Diablo 3 benchmarks GPU/CPU see if your setup is fast enough

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
the problem with their methology is the area (Old Tristam) they chose to benchmark

there's basically nothing going on in terms of mobs. while this creates consistency for benchmarking, it doesn't stress GPU or CPU at all because nothing is going on except

I would have preferred the benchmark happen in the 4 pillar area that summons skeletons before the Skeleton King room. there would have been more variance but that area is much more GPU/CPU intensive than running around Old Tristam

people are going to be deceived if they place too much trust in those FPS #s reported by THW

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Kinda silly to check for such a thing IMO - Blizzard have ALWAYS catered to nearly anyone with a PC made in the last 5-6 years, at least. This isn't the new Crysis.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
This was linked to in the Official Diablo 3 Thread which is stickied at the top of the forum.

Kinda silly to check for such a thing IMO - Blizzard have ALWAYS catered to nearly anyone with a PC made in the last 5-6 years, at least. This isn't the new Crysis.

Was this true with SC2? I never played it but I remember some murmurings about it being not so smooth at times.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
You got me there...SC2 is the only blizzard title that I have not played.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
GTX580 got 108fps min at 1920 and highest detail...

I'm planning on getting either a 680 or 670 for my new rig (depending on when I build it) lol 680 wasn't even on the test. Guess it is too high.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
/licks my HD6850 CF setup

I have an HD6870 CF setup.

I wonder how Diablo 3, Blizzard and AMD will cope with CF. I guess if there were any problems then AMD would have released a CF Profile for it already :)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Beta must have had issues on my end. I could NOT reach stable and playable framerates with everything maxed at 1080p on my 560 Ti SLI setup (2GB cards).

Driver issue?

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I hope they aren't doing this benchmark off of the beta because Blizzard has already said that the released version is going to run much much better than the beta.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011

I wonder how Diablo 3, Blizzard and AMD will cope with CF. I guess if there were any problems then AMD would have released a CF Profile for it already :)

Judging from the results the game won't need CF.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010

According to the review, they get near 100% scaling, even at low resolutions, so you should be fine.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I wouldn't consider it silly have you ever tried to run SC2 on an older PC ?

Last edited:

xAlias

Aug 1, 2006
Somehow i dont feel these benchmarks are valid at later levels or levels with more monsters/ effects. My fps in the beta was all over the place depending on certain areas.

So I would take these benchmarks with a pinch of salt especially whoever are on the lower end of the spectrum.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Because the game always stutters when loading new assets, it actually doesn't play smoothly at all during the first few minutes and you'll encounter a random stutter here and there despite the high FPS. Hopefully they've fixed this.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because the game always stutters when loading new assets, it actually doesn't play smoothly at all during the first few minutes and you'll encounter a random stutter here and there despite the high FPS. Hopefully they've fixed this.

I noticed this on the Beta which was annoying and your're right I hope they fix it too!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
the problem with their methology is the area (Old Tristam) they chose to benchmark

there's basically nothing going on in terms of mobs. while this creates consistency for benchmarking, it doesn't stress GPU or CPU at all because nothing is going on except

I agree. I think they would have been better off doing 3 Skeleton King runs and reporting the average, min, and max of the three. But to do that would have taken a lot more time. So we need to wait until someone serious about benchmarking the game reports something.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I only noticed stuttering when I started playing the game without it being done downloading. In this case, it wasn't just loading new assets, it was downloading new assets. :p

Note that I also did not play during the open beta, and my system specs may be slightly higher than some in some aspects:

i5-2500k (stock clocks), AMD 6950 / GeForce 680 (use 680 now), 8GB RAM, SSD

Maybe I didn't see stuttering because I put D3 on the same SSD as WoW and SC2? SSDs are pretty awesome in regard to random access.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Somehow i dont feel these benchmarks are valid at later levels or levels with more monsters/ effects. My fps in the beta was all over the place depending on certain areas.

So I would take these benchmarks with a pinch of salt especially whoever are on the lower end of the spectrum.

1. There was an audio bug that dragged down FPS. Fixed in retail.

2. Retail will more optimized without the bug collecting features consuming extra resources found in the beta.

3. If you were playing open beta, judging performance from that is not accurate because the whole point of that event was to stress test the servers to the limit. Whatever you experienced can very well be just from server overload.

4. And lastly if you play the game without assets fully installed it will suck. Period.