DFI NF4 Ultra-D appropriate for first time builder?

imported_andyc

Jun 1, 2005
Hello,

I am about to build my first computer and was wondering if the DFI NF4 Ultra-D would be too hard for me. Everyone says that this board is only for the overclockers and the extreme. However, I will be into overclocking in the future and want a more future proof overclocking board.

People are saying they get lost in the bios and such. I have already read the online manual for this board and it seems alright. I'll be willing to take the time and effort to get it to work.

I've installed PCI-cards, Hard drives, ram, etc. so I know how to build the rest, but I have not installed a motherboard and CPU and heatsink before. However, I have read many articles on setting up motherboards and getting it to work.

So I'm wondering, is it hard to set this thing up?
Is this board tough for a first time builder?
Is there anyone that built a computer with this board as their first?

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
you'll be fine. you can use any of the bios you like or just leave them on default/auto.

the biggest problem people have is not taking the time to read and learn about it. if you take that time you'll be fine. i spent a week or so at dfi.street reading and bookmarking threads, pm'ing members i saw here and there and asking questions.

i had no issues, btw it was my first tru full build. like you i had upgraded and swapped parts etc.

dfi.street is a great resource. make sure you get compatible/recommended parts and you'll love it. i got 2 more i liked them so much :)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
you should be fine, you don't really need to venture into the BIOS to much to get your system running. Plugging in the devices are the same for same socket motherboards.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
thats the main thing. the new boards are shippin with very nice bios so unless you have an x2 you should be fine out of the gate.

just be sure to check the stickied threads at dfi.street. they have lists of compatible memory, proper install procedures, raid tutorials, etc.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
It is a nice board, but why would you trouble yourself with all that work?

It's your first build, pick something easier I'd say. Putting the components together is child's play, but picking the right components for this board is a different story.

If you must have this board re-read at DFI-street what everyone else is getting and go from there. Not to bash the board but it would not work with my new top of the line components, so I got an Asus board swapped components and it fired up the first time no problems.

Happy building and good luck.

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
DFI boards are fun. Also, they don't *have* to be complicated, you can just take default settings and it isn't that bad. It's just difficult when you want to play with the myriad of tweaking options it gives you.

Velk

Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: andyc
Hello,

I am about to build my first computer and was wondering if the DFI NF4 Ultra-D would be too hard for me. Everyone says that this board is only for the overclockers and the extreme. However, I will be into overclocking in the future and want a more future proof overclocking board.

For that, it is an excellent choice.

People are saying they get lost in the bios and such. I have already read the online manual for this board and it seems alright. I'll be willing to take the time and effort to get it to work.

It has more memory options than some other boards have bios options in total. This is not necessarily a problem though, insofar as most of them work at defaults and are there to give you more control over things.

I've installed PCI-cards, Hard drives, ram, etc. so I know how to build the rest, but I have not installed a motherboard and CPU and heatsink before. However, I have read many articles on setting up motherboards and getting it to work.

This part is easy. ZIF sockets and the retention frame make installing a CPU and heatsink easier than installing a harddrive. Unless you go somewhat silly on the heatsink that is - a zalman 7700 makes life a little more interesting.

Is this board tough for a first time builder?

Yes. It's more finicky than a lot of other boards. If you don't want to fiddle with it I wouldn't recommend it. Given you said that you want to get into overclocking though, that shouldn't be a problem.