Diablo III hacks released...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I dont think that is correct. HoN maps are all server side, your pc doesnt know where anything is until that information is sent to it from their servers. AFAIK, map hacks are not possible in HoN. You have proof?

It might be possible to prod the server into giving you information you otherwise shouldn't have. Granted, I haven't messed around with poking their servers with different packets, but if it's all server-side and there's map hacks that would be my first guess to their method.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Diablo 3 is going to be the most interesting gaming experiment in quite a while...
No other game has ever been as effectively tied to real cash as this one will be. I hope Blizzard can keep control over the cheaters, and with the success of WoW I expect that they will. If they dont, there will be people who make millions off of this game...

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Diablo 3 is going to be the most interesting gaming experiment in quite a while...
No other game has ever been as effectively tied to real cash as this one will be. I hope Blizzard can keep control over the cheaters, and with the success of WoW I expect that they will. If they dont, there will be people who make millions off of this game...

There's a game called I think entropia online and it's in game currency is directly exchangable with most real world currencies

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Well there's alot of incentive to hack and cheat now since Blizzard has tied real money into the Auction house. For those that play single player, this won't affect you since it only affects those who participate in the online economy, pvp (even though it got taken out), and those that will coop with other players.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
All those who hack want control over their games when they can't have control over their lives. They do it because they derive pleasure from it or are just idiots. Of course we care because then they do it in multiplayer which affects those who don't have these issues...

Or maybe some people just want to cut to the chase and enjoy the game rather than waste hours dealing with aggravating stupid human pet tricks?

A lot of things put into games are merely wastes of time to occupy the player and either keep them distracted from the fact that main game sucks (eg: RPGs with more mini games than main story) or serve as a way to reuse the little content there actually is to generate high playing hours and "replay value" and make the game seem bigger/longer than it really is (eg: taking 20 mins to get to Baal, having to go back and forth though the same level 15 times, etc).

Marine%2BMouse.jpg

The goal is to get the cheese. Everything else is irrelevant.

Personally I enjoy building a character up from nothing and earning it, otherwise you might as well just hex edit your character to 99 and take all the fun out of it. But things like multi level random dungeons with changing exit locations piss me off when I need to farm/grind a specific thing and they just get in the way of game enjoyment. I don't feel like wasting 30 minutes wiping out an entire area of dead end after dead end killing things that don't give me loot or experience just to find the damn stairs or quickly get the quest item I want. I don't consider map revealing in those cases to be cheating.

Last edited:

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
All those who hack want control over their games when they can't have control over their lives. They do it because they derive pleasure from it or are just idiots. Of course we care because then they do it in multiplayer which affects those who don't have these issues...

Yeah, um....

They do it for one very simple reason. They can.

Hackers don't hack to hurt people (at least the vast majority don't). They do it because they have a skill set and like to exercise it. They have learned how things work and how to manipulate them to their advantage. We all do it, if not in code, in real life.

Not saying that the net result is nice or pleasant for those of us who don't or can't, but from their perspective, they learned. So can you.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Yeah, um....

They do it for one very simple reason. They can.

Hackers don't hack to hurt people (at least the vast majority don't). They do it because they have a skill set and like to exercise it. They have learned how things work and how to manipulate them to their advantage. We all do it, if not in code, in real life.

Not saying that the net result is nice or pleasant for those of us who don't or can't, but from their perspective, they learned. So can you.

Moral of the story: Cheaters always prosper. If they get banned, they'll just buy another copy with the money they made from botting/selling hacked gear.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Nah, I botted in wow because I didn't feel like grinding another character up. I had too much to do in real life than to run the same quests over again. I did get caught though... and banned haha. Fun times.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Awesome! This is great news! And I was afraid that in Diablo III it will be impossible to hack.. ; )

laxie16

Mar 30, 2012
Hopefully the 'Warden' is monitoring the hacks in beta. I sure hope so, hated seeing D2 ruined by hackers and bots.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Moral of the story: Cheaters always prosper. If they get banned, they'll just buy another copy with the money they made from botting/selling hacked gear.

I wouldn't say 'That'. I would say "Don't get bogged down in how other people are having fun playing a game. Play and have fun yourself. Let the rest take care of itself."

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I wouldn't say 'That'. I would say "Don't get bogged down in how other people are having fun playing a game. Play and have fun yourself. Let the rest take care of itself."

Fine for you, if you want to play a single player game go right ahead.

But for people who want to get into this game and be a part of the economy and community it boils down to this really: Cheaters will always find a way and prosper.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Meh, at worst the price of stuff in RMAH crashes like in WoW with gold farmers botting about. If you don't intend to use RMAH I can't even see how that is going to affect you.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
I don't hack, but I don't understand getting butt hurt about people who do. You call them pathetic, yet you're upset about a video game.

I've had hacks used against me before in a PvP game. Radar, speedhack, and lag jumping in DAoC. However, it has never affected me emotionally because it's just a game. It has no significant impact on my life.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Nope. Its what noobs in that game tend to say when they get pwned, but since maps are hosted on S2's servers, it is not possible to run any maphacks.

I have no idea whether they exist for HoN or not, but just because something is kept server side doesn't mean it's inaccessible entirely. It is more secure though, yes.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Slightly off-topic...but it seems one can play casually and in time, sell off some rare items he happened to find for real money, eventually making some very nice money (unless bot-farming completely depreciates everything).
Is that correct?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Slightly off-topic...but it seems one can play casually and in time, sell off some rare items he happened to find for real money, eventually making some very nice money (unless bot-farming completely depreciates everything).
Is that correct?

Theoretically, yes. But I don't think you'll make much money off anything but a truly exceptional item.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Is that correct?

My guess is if you want to make anything decent you're either going to need to devout your life to it or do something that's equivalent to winning the lottery (chance upon an ultra in demand item).

Goothry

Oct 25, 2011
Seems to me that Blizzard wins no matter what, like a previous person mentioned.

Regardless if there are hacks or not, when people buy items through the AH Blizzard gets a cut of those sales. If a hacker gets 1000 uber items to sell through his use of hacks, and then sells them through the AH, Blizzard will get its fair share. The only way Blizzard loses is if they sell items through third party sites.

Either way, I won't be disappointed if people hack or if they don't. Supposing that people hack, dupe, etc. there will be a huge increase of goods sold on the AH. This would inevitably lead to lower prices for goods. That uber piece of gear, which would otherwise cost you $10, is now only 50 cents because it was duped. I myself won't use any hacks, but I sure as hell benefit from others using them.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I could more of see blizzard generating godlike items that you can't actually find in the game and then selling them on the AH under the guise of being an actual player found item.