DEVSLP Free ~0.25 Watt Savings for All Tablets?

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
Kristian mentioned but did not test DEVSLP in his Plextor M5M review
HTML:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6722/plextor-m5m-256gb-msata-review
Testing was not possible because DEVSLP requires support from the chipset (or SoC), the SSD, and the operating system. Chip support may not have hit the market yet so testing was off the table. However, Kristian noted this feature is supported by Haswell.

DEVSLP enables a SSD "Device Sleep" state that requires less power than idle. From Kristian's review (as commented) the Plextor idles at 410 mw and Device Sleep state requires 1 mw. The cost is a 100 ms delay in startup from sleep. While a sub 0.5 watt savings is not interesting with a plug, I was curious whether DEVSLP might be help my router while it was running a P2P daemon at a moderate activity level with a 1 Mb/sec internet connection. I tracked disk activity every .01 sec period for a 10 sec duration and observed that my disk was idle 99.5% of the time (assuming a 100 ms recovery from sleep). Assuming 0.41 watt normal idle, DEVSLP might save me about 0.38 watts with the Plextor M5M in this application. A fast estimate of video using a conventional DVD rip played in Totem suggested about 60% disk idle time which might be worth 0.246 watt savings. I assume comparable benefits are available in a variety of operating systems though my observations were made under Debian Wheezy using iotop, amuled, and totem. Tablets are different from desktops and my methodology is questionable, but it looks like DEVSLP might be worth ~0.25 watts in a variety of situations such as browsing where you read pages (rather than run a benchmark). Given the recent mobile focus on low activity efficiency, some thought about "low activity" benchmarks might be helpful. The "Light Workload 2011" benchmark is way too heavy to capture this benefit.

While ~0.25 watts is less than tip money on a router, in tablets it means better battery life. DEVSLP is an industry standard promoted by SanDisk. Intel went public with DEVSLP support for Haswell and Bing is litered with referances to ARM SSD controllers implementing DEVSLP support. Ultimately, everyone benefits but I have seen nothing that indicates whether Intel or ARM will implement in mainstream (non Haswell) tablets this Xmas.

Game time for "ARM vs Intel" officially starts with the release of Silvermont at 22 nm. DEVSLP represents a significant dropped ball opportunity at the opening. In this niche a free ~0.25 watt matters. Any team on the field that uniquely does not support DEVSLP should be punished in the market for failure to support this industry standard resulting in worse battery life. I would be shocked if Intel fails to support DEVSLP on Silvermont but no announcement has been made. Is anyone knowledgeable whether ARM vendors intend to support DEVSLP in tablet chips (not SSD controllers) this Xmas? Other than dropped ball at open issue, everyone benefits. However, a dropped ball may move market share fast.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
DEVSLP, is one of the features in Haswell to allow Connected Standby. Without it, it wouldn't be able to meet that spec.

Any device that wants to support Windows 8's Connected Standby will have an SSD that supports DEVSLP.

Then again, ARM devices and Intel Clover Trail devices use eMMC, which has really good idle power management and probably has their own form of DEVSLP anyway. It's the SATA supporting Core based devices that DEVSLP is important for.

So in summary: DEVSLP is a non-starter for ARM and low power Intel chips like Z2760. But its a new one for PCs.

Also, its worth mentioning DEVSLP is probably only supported by Haswell ULT chips, or Ultrabook bound.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Considering all the issues with SSDs and normal sleep states (does DIPM even work yet on any platform?), I'm not holding my breath for a working DEVSLP anytime soon.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Well I would hope that the NAND in a tablet has much better sleep power granularity than 100mS. That is just plain crappy. As I been saying for 5 years, intel should have an SSD controller built into the SoC so they can remove most of that 100mS delay and keep the NAND unpowered except only when it is needed. Now that its 2013 it is absurdly comical that they still dont have one. Duh.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
DEVSLP, is one of the features in Haswell to allow Connected Standby. Without it, it wouldn't be able to meet that spec.

Any device that wants to support Windows 8's Connected Standby will have an SSD that supports DEVSLP.
I hope it's not "Allow wake timers" in hardware :D

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Considering all the issues with SSDs and normal sleep states (does DIPM even work yet on any platform?), I'm not holding my breath for a working DEVSLP anytime soon.

Desktop support isn't widespread, but DIPM(and its associated HIPM) is used in most recent laptops.

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
I am pleased no one disputes that the potential savings from this class of technology is significant in a tablet application. If Microsoft requires DEVSLP for connected standby in Windows 8, Silvermont will support DEVSLP. I have faith Anandtech will impartially review whether Intel's implementation is any good when an appropriate test vehicle becomes available. As part of that review, they may address whether the 100 ms DEVSLP start-up delay meaningfully detriments the user's tablet experience.

However, the question whether Intel's implementation of DEVSLP is better or worse than ARM's comparable eMMC technology is open. Which implementation better captures these potential savings? A targeted benchmark that could be applied across architectures would provide definitive, verifiable guidance on whose implementation is better. This is a competitive market so lets enjoy the fruits.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
If Microsoft requires DEVSLP for connected standby in Windows 8, Silvermont will support DEVSLP.

Reading about DEVSLP in Intel presentations say the target wake up time for DEVSLP is less than 20ms.

However, the question whether Intel's implementation of DEVSLP is better or worse than ARM's comparable eMMC technology is open.

Dealcorn, since the current Clover Trail(Z2760) Tablets all use eMMC, there's no reason to think Bay Trail, the next generation won't. In fact the Tablets may go for eMMC while Netbook/Nettop goes for SATA.

In fact, that's what it says for Bay Trail-T, the Tablet version. It only supports eMMC.

Last edited:

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
I found the following image at http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9602732#post9602732.
45nl9q.png
The "i/O" block is consistent with IntelUser2001's statement that Bay Trail-T does not support sata so DEVSLP is off the table. On this specific issue, the mainstream tablet playing field appears level this Xmas.

If DEVSLP is a required feature to support Windows connected standby, I am unable to interpret the last line of the image which identifies Bay Trail-t as supporting Windows CS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If DEVSLP is a required feature to support Windows connected standby, I am unable to interpret the last line of the image which identifies Bay Trail-t as supporting Windows CS.

What does "CS" after Windows 8 stand for?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

CS=Connected Standby

Bay Trail-T doesn't need one, because it uses eMMC. Atom Z2760 "Clover Trail" uses the same, and supports Connected Standby.

A little note about Connected Standby. Microsoft's requirement for meeting Connected Standby suggests it needs to use less than 5% battery for every 16 hours. For a 50WHr battery that means its less than 160mW, and for 35W, under 110mW. Haswell Ultrabooks aim for less than 100mW when in Connected Standby.

Also, general devices that support CS have an average wake up time of 300ms.

Last edited: