Dictator-In-Chief thinks police should not be militarized

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
omg police have an APC that the gov was going to mothball. how dare they try to use safe tactics when confronted by a society that is armed to the teeth.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just saw what Perknose said...so I will not become a part of this......drive on Perknose!!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
how dare they try to use safe tactics when confronted by a society that is armed to the teeth.

Have the protestors been armed? Even if they were it is their right to be armed, deal with it.

The police brought military equipment to a protest.

Who made the first threat?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Have the protestors been armed? Even if they were it is their right to be armed, deal with it.

The police brought military equipment to a protest.

Who made the first threat?

this is ferguson...north st louis county. the area is inherently threatning from the get go. id assume police brought in a tactical team from the get go because they already saw the situation going way south. add in taking random bullet fire....it makes perfect sense having an APC out there if u have one.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
omg police have an APC that the gov was going to mothball. how dare they try to use safe tactics when confronted by a society that is armed to the teeth.

False.

Please show me where this "armed to the teeth society" is confronting cops.

You should have evidence that police are being slaughtered by an army of assault rifle wielding citizens before making outlandish claims.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
this is ferguson...north st louis county. the area is inherently threatning from the get go. id assume police brought in a tactical team from the get go because they already saw the situation going way south. add in taking random bullet fire....it makes perfect sense having an APC out there if u have one.
Several reporters one from MSNBC and one from ABC news and another from CNN all commented that it appears as if the mere presence of the Police escalates what is happening around them...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally Posted by mizzou
How dare they use it against citizens who are responding to what the Police do...they Police are causing their own problems...

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Several reporters one from MSNBC and one from ABC news and another from CNN all commented that it appears as if the mere presence of the Police escalates what is happening around them...

we are in a pissing match because of vanity? what the fuck is this, a california reality tv show? So police now can incite a riot by not actually violating anyones rights?

this is a safety issue!

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
oh hey, lets make police wear pillows so that they seem more cuddly and also make it so they cant frown. frowning and wearing a uniform is too rigid and militaristic and leads to the possibility of goverment takeover

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
oh hey, lets make police wear pillows so that they seem more cuddly and also make it so they cant frown. frowning and wearing a uniform is too rigid and militaristic and leads to the possibility of goverment takeover

When you have no facts, resort to hyperbole?

Fail.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Riots are something else entirely when discussing police use of heavy equipment and military tactics. They are allowed to restore and keep the peace with force. They are failing to keep peace when they use SWAT to conduct raids on otherwise normal police business.

Special circumstances should not be confused for how police should deal with all circumstances. They need to be toned down, and the innocent Americans they harm or jeopardize need to be minimized. Currently they are out of line and are beyond what I find acceptable policy.

When the President speaks on this subject, I applaud him for doing right by the American people. I only wish he would do more, that we ALL would do more to restore a civil society. It is unbecoming of Americans when we throw flash bangs into baby cribs for no good reason.

We need to do better.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
we are in a pissing match because of vanity? what the fuck is this, a california reality tv show? So police now can incite a riot by not actually violating anyones rights?

this is a safety issue!
actually the police have violated quite a few peoples right in Ferguson...from arresting them for filming to asking for ID when you don`t need ID to walk around town.

Plus not to mention the right to protest peacefully........what would you do if you were a protestor who was black and all of a sudden 3 black men and the rest were white.... white police force showed up in riot gear and lobbed tear gas for no reason??

Yes...they were people who were looting and what not, but the majority of the protestors were civil and not causing problems...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
no facts? im making fun of the amount of criticism is thrown at cops for trying to pretect themselves

Protect themselves from what? Mean words? Hurt feelings?

At this point I'm trying to figure out of you're just trolling or truly this obtuse.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
no facts? im making fun of the amount of criticism is thrown at cops for trying to pretect themselves

Cops volunteered for that position.

They were not drafted, they were not forced to become a police officer.

Do not like being in the line of fire? Put down your badge and walk away.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The role of the police is to put their life on the line protect the citizens from harm. For some reason recently we have been sold a line that cops should be protected from harm at the cost of citizens lives.

That is what militarizing the police does. It makes them safer at the cost of making everything they do more dangerous to citizens.

The police already had the most powerful weapon they will likely ever need, a radio.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
These should work,... my bad.
Criminal organizations are decapitating people - NSFW https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ie=UTF-8#q=mexican+cartels+beheading&tbm=nws NSFW

Terrorists are strapping on body armor and firing off heavy arms while charging into city hall with explosives - http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/justice/georgia-courthouse-shooting/

Bombs are being made out of house hold items - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Marathon_bombings

Re-read this,...

I am not expecting military equipment to stop anything - thus my use of the words will happen.

When things go horribly bad, what is a short sleeved shirt and a handgun going to do against someone with explosives and an automatic rifle?

Only one of those situations needs military eq to combat. Did you think my argument was that cops should have to go against "against someone with explosives and an automatic rifle" in with a shirt and a handgun?

How often do those situations happen where they really really need that crap? I guarantee it's not anywhere near the 80,000+ times a SWAT raid is used in America every year. Especially when 1/2 of swat raids are for non-violent offenses. How can you argue that isn't over-militarization of cops and police-state-like?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Dictator-In-Chief thinks police should not be militarized

On this, I agree with him.

BTW: There are conservatives who also want the police demilitarized so there may be some bipartisan support.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If you ask me, and I have a little insight into it since I work for a governmental entity, I think the Hollywood bank robbery of a few years back really has pushed law enforcement agencies to acquire heavier gear. Those two ex Russian military bank robbers armed with heavy machine guns and body armor absolutely overpowered the police. If I remember correctly, the police had to go to a gun store to get rifles that were capable of penetrating the body armor that those guys were wearing......
-snip-

I remember that and, yes, also think it has had an influence on the militarization of the police.

Fern

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

Yes! Yes that's it! You finally understand what everyone is advocating and the solutions that will best bring that about! It takes a real man to admit he is wrong and join the other side. Kudos to you, sir. You walking logical fallacy.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Riots are something else entirely when discussing police use of heavy equipment and military tactics. They are allowed to restore and keep the peace with force. They are failing to keep peace when they use SWAT to conduct raids on otherwise normal police business.

Special circumstances should not be confused for how police should deal with all circumstances. They need to be toned down, and the innocent Americans they harm or jeopardize need to be minimized. Currently they are out of line and are beyond what I find acceptable policy.

When the President speaks on this subject, I applaud him for doing right by the American people. I only wish he would do more, that we ALL would do more to restore a civil society. It is unbecoming of Americans when we throw flash bangs into baby cribs for no good reason.

We need to do better.

This; you can talk about police needing extreme gear for extreme situations, but it's pretty clear we're at a point we're the pendulum is too far the other way and the police in general need to be toned down.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Having an APC is one thing. Having a police officer sitting atop it aiming a sniper rifle at the public is another thing entirely.

ferguson_police.jpg

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1452yvw5RA

Also what about the Bundy Ranch?
That is very disingenuous of you to post that video from 1997.......that does not justify every city having military weapons and Police decked out better than our own troops......

There will always be the occasional Bundy ranch scenario.....In cases like that the Police or feds can go borrow what they need to enter the compound....