Diamond 5870 PLEASE HELP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Asus Rampage II Extreme
920 @ 2.66 / 3.75oc
6GB OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 1T
XFX 5870 @ 850/1200 & 900/1275oc
WD Black 750

Vantage High presets stock

Vantage High presets w/oc

Slightly different config but should perform very similar with stock settings. As you can see, you're much lower. I can't imagine bios defaults are the issue with stock settings on cpu.

I wanted to show the awesome cpu boost with a safe OC. You obviously have to address the main issue; but you should really plan to oc that 920. You have a good mobo, just need a better cooler and well researched bios tweaks. Overclocking the card can be easy with CCC

Thoughts anyone? If he's running 3D clocks, what else can it be? Faulty?

ssmith232

Mar 24, 2009
Thank you agian Hauk, and I do plan on overclocking the card and CPU.

I just don't know what else to change. I mean I would think that if the card was faulty, then I would not be able to operate as much as I am.

I am begging for help here. Please anyone??

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Ur welcome. Have you ran any games? Curious about in game performance and temps in gpu-z afterwards. Other than temp related auto downclocking, can't think of anything. Maybe it's a dud that works half ass?

If you end up RMA'ing, call them instead of doing online. Stocking staus may hinder timely exchange if they make you stick with Diamond. I'd tell them you want whatever's in stock at time they receive it back, XFX, Asus, Sapphire, would be my top picks.

ssmith232

Mar 24, 2009
The only problem is that I bought the card from Fry's and I have already thrown out the packaging. I dont beleive they will take the card back without it. Now I feel like an idiot. So most likely I will have to go through diamond to do anything.

ssmith232

Mar 24, 2009
Oh and as for the games, I have ran pretty much all of the games I play including Oblivion and Crysis. Oblivion runs fine, although Crysis runs sluggish. I am surprised that it will run oblivion. Age of empires works okay, but the game itself has its own glithches.

ssmith232

Mar 24, 2009
It's fixed!!!! I have no clue how, it just started working. I will keep a close eye on the thing just to make sure, but I am glad its working. This thing is great when its functioning properly. The 5870 is no joke!

ssmith232

Mar 24, 2009
Very true, my only concern is that I have no idea what exactly fixed it. I am a very thorough individual.