Did afterburner oc scanner break my pc? Help

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
Rtx 2070 super, 3600, x570 aorus elite, 2x8gb, 650 watt psu. Windows 10.

Ran msi afterburner oc scanner earlier today. During the scan the screen went black. Pc stayed on. I rebooted and no signal is being recieved by the monitor. Tried pulling the battery from the mobo, tried my old gtx 970 and same problem. Monitor power light turns blue then goes red and monitor reads no signal. Repeats like 3 times and then stays red.

I'm lost as to what to do next. The gpu is 4 days old, the other components are 4 months old minus the psu and hdd which are 5 years old.

Would be very grateful for any advice. Wish I hadn't messed with oc scanner!

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I have not but I'll Google a how to and give it a shot.

There is a jumper on the motherboard - just turn off the power, put a jumper across the pins, remove the jumper, and re-apply the power. Do not leave the jumper there! Location is shown below.

1585519081015.png

Now, that said, I've read accounts of this particular motherboard spending an inordinate amount of time memory training (sometimes 30 to 60 minutes). After you reset the CMOS and re-power the system, let it sit for a while (especially if your DRAM is not on the motherboad QVL list).

If it still doesn't work, since it isn't working with another known-good video card, do you have a way to test the monitor independently just to ensure that it is itself working? It might not be a bad idea to swap the video card cable, and also to plug the monitor in to a different video output if you have one available?

If you haven't done so, unplug and re-plug all the motherboard power connectors (including both motherboard power connectors, 24 pin and 8 pin) and video card power connectors. If your PSU is modular, check both ends.

Finally, as a last resort, try moving the video card to the x4 slot on the motherboard. You also might try to remove a memory module as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marleysbeard

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
Have you tried clearing your CMOS by shorting the pins (make sure PC is disconnected from power first)?

Found the clear cmos in my mobo manual, used a paperclip and also tried a screwdriver. Holding for 20 seconds then plugged back in and got identical results as earlier, no display. How screwed am I? I don't have any other spare pc parts to try swapping out.

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
There is a jumper on the motherboard - just unplug the power, put a jumper across the pins, remove the jumper, and re-apply the power. Do not leave the jumper there! Location is shown below.

View attachment 18816

Since it isn't working with another known-good video card, do you have a way to test the monitor independently? It might not be a bad idea to swap the video card cable, and also to plug the monitor in to a different video output if you have one available?

If you haven't done so, unplug and re-plug all the motherboard and video card power connectors (if your PSU is modular, check both ends).

Finally, try moving the video card to a different slot on the motherboard, if one is available.

So I have no idea how or why but when I switched to HDMI I got my display working again. I'm still on the old card though so I guess I need to try HDMI with the new card and see if its working. Any idea why running Afterburner OC Scanner would cause my DisplayPort to stop working? The cable is actually brand new and was working fine before that black screen that happened while running OC Scanner.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
So, to be clear, the system is now working over HDMI?

If HDMI works on both video cards but Displayport dosen't, then it pretty likely the fault is with your monitor (the Displayport port may have died on the monitor end). It also wouldn't hurt to try another Displayport cable - it may be the new one was a dud (which can happen) and just stopped working.

Last edited:

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
So, the system now working over HDMI?

If HDMI works on both video cards but Displayport dosen't, then it pretty likely the fault is with your monitor (the Displayport port may have died on the monitor end). It also wouldn't hurt to try another Displayport cable - it may be the new one was a dud (which can happen) and just stoped working.

Yes I have the new card back in and it works fine over HDMI. I can exchange the displayport cable, I bought it at a local bestbuy and its within the 15 day return period.

So would this be totally unrelated to me running OC Scanner? Just a coincidence? I was worried that possibly my PSU being 5 years old couldn't handle the demand of the GPU while OC Scanner was increasing its clock, voltage, etc.

Edit: Should add the PSU does seem to be whining a bit although this could be a bearing in the fan or something? And possibly unrelated.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes I have the new card back in and it works fine over HDMI. I can exchange the displayport cable, I bought it at a local bestbuy and its within the 15 day return period.

So would this be totally unrelated to me running OC Scanner? Just a coincidence? I was worried that possibly my PSU being 5 years old couldn't handle the demand of the GPU while OC Scanner was increasing its clock, voltage, etc.
It could have just been an odd coincidence.

That said, I'm not a fan of auto overclocking utilities for graphic cards (for CPUs as well). They tend to go way too high with voltages and clocks, so if you want to overclock the component, it's best to do it manually (with small increases until you hit the limits, and then back it off some).

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
It could have just been an odd coincidence.

That said, I'm not a fan of auto overclocking utilities for graphic cards (for CPUs as well). They tend to go way too high with voltages and clocks, so if you want to overclock the component, it's best to do it manually (with small increases until you hit the limits, and then back it off some).

Yeah I certainly don't plan on trying anything like that again. I'll use afterburner to set the fan curve but that's it.

Reactions: UsandThem

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It may turn out that the problem is the port on the monitor and not the cable. However, the cable is easiest to check. The place I retired from had all sorts of monitors with blown ports of various types but which worked just fine with a different type of port.

Is your PSU a higher-end unit, or a cheaper one? If it was a cheaper one (being 5 years old), it might not be a bad idea to consider that as your next system upgrade project.

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
It may turn out that the problem is the port on the monitor and not the cable. However, the cable is easiest to check. The place I retired from had all sorts of monitors with blown ports of various types but which worked just fine with a different type of port.

Is your PSU a higher-end unit, or a cheaper one? If it was a cheaper one (being 5 years old), it might not be a bad idea to consider that as your next system upgrade project.

Its an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold. Probably low-mid grade I guess? I'll start looking for a replacement. Meanwhile I'll get a replacement displayport cable, hopefully wont need a new monitor.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Its an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold. Probably low-mid grade I guess? I'll start looking for a replacement. Meanwhile I'll get a replacement displayport cable, hopefully wont need a new monitor.

It was a 10 year warranty PSU when you bought it (if you registered it with EVGA as required under their ridiculous warranty rules), probably a Seasonic unit. As a result, I wouldn't get into a super big hurry to replace it just yet until you start seeing definite problems. The whining could actually be a coil whine on the new video card.

Even if the Displayport port on your monitor is dead, that doesn't mean the monitor will fail any time soon. Unless you have just got to have Displayport, you can always keep using it over HDMI.

Last edited:

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
It was a 10 year warranty PSU when you bought it (if you registered it with EVGA as required under their ridiculous warranty rules), probably a Seasonic unit. As a result, I wouldn't get into a super big hurry to replace it just yet until you start seeing definite problems. The whining could actually be a coil whine on the new video card.

Even if the Displayport port on your monitor is dead, that doesn't mean the monitor will fail any time soon. Unless you have just got to have Displayport, you can always keep using it over HDMI.

I have a 144hz monitor for gaming purposes and the HDMI limits it to 60hz.

In any case after doing more research I stumbled across an old thread that advised unplugging the monitor for a minute and trying again. Happy (and a bit confused) to report that it actually fixed whatever the problem was. So Displayport and everything else is operating normally again. Feel a bit foolish spending all day trying to fix it to find it was as simple as unplugging the monitor!

Appreciate you and Usandthem helping. I asked for help in 4 different forums and on reddit and this was the only one I got a response in. Thanks

Reactions: UsandThem