Diablo3 Playable at Blizzcon (update: Blizzard announces Wizard Class

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Druids could turn into bears.

/thread

everyone played wolfie though :( at least on paper, the wolf got so many better buffs (IAS being the primary one)

Yep, wolfie was pretty awesome.

Why would you want to be a bear when you could have an assorted army of 20+ minions to do your bidding.
Oh yeah....
corpse explosion > *

I mean seriously, just say that out loud. Corpse-Explosion. What part of that isn't "hella balls to the walls awesome"?
You realize the druid had Armageddon, right? He CAN nuke the site from orbit.

Yeah it looks cool, but you have to put 20 points into it to get anything near 400 points of damage.
With CE even one point will get you 60~100% of the hit points of the monster you are exploding. Since some of that is fire damage, lower resist can push it even higher. Exploding corpses....say it with me now

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The only comment I'm going to make here is that the visuals of D3 should age better than D2, with its crappy 2D, low res graphics. D2 is hideous to the point where I can't bring myself to play for more than a few minutes. I've already seen all the cutscene videos, so no incentive there.

To my knowledge, there aren't any D2 mods for widescreen and higher resolutions like there are for BG, Torment, Fallout, Dues Ex, Oblivion, etc.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I played D3 yesterday at Blizzcon and I didn't have that much fun as a Barbarian to be honest =\. I didn't spend much time with talents because of limited game time (and I'd really like to read over them before ploppin' in points) and I really needed something to help with multiple mobs (which I saw a thing or two that could've helped). I think the health orbs need some work as I found some problems with those (especially with the Barbarian). But I don't want to go too far into it as I don't know how much I can say :eek:.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
I played D3 yesterday at Blizzcon and I didn't have that much fun as a Barbarian to be honest =\. I didn't spend much time with talents because of limited game time (and I'd really like to read over them before ploppin' in points) and I really needed something to help with multiple mobs (which I saw a thing or two that could've helped). I think the health orbs need some work as I found some problems with those (especially with the Barbarian). But I don't want to go too far into it as I don't know how much I can say :eek:.

Did you have to sign a NDA?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I believe the tickets essentially came with one, but I can't remember since I'm not the one that bought them (my brother was chosen via the lottery, not me). Although, the idea of an NDA on this would be awkward when you can see gameplay videos online that pretty much show you just about everything that I've seen. Also, the new Wizard video shows pretty much everything that I think you'd see if you were playing one at Blizzcon (I didn't play one so I can't be sure... I probably should've tried one though).

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Druids could turn into bears.

/thread

everyone played wolfie though :( at least on paper, the wolf got so many better buffs (IAS being the primary one)

my first druid was a wolf - since then every druid i've made has been wind. my fav class by far.

speaking of which, i found my LOD cd, who wants to play sometime? :)

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: BudAshes
so how do i get into the beta?

None yet. And I wouldn't expect anything about a Diablo 3 beta until 2010 at the earliest. And that would be an under-estimation.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
The only comment I'm going to make here is that the visuals of D3 should age better than D2, with its crappy 2D, low res graphics. D2 is hideous to the point where I can't bring myself to play for more than a few minutes. I've already seen all the cutscene videos, so no incentive there.

To my knowledge, there aren't any D2 mods for widescreen and higher resolutions like there are for BG, Torment, Fallout, Dues Ex, Oblivion, etc.

Should is a big word. In all of the gameplay videos it look's terrible imo. Most of the textures lack detail (look at the wizard gameplay when you see the demon things getting closer they look like playstation style polygon characters) and the world environment look's more like an oil painting. Just seems way too cartoonish, when diablo should be more dark and grungy. If you ask me they should up the game requirements a bit so we can have a bit more eyecandy and detail (no, I'm not asking for crysis here).

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I played D3 at blizzcon and it was totally awesome. The gameplay was just so smooth and refined, a huge huge improvement over D2. I'm sure Blizz still has to work on the levels and remaining classes, but the core game engine seemed to be in tip-top shape already.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I played D3 at blizzcon and it was totally awesome. The gameplay was just so smooth and refined, a huge huge improvement over D2. I'm sure Blizz still has to work on the levels and remaining classes, but the core game engine seemed to be in tip-top shape already.

Yeah, it looked pretty sweet overall. It seems talking about it is also not an issue since there are posts about it on the Diablo III sub-forum (that's on the WoW forums :p).

My biggest annoyance was the health orbs. There were a couple places in the catacombs where a huge group of mobs just happened to be, well my Barbarian sucked at fighting those large groups. I had no multi-mob attack and really had little time to me perusing the talents to find more (although I do recall seeing one that gave me a chance to have my attack hit a nearby mob). So now, I have to be up, close and personal to about 15 mobs and one of them so nicely drops a health orb. The problem is, some stupid mob just comes right up like its now his turn in line and stands on the health orb... because of this, I couldn't get it.

I probably should've went back in line to try another class out... just didn't like the Barbarian too much. One comment my brother made about it is how he played with two casters (can't remember what the two were) and he couldn't really ever get up to the mobs before they were killed. I didn't see that iconic Heroic Leap ability from the videos anywhere, but it's probably some talent. I really coulda used it myself :p.

EDIT:

Also to add, quest accepting was really annoying as well. I'd talk to a guy who had a quest for me (as noted by the !) and he just started talking and talking. I got tired of listening to him blab on as it looked like he really had nothing for me, so I pressed on. I fought a couple packs of zombies and got to a village when a quest just popped up. It seemed there was some sort of delay between talking to this guy and it'd finally just give me the quest.

I prefer how WoW handles quests better.