxes on utility biils.

My Federal, State, and retirement/medicaid tax obligations alone exceed 50% of my income.

you're doing it wrong.

yeah he's not cheating on his taxes like obama's choice for the treasury secretary

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: sactoking

It was after 10:00 at night and I was in bed. My bedroom doesn't have a DVR. I wasn't about to stay up in the living room since I have to wake up early what with a 2 hour commute round-trip, a 9 hour workday, and 2 hours of grad school each and every night. Like I said some of us have things to DO and setting aside time to watch a ceremony don't take a very high priority, no matter what it's for or who's involved.

It just sounds bizarre to claim you were too busy to watch one of the most historically significant events of our lifetime when you had time to watch 2 hours of TV, including an hour of DVR'ed programs. If you chose not to watch, hey, that's your prerogative, but it isn't because you were too busy.

What time was the inauguration? Noon, EST. Where was I? In meetings. It was 9am for me. I was in meetings for the next 8 hours, then 2 hours of school, and a 1 hour commute. When I got home at 8:00 PST (when, you know, pretty much everything to do with the inauguration was DONE) I had enough time to eat dinner, pay bills, study for the IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer exam, do my first night's reading, and go to bed. During that time, my wife switched on the DVR shows (since she had been watching The City or some other garbage) and I watched the Travel Channel in bed, and didn't finish the show before I fell asleep sometime after 10:00 PST. Yes, I was too busy.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

It was after 10:00 at night and I was in bed. My bedroom doesn't have a DVR. I wasn't about to stay up in the living room since I have to wake up early what with a 2 hour commute round-trip, a 9 hour workday, and 2 hours of grad school each and every night. Like I said some of us have things to DO and setting aside time to watch a ceremony don't take a very high priority, no matter what it's for or who's involved.

It just sounds bizarre to claim you were too busy to watch one of the most historically significant events of our lifetime when you had time to watch 2 hours of TV, including an hour of DVR'ed programs. If you chose not to watch, hey, that's your prerogative, but it isn't because you were too busy.

What time was the inauguration? Noon, EST. Where was I? In meetings. It was 9am for me. I was in meetings for the next 8 hours, then 2 hours of school, and a 1 hour commute. When I got home at 8:00 PST (when, you know, pretty much everything to do with the inauguration was DONE) I had enough time to eat dinner, pay bills, study for the IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer exam, do my first night's reading, and go to bed. During that time, my wife switched on the DVR shows (since she had been watching The City or some other garbage) and I watched the Travel Channel in bed, and didn't finish the show before I fell asleep sometime after 10:00 PST. Yes, I was too busy.

If you worked harder you could afford a DVR in your bedroom. :p

Or you could man up tell your wife you're going to watch the historic swearing in and speech you recorded which would take maybe 20 minutes and she has the rest of the year to watch The City.

Or you could just go on the internet and try to impress people with how important and busy you are. But apparently not too important and busy to hang out on internet message boards.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I didn't watch it. I couldn't care less about watching a man get sworn into office or any of the other hoopla surrounding it. I'll start noticing we have a new President the moment I see something different than what I've had for the last 8 years.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp
Well, I don't see how you could NOT watch it, unless you missed the news local national fox whatever it seemed EVERYTHING took a break and streamed, printed and broadcasted it.

But don't worry OP, unless you want to crawl under a rock or tune out from society for entire week your gonna see it.

Good Luck NOT watching it. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if we see this crap being broadcasted for the next month!

Well it is the end of wed and I still haven't seen it, heard a few talking heads discuss it on the radio but other than that nada...I dvr all of my television so I don't have to see anything other than what I want...plus I don't watch the news.

As for when it took place, they piped it into a room at my company, but A. my department is bare bones and I actually have to work, and 2. not interested in seeing a flagrant waste of taxpayer money.

goshdarnindie

May 6, 2001
I expected I wouldn't hear anything that wasn't already said for the last two years, and from what people are telling me, I was right.