Info DF does "Budget" Card Showdown

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Eurogamer article for those that prefer to read -

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-amd-radeon-rx-7600-vs-nvidia-rtx-3060-vs-arc-a750

Richard should have noted DXVK can make a big difference in the older Assassins Creed games. It helped performance a lot in Odyssey for me. I picked up Syndicate for dirt cheap; I'll see how that does.

At $200 the A750 is the card to buy. At the present $240, it's hard to recommend. Too close in price to the 3060 12GB and 6700. They both have the extra vram and better rounded OOB experiences. Plus greater game compatibility.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
What's up with the emphasis on RT and then treating rasterization as an afterthought? I mean who is playing Dying Light 2 with full RT on this class of gpu? Wow the 3060 gets 27 fps to beat the 7600 that gets 22 fps at these settings. And Cyberpunk with full RT? They're calling 45 fps good with upscaling? If I'm averaging 45 then I'm likely dipping below 40 at times and going out of FreeSync range on my monitor, and many high refresh rate monitors only have a FreeSync range down to 48 Hz. I really want to be at more like 50 fps to make sure I'm not dipping below the 40 Hz FreeSync range on my monitor when gaming.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
What's up with the emphasis on RT and then treating rasterization as an afterthought?
They are just following the tenets of the most holy script as dictated by the one true god Jensen.

( everyone knows digital foundry ritually sacrificed their souls years ago, rumor has it they were allowed to briefly gaze upon the jacket as a "reward" )

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Control + Cyberpunk + Dying Light, are 3 of the biggest outliers where RT performance is really hitting AMD cards hard. All of those 3 games are on a very short list of games used for testing ;) Don't get me wrong, it's is a good thing - if it represents future RT performance.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Control + Cyberpunk + Dying Light, are 3 of the biggest outliers where RT performance is really hitting AMD cards hard. All of those 3 games are on a very short list of games used for testing ;) Don't get me wrong, it's is a good thing - if it represents future RT performance.

They also test RT on F1 22, Metro Exodus, and Hitman 3.

Do you have a better list for RT testing?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
AC: Syndicate was okay with DX11 until I got to London and it tanked hard into the 20s. Vulkan took 30 seconds or so to finish compiling shaders, which had the 5600X at up to 85% usage. Then it was locked 60 with everything maxed except MSSA. That setting has the same issue Black Flag has, with the weird lighting and shadows in the foreground, superimposed on everything.

Cyberpunk, I don't use any RT but reflections. Outside of overdrive the lighting and shadows are not even close to being worth the performance hit. That everyone does it, really does feel like they are following the Nvidia reviewers guide. The A750 can play the game well with RT reflections and fairly optimized settings at 1080. XeSS looks much better than FSR too. I would have sworn FSR had solved most of the ghosting problem before one of the latest game updates. Now it's as bad as FSR 1.

Reactions: ZGR