Diablo II Lord of Destruction patch 1.13

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
not sure I like the respec option. is it unlimited? thats a HUGE change to the game.

also, what is....

"- Players of Hell Difficulty Realm games are hereby warned once again,
that a series of new and challenging tests await you! The answer lies
within Diablo's Bosses, which span across the world from the Den of Evil
to the Throne of Destruction...
"

Is there a new ubers kind of thing or what? I haven't played in about a year, doubt I'll start again

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Wow. FML. My hammerdin is a worthless piece of shit now. Sad times guys. No uber leveling anymore? :(

fuck.. Seriously, man fuck. >_< You realize how many people built shit all around hammerdins?

Well Blizz sorcs are unaffected I guess...

It would have been nice to get a lot of new items though.

basically just what happened with any major patch that came along (1.04, 1.07-1.09, 1.10). Seeing how ridiculously easy it is to make a new character and bring him/her up to speed in this game compared to other online RPGs, you really shouldn't complain :p

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Hammerdians were super noob class anyways. I realize the game got to the point where it was kind of dependent on them, but there was a LONG time when that build did not even exist... Extremely easy and cheap to make one, thus making them very stupid. I am glad they are nerfed.

And uberleveling was gone anyways in this patch since you can no longer get exp from the minions.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
The patch is a HUGE disappointment for me.

First I don't know why it took them so many years to patch the dupe bug. If they did it now, I don't know what was stopping them before.

TPPK still works? WTF? How could this be ignored?

They kept screaming on various forum that this is a patch of truly epic proportions... They asked people what they want to see in the new patch which game me the idea that they will add truly new features and lots of them. I expected a high res patch, not just wide monitor support.

I remember getting pwned instantly by will-o-wisps in hell. It was stupid and incredibly frustrating. Now, so many years later, then it hardly matters they decide to address this all of a sudden.

There is just NOTHING truly EPIC in this patch! Nothing at all!

Respec? Very nice.... But they only did this because D3 is coming. I bet they'd never do this EVER if this was not the case. The reason why there was no respec is because they wanted people to keep making new characters and keep playing indefinitely. Now, it looks like they simply don't care, since they rather everyone play D3 when that comes out, and relive Blizzard of having to keep running D2 servers. In a way the new respec option might be a bad thing. With an ability to "fix" a poorly built character, people have less incentive to start over and keep playing. This might equal to less people playing and the game ultimately dying. Technically this game has been "dead" for many for a while now, so no worries there.

Hammerdin nerf? OMG!! Finally!!!! It's about frigging time! I mean... This build, along with a bot has pretty much became a requirement to play the game. But why take action about this so damn late when it hardly matters?!

Bleh... One word.. Fail.

/end of rant

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
To be fair, no IM by o-knights is a welcome change, that will make leveling my barb a bit easier. Like I cared about leveling so much anyway..

Bleh... One word.. Fail.

From the looks of it, things just don't sound all that exciting which is why I didn't fire up my client yet. Doesn't quite sound like as epic a failure as the version just before the LoD launch (v1.07 I believe) was IMO, but that's not saying much :)

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Hammerdians were super noob class anyways. I realize the game got to the point where it was kind of dependent on them, but there was a LONG time when that build did not even exist... Extremely easy and cheap to make one, thus making them very stupid. I am glad they are nerfed.

And uberleveling was gone anyways in this patch since you can no longer get exp from the minions.

Wait, what? Are you kidding? Hammerdins usually cost a shitload to make if you're starting from nothing. You can't even make one initially... You have to make a magic find sorc of some kind and then MF forever until you get some godly's then trade them ... and you have to trade a lot to get high runes and shit that are required for enigma, hoto, etc.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Wait, what? Are you kidding? Hammerdins usually cost a shitload to make if you're starting from nothing. You can't even make one initially... You have to make a magic find sorc of some kind and then MF forever until you get some godly's then trade them ... and you have to trade a lot to get high runes and shit that are required for enigma, hoto, etc.

nub ;) if you've played d2 for a decent amount of time it is pretty friggin easy to setup a hammerdin. not as cheap as a glitch sorc, but cheap. speaking of which, can you still glitch mf?

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005

Pfffffft. My Strafeazon mowed down everything in the way. 500+ dex FTW !

Occ

Nov 11, 2009
I think they'd need a completely new textures library for that, they can't just "stretch" the existing ones.

This, except replace "textures" with "sprites." The reason it is not easy to use a higher resolution is because the game uses sprites for everything. 3D rendered games use 3D models with textures on them, and the models can be rendered at any resolution. Maybe the textures will look bad at too high a resolution, but at least the models would look better. You'd get zero benefit from rendering sprites at a higher resolution, though.

That's not really how it works. A high resolution patch to a 2D game simply makes the viewable area. This is usually done by modifying the .exe in clever ways. The sprites and textures maintain their original size and are not stretched or changed at all. You don't need any new resources or anything. The downside is certain UI elements and text become rather small or out of place. This has been done successfully by very dedicated fans for Fallout 1 + 2, Bioware's old Infinity engine, and Starcraft (though it's considered a hack I believe).

Here is what a high res D2 looks like with a fan made patch (good luck getting it working though, apparently it's pretty buggy):
diablo2-1280x1024.jpg

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Pfffffft. My Strafeazon mowed down everything in the way. 500+ dex FTW !

Yeah... Ok.. Zons are shit without an amazing bow/jav. :<

I've been using my Fireball/Meteor/Orb(To clear fire immunes) sorc now and she can't do shit even with like 93FCR and 7k fireballs... Meph takes a long time and andy is troublesome because she can practically 1 hit me and her creeps can too. :(

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005

I've been using my Fireball/Meteor/Orb(To clear fire immunes) sorc now and she can't do shit even with like 93FCR and 7k fireballs... Meph takes a long time and andy is troublesome because she can practically 1 hit me and her creeps can too. :(

A decent fb sorc should be doing at least 15k and hit the 105 FCR breakpoint. 93 FCR is pointless because you are still only at the 63 FCR breakpoint.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005

It does not require a super elite bow. I wound up with a WF killing almost as fast as a Hammerdin but as Kuku worked VERY VERY well.

Runes weren't hard to get with perfect gems either. I had some runeword bows also. They all worked great.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I play SP and found a Lo & Mal runes. It's like striking lottery in D2 :D

Then it took me 4 days to craft a 5-socket phase blade for Grief...The ultimate melee weapon.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
You know what I'd love to see? Once they release Diablo 3, if they ported all of Diablo 2 to that game engine.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
The patch is a HUGE disappointment for me.

First I don't know why it took them so many years to patch the dupe bug. If they did it now, I don't know what was stopping them before.

TPPK still works? WTF? How could this be ignored?

They kept screaming on various forum that this is a patch of truly epic proportions... They asked people what they want to see in the new patch which game me the idea that they will add truly new features and lots of them. I expected a high res patch, not just wide monitor support.

I remember getting pwned instantly by will-o-wisps in hell. It was stupid and incredibly frustrating. Now, so many years later, then it hardly matters they decide to address this all of a sudden.

There is just NOTHING truly EPIC in this patch! Nothing at all!

Respec? Very nice.... But they only did this because D3 is coming. I bet they'd never do this EVER if this was not the case. The reason why there was no respec is because they wanted people to keep making new characters and keep playing indefinitely. Now, it looks like they simply don't care, since they rather everyone play D3 when that comes out, and relive Blizzard of having to keep running D2 servers. In a way the new respec option might be a bad thing. With an ability to "fix" a poorly built character, people have less incentive to start over and keep playing. This might equal to less people playing and the game ultimately dying. Technically this game has been "dead" for many for a while now, so no worries there.

Hammerdin nerf? OMG!! Finally!!!! It's about frigging time! I mean... This build, along with a bot has pretty much became a requirement to play the game. But why take action about this so damn late when it hardly matters?!

Bleh... One word.. Fail.

/end of rant

Wow, you expect a lot out of blizzard. Really there is probably 1 guy in a dark corner everyone at blizzard forgot about still working on diablo2.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
You know what I'd love to see? Once they release Diablo 3, if they ported all of Diablo 2 to that game engine.

And I'd love blowjobs from a revolving line of Victoria's Secret models. Neither one is gonna happen.

Unfortunately, my nagging addiction for this game will have me playing this new, shitty patch once it's finally released. Will probably do what I always do... start off on HC, sell a bunch of shit to fund my assassin dueler, and then get bored quickly beating up on people.

Rinse and repeat.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
A decent fb sorc should be doing at least 15k and hit the 105 FCR breakpoint. 93 FCR is pointless because you are still only at the 63 FCR breakpoint.

To hit the higher breakpoints and that high of a FB requires a lot of skillers, torch, and an anni.. You think a MF sorc that I just started is going to have all that shit when you don't have any FG, etc?

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
To hit the higher breakpoints and that high of a FB requires a lot of skillers, torch, and an anni.. You think a MF sorc that I just started is going to have all that shit when you don't have any FG, etc?

He was trying to say that there's no point having over 63FCR until you have 105FCR, since you don't cast faster until you hit a breakpoint.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
He was trying to say that there's no point having over 63FCR until you have 105FCR, since you don't cast faster until you hit a breakpoint.

There is a lightning breakpoint you hit. http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485631

Faster Cast Rate
FCR &#37; FPC
0 13
9 12
20 11
37 10
63 9
105 8
200 7

Lightning / Chain Lightning Faster Cast Rates
FCR % FPC
0 19
7 18
15 17
23 16
37 15
52 14
78 13
117 12

I was a light sorc but I respec'd

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I don't understand why anyone is investing any significant time in this PTR - in a couple weeks the patch will be released (hopefully) and any character you have on the PTR is going to be gone. It's fun just to poke in and see what it looks like, but I certainly wouldn't invest any time whatsoever into a character.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I don't understand why anyone is investing any significant time in this PTR - in a couple weeks the patch will be released (hopefully) and any character you have on the PTR is going to be gone. It's fun just to poke in and see what it looks like, but I certainly wouldn't invest any time whatsoever into a character.

lulz... Yeah, and blizzard will release Diablo 3 on time...