Diablo III requires constant internet connection

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004
Probably shortly before Half Life 3 :D

This year seems too early, early next year might have a window but it wouldn't be a great time to put it out after the holidays and as the year wears on it'll get closer and closer to the the likely release of the next WoW expansion, as Cata was released Dec 2010 and they're on an 18-20 month cycle it seems. Actually, maybe late spring/early summer 2012 would be a good fit if they can complete it by then, but they also wouldn't want it conflicting with the next SC installment which I would think has to be coming down the pipe in the near future as well.

Get your facts straight; Blizzard has said that they are really shooting for this holiday season.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Um, your math is quite a bit off.. I count at least 6140 dollars in paid sub fees just from my 4 accounts since beta.. 15.99 X12 x8 = 1535 dollars PER account per 8 years.. multiply that x4..
that doesn't count my GFs 2 accounts or her sons 2. so actually I'm over 12k.. on subs alone..
WoW has been out since 2004.. and I cancelled all accounts this year..

All were ALL CEs and that doesn't count SC D1 D2 Warcrafts etc etc etc..
Dont tell me what I have or have not spent..

Not to mention all the products Ive bought since then.. each CE was 100.. I bought every 1 x4

then you have special pets and mounts from the site each of those is 10-25 bucks each..add that to 8 accounts..

please.. makes me sick even thinking about how much cash I've spent on WoW alone since launch..

Lol that is disgusting. 4 accounts? No sane person needs that many.

You'll spend 12k on WoW then bitch about having to have internet for D3? You make no sense.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
D3 = WoW? = MMO?

I dont think so

I paid for an MMO which I knew what I getting into..

but again this is NOT an MMO nor has ANY of the previous Diablos required you to be tied to the internet or logged in to play..

why is this so hard for you morons to understand..
There are those of us that DO NOT want to be tied to a internet connection to play a single player enabled game..

If you do that's fine and dandy but why is it suddenly OK with the consumer to force that on us that dont want it.. we would be paying for the same product..
why cannot we use our software OFFLINE and in remote areas..
and as evidenced by this thread even on this TINY little segment of gamers that come to AT that there is a demand and a want to NOT be tied to the internet to game.

You know what you are getting into now. You make no sense at all.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
CVSiN, no one forced you to spend all of that money.

i never said they did..
I gladly paid it and will pay EA that kind of cash for TOR with no regrets as well.

the debate is why when they feel the need to try to make a half ass MMO out of D3 and require constant on internet..

Money is not an issue I have money..
the issue is do i want to give any more of my money if a company is going to force me hand like this.

Diablo was something I was looking forward to.. to play while traveling when I do not have my connections to play my MMOs which are my main games that I play.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
i never said they did..
I gladly paid it and will pay EA that kind of cash for TOR with no regrets as well.

the debate is why when they feel the need to try to make a half ass MMO out of D3 and require constant on internet..

Money is not an issue I have money..
the issue is do i want to give any more of my money if a company is going to force me hand like this.

Diablo was something I was looking forward to.. to play while traveling when I do not have my connections to play my MMOs which are my main games that I play.

So just treat it as an MMO and find a different game to fill that void.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You said you're over 40 right? I'd take it up with your congressman. Something tells me complaining about it on an internet forum for 20 pages isn't going to get you very far.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
These types of choices by devs/pubs are just another example of their poor & short-sighted decisions that will come back to hurt them eventually. Forcing online makes the game useless if your internet goes down or, more commonly, their servers drop. And some hacker out there will make their servers drop soon after launch just to make a point.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
i never said they did..

I dont know about you, but the last thing I want to do when traveling is to waste my time on a computer game...

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
I dont know about you, but the last thing I want to do when traveling is to waste my time on a computer game...

Sorry but this is for work.. sitting in a crappy hotel room with 5 cable channels with nothing but tumbleweeds and coyotes around isn't exactly conducive to site seeing..
this is work not pleasure.
So yes me and the rest of the plant IT team we game ALOT.

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004
Sorry but this is for work.. sitting in a crappy hotel room with 5 cable channels with nothing but tumbleweeds and coyotes around isn't exactly conducive to site seeing..
this is work not pleasure.
So yes me and the rest of the plant IT team we game ALOT.

Get a cell phone with tethering. The speeds are good enough for most gaming.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I never botted or was even into that scene in diablo 2, so I am legitimately curious about this: could the bots run through the hardest content in the game, or were the bots unable to handle anything serious and merely used to run through easier content that would be trivial for the given character?

I ask this because it is the second case in World of Warcraft- you have bots farming basic non-elite mobs and they make a fair amount of gold, but it's really not a huge economic impact because the real stuff comes from content that the bots can't handle (raids mostly).

I'd suspect if diablo 3 suffers from bots at all it'll be more like world of warcraft- the bots will farm easy content, while the hardest content which requires actual thought and coordination would be impossible for bots to handle. I don't think the economic effect will be too bad. Put into your example, while the bot might be able to farm blood rhinos for 24 hours and make some gold, you could get more real profit just from doing a 2 hour raid in the temple of zog and pick up a few epic raid mats & boe epics.

Also: requiring online play means you can't safely bot 24/7, as any time you bot you risk detection.

I botted in D2 mostly to practice my programming. With good enough equipment it could handle high level boss runs on hell difficulty with no issues whatsoever.

Thats why im so against it.

Dupping is a bigger issue, sure ill give you that but discounting bots now that there is a ingame AH is just plain stupid.

It WILL kill the ingame economy.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Get a cell phone with tethering. The speeds are good enough for most gaming.

sadly some of us travel to places where you cant even do that because cell service is that bad/ calls work but data rarely does

also if you travel out of the country LOL at getting that to work or even getting wifi at your hotel

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sadly some of us travel to places where you cant even do that because cell service is that bad/ calls work but data rarely does

also if you travel out of the country LOL at getting that to work or even getting wifi at your hotel

yeah i find it amazing how many people never leave the city.