WD 640GB SATA
Hitachi 750GB SATA
Asus DVD -/+ R/RW PATA
Onboard audio
4 120mm fans
DFI Lanparty UT P35-t2r with latest official bios
Visiontek 4890 1GB PCI-e
D-link Wireless N PCI-e card

Heres the problem, before I had a Xeon 3110 processor and everything was great. With the falling prices of quads due to i7 and i5, I decided it was time to jump on a quad processor to future proof the system for another year or two. Got a brand new Q9550 processor in retail box from newegg. Popped in the processor, checked bios settings and everything looked good. Booted into windows 7 and it crashed....on reboot, the bios screen started to display wild corruption and the video card fan was on full speed. Shut the machine off. Since then, I can only boot the system if it has been powered off for 15-20 minutes and then it will boot into windows. But if I make any changes to the bios or power the system off entirely, it will not boot again until the 20 minutes or so.

I replaced the processor with the old one and everything was back to normal again. I am I looking at a slightly defective Q9550 processor or is there some setting I need to check in the bios for a quad to work vs a core 2 duo?

I also tried some of the earlier bios...same problem all the way around. This happens with default settings or load optimized settings.

starams5

May 7, 2009
A clean install is not necessary to update the HAL but generally best if you are having problems. Granted this shouldn't have anything to do with the flaky bios thing, this sounds more like a lack of power or overheating issue. Are you using a 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power connection?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Did a clean install after the horrible crash...SSD's dont like to crash and neither does windows 7. When/if it boots normally and makes it to windows it performs just fine. But it cannot reboot from a shutdown or bios change that requires the computer to power down all the way.

I'm lost here on this one. I had though of power problems, but I have my doubts as its a PC power and cooling 860W with a single 12V rail. All connections are plugged in, 24pin and extra 8pin.

I dont have my manual anymore, I see plenty of jumpers on this board.....are any of them for ticking a quad core support by chance?

Oh, I should clarify when I say it wont boot....normally when the computer boots, the fan on the video card spins up full speed briefly then slows to normal speed. When it fails to boot, the hds spin up, the video card is spinning normal, there are no lights on the error code panel.

starams5

May 7, 2009
The last time I had the flaky bios thing it turned out to be the PSU, I replaced it and all was fine. But that PC&C 860w should be able to handle your specs with no problem I would think although I never owned one. It's a good PSU from what I've heard.

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
I just noticed sometimes the code panel does light up....code 88. Did a little researching and it seems this may not be good. Alot of users experiencing a similar problem. They point it to either a borked bios upgrade or a possible NB burn out. Since I just did a bios upgrade before the new processor maybe something didnt go according to plan. I am going to retry flashing with an older bios, hopefully I can get this figured out without getting a new board.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Originally posted by: ckellly81
I just noticed sometimes the code panel does light up....code 88. Did a little researching and it seems this may not be good. Alot of users experiencing a similar problem. They point it to either a borked bios upgrade or a possible NB burn out. Since I just did a bios upgrade before the new processor maybe something didnt go according to plan. I am going to retry flashing with an older bios, hopefully I can get this figured out without getting a new board.

Good idea, flash by USB stick or floppy and pull the CMOS battery when done to clear the bios. Post back and let us know how it went.

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Still not working properly. Not sure whats going on.....with the Xeon 3110 everything is normal, with the Q9550 not. I accidently loaded the settings for my 3110 onto the Q9550 and when I started it up this time it was overclocked to 3400....and is operating that way just fine. There has to be something flaky going on with the combination. Right now I am looking at a P45 replacement board since this one is giving me weird fits.