Diablo 1 Re-Released! (But on GOG.com ?!)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, its not the HD remaster so many of us have been wanting, but it is something at least. It has some quality of life improvements which should make things nicer.

Wish it used the modern b.net implementation so that I did not have to manually open up ports in my firewall.

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

Reactions: KeithP

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
An amazing out-of-the-blue surprise. Zero DRM, unlike that BS stunt Blizzard pulled with Starcraft Remastered. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Warcraft 2.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
An amazing out-of-the-blue surprise. Zero DRM, unlike that BS stunt Blizzard pulled with Starcraft Remastered. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Warcraft 2.

CDProjekt reportedly stated that they will be releasing Warcraft 1 and 2 on GOG. I am thinking this means no remaster :(

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
CDProject reported stated that they will be releasing Warcraft 1 and 2 on GOG. I am thinking this means no remaster :(
I didn't think anyone was able to re-release Blizzard content but if this gets me a Warcraft 2 re-release, I'm all for it. Hell, I'd even donate to a kickstarter to get Warcraft 2 re-released (hoping for HD so long as they keep the original sound files).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Why, don't we all already own all these?
I do and while I keep a Plextor case with my favorite older games and CD keys, it's just a hassle to pull them out, put wear on the discs, wait for the installation, when I could just download the digital copy and get instant updates and play without having to swap discs. Basically we're paying a little bit for a quality of life upgrade.

Now, if they put D1 and WC2 up on the store for full price ($20 or more), then I won't be buying them. If they drop down to around $10 or less, I'll definitely grab them.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have the original CD's for Diablo and Hellfire, but hate to think how they'd run today.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have the original CD's for Diablo and Hellfire, but hate to think how they'd run today.

For the most part, they don't, under windows 10. Even under an emulator it looks horrible. Now you can use the Diablo 1 HD mod to run it on newer machines.

I started to replay through Diablo 1 with the version released by CDProjekt and so far its run flawless.

Last edited:

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
For the most part, they don't, under windows 10. Even under an emulator it looks horrible. Now you can use the Diablo 1 HD mod to run it on newer machines.

I started to replay through Diablo 1 with the version released by CDProjekt and so far its walked flawless.

I have D1+Hellfire on Cd but bought this as it walks (fixed your post, no run in D1 without Hellfire) just fine, even with the D1 HD mod the CD versions are sometimes hit & miss.

Reactions: Stuka87

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have D1+Hellfire on Cd but bought this as it walks (fixed your post, no run in D1 without Hellfire) just fine, even with the D1 HD mod the CD versions are sometimes hit & miss.

LOL, yes. If only the base game let me run in town like the Belzebub mod did.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Did they modify this Diablo? I saw something about quality of life features added. Were soulstones in the original? Was this soundtrack (which is in Diablo II) in the original? I remember the original you got a stairway to town about every 4 levels.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Did they modify this Diablo? I saw something about quality of life features added. Were soulstones in the original? Was this soundtrack (which is in Diablo II) in the original? I remember the original you got a stairway to town about every 4 levels.

I don't know the back story, but Blizzard has given the rights to CDProjekt to sell Diablo, Warcraft, and Warcraft 2. This Diablo contains the original, and the DX version (DirectX) which has pixel mapping to allow it to run on high resolution screens without looking like a blurry mess.

The Lord of Terror's soul stone appears at the end of Diablo 1 when the dark wanderer takes it.

The soundtrack is 100% original.

The stairways to town are still there at the start of each new area. The first being in the catacombs which is technically level five.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, soundtrack is original turns out - best game soundtrack ever IMO. Total Annihilation in second. Stanley Parable is up there also.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Diablo 1 isnt that great. Each character has one unique skill that isnt even all that useful. And the levels get very boring. All underground and not much variation.
Music was good though.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Diablo 1 isnt that great. Each character has one unique skill that isnt even all that useful. And the levels get very boring. All underground and not much variation.
Music was good though.

At the time that it came out, it was ground breaking. The game is 21 years old, and I found it very playable still. Is it as deep and rich as newer games? Of course not. But newer games used this as a finger print to copy and build off of.

On a side note, CDPR also released the Hellfire expansion for Diablo 1 some time back.